Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cable-cutting tool for touring?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cable-cutting tool for touring?

Old 05-27-23, 12:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
This is something I picked up somewhere. I use it for keeping the ends of cable from fraying and when I'm cutting the cables. It also keeps the cables form getting crushed like they do with metal cable caps. The tubing is durable, but easy to remove.

I slide a small piece of heat-shrink wire insulation over the end of the cable, use a lighter to shrink it and then cut it. The smallest diameter tubing, 3/32 does not weigh much, and I carry a lighter for my stove.

That is a smart f'ing move especially on tour and if you get some colored heat shrink tubing you could add a little flair