Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fitting an Ortlieb mounting set on a handlebar extender

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-04-23, 10:53 AM
huskerdu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I have fitted a handlebar extender on my road bike. I want to put an Ortlieb handlebar bag on it

The instructions give details of wrapping the wire around the stem but as it’s on an extender; there is no stem. Is there a way to fit it?

thanks
Old 06-04-23, 11:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Describe extender in more detail.

Is it one of these Thorn Accessory T Bars like in the photo below, or is it something else?

My bag is not an Ortlieb and the bracket is slightly different, but they are similar.

I do not think you can post photos as a new member, might not be able to post links either.
Old 06-04-23, 01:14 PM
huskerdu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It’s a Yizhet Bike Handlebar Extender. I got it on Amazon .

the problem was that I could not put the bracket on my handlebar
Old 06-04-23, 02:55 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
This is called a "dog fang chain catcher" - it's designed to go on your seat tube and keep the chain from falling off inwards. Maybe you could put one in the middle of your handlebar extender and hook the wire over it. It's plastic so not sure you can clamp it down enough to keep the bag from rotating - maybe some kind of adhesive would help.

Old 06-04-23, 05:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I did a google search on Yizhet Bike Handlebar Extender. If you are trying something like this,

I think you will be lucky if it works out for you. Put much weight in the bag and the extender might slip on the handlebar and the bar bag and extender slip downwards from where you wanted it to be.

Good luck.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-05-23, 04:13 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Why?

I have one of these handlebar extenders and a handlebar bag. I have the handlebar bag directly attached to the handlebars. The extender gives me room to mount a cycle computer and when needed a light that pokes over the bag.

With an extender you now have two points to place things: on the handlebar and on the extender. I view them as giving more bar "real estate" to mount things. So I'm curious what you are trying to do instead of using the handlebar for the bag and the extender for other things.
Old 06-05-23, 05:51 AM
huskerdu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mev;22912898]Why?

I have one of these handlebar extenders and a handlebar bag. I have the handlebar bag directly attached to the handlebars. The extender gives me room to mount a cycle computer and when needed a light that pokes over the bag.

With an extender you now have two points to place things: on the handlebar and on the extender. I view them as giving more bar "real estate" to mount things. So I'm curious what you are trying to do instead of using the handlebar for the bag and the extender for other things.

Thanks

I have a Giant Contend that has semi hydraulic brakes. So there is this big adaptor on the front of the handlebars

if you google Giant semi hydraulic
brake converter, you should see what it looks like.
Old 06-05-23, 03:52 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by huskerdu
if you google Giant semi hydraulic
brake converter, you should see what it looks like.
Got it. So essentially you have that hydraulic brake converter and you are trying to get in front with a bar extender.

Aside from the tie point back to the stem, I wonder how much weight you would end up putting in the handlebar bag. Now you have a short lever arm where the handlebar bag is on the end of the lever.
Old 06-07-23, 08:41 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Hope I'm not straying too far off topic, but what HB bag is that?

EDIT: Actually not off topic as this bag might solve the OP's problem very well!

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Describe extender in more detail.

Is it one of these Thorn Accessory T Bars like in the photo below, or is it something else?

My bag is not an Ortlieb and the bracket is slightly different, but they are similar.

I do not think you can post photos as a new member, might not be able to post links either.

Last edited by timdow; 06-07-23 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-07-23, 09:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by timdow
Hope I'm not straying too far off topic, but what HB bag is that?

EDIT: Actually not off topic as this bag might solve the OP's problem very well!
The bag is an old Louis Garneau (spell?) bag. I had to modify it, the lid had no stiffener, I cut a seam and put a piece of stiff plastic in the top of it for a stiffer lid. And the bag badly sagged as the plastic box structure in it flexed too easily, so I added some aluminum 1/8 X 1 1/2 inch bar stock (two pieces) under it to give it more support from the bottom.

Instead of attaching it to the handlebar which would put it much higher, I used the Thorn Accessory T Bar, 55mm to mount the bag.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessor...-222-mm-0-deg/

On some of my other bikes I used a second stem and a short stub from a handlebar instead of the Thorn T Bar, but on this particular bike I only had 25mm of excess steerer tube, and stems consume much more steerer tube length, so only the Thorn T Bar would work for me.

I think I got the bag at Nashbar over a decade ago. I have no idea why Amazon still shows a photo of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Louis-Garneau...dp/B003V5HOU0/
Old 06-07-23, 10:43 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Ah I see now. I just set up the same thing as you described... An additional stem with a short piece of bar on it. I use mine as a bikepacking bag standoff, but directly mounting the HB bag just to it apparently works well also. This setup makes the height and length adjustable via different stems.

To the OP: If you have a thread less headset and room for another stem, you might consider going this route if your extender does not work out. It will certainly be a very solid setup!

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The bag is an old Louis Garneau (spell?) bag. I had to modify it, the lid had no stiffener, I cut a seam and put a piece of stiff plastic in the top of it for a stiffer lid. And the bag badly sagged as the plastic box structure in it flexed too easily, so I added some aluminum 1/8 X 1 1/2 inch bar stock (two pieces) under it to give it more support from the bottom.

Instead of attaching it to the handlebar which would put it much higher, I used the Thorn Accessory T Bar, 55mm to mount the bag.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessor...-222-mm-0-deg/

On some of my other bikes I used a second stem and a short stub from a handlebar instead of the Thorn T Bar, but on this particular bike I only had 25mm of excess steerer tube, and stems consume much more steerer tube length, so only the Thorn T Bar would work for me.

I think I got the bag at Nashbar over a decade ago. I have no idea why Amazon still shows a photo of it.
https://www.amazon.com/Louis-Garneau...dp/B003V5HOU0/
Old 06-07-23, 10:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by timdow
Ah I see now. I just set up the same thing as you described... An additional stem with a short piece of bar on it. I use mine as a bikepacking bag standoff, but directly mounting the HB bag just to it apparently works well also. This setup makes the height and length adjustable via different stems.
Some of my other bikes with photos of second stems at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21946274-post4.html

I bought a total of five L Garneau bags, mostly on clearance prices to get the brackets so I have the same bracket on several bikes.
Old 06-07-23, 02:50 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts
Ortlieb bar bags are compatible with Klickfix brackets, right? Rixen and Kaul make brackets and extenders for this purpose.
Old 06-08-23, 10:34 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Yes! i did not know this, but there are lots of mounts available like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Rixen-Kaul-Kl.../dp/B003Y3PTCE

There are good options for using the mount above, but I personally would use this with a handlebar extender. The extender is not beefy enough to take the weight, will make the HB bag shake more as it is extended more, and will slip down as it shakes.

Originally Posted by Reddleman
Ortlieb bar bags are compatible with Klickfix brackets, right? Rixen and Kaul make brackets and extenders for this purpose.