Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rene Andre

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-22, 11:36 AM
ToniH. 

Bikes: 66' Rene Herse, 75' Alex Singer, 80' Routens Touring, custom Rivendell, Miyata 600GT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Rene Andre

Just got this one in the post yesterday. I love the french attitude to bicycles where the old ones are taken apart and updated to new times and riders. For what I know it used to be a Goeland from the 50’s then updated by Rene Andre, a rider from Rene Herse team that started his own shop where he fixed up bikes from other builders and put his own name on them.

I’m going to continue the bikes life in the same spirit now and convert it to a 650b randonneur.

Its impressive light. Seems to have vitus tubing. At some point someone has cut the braze ons for cyclo derailleur and pump pegs. If it rides well I might take it to someone who could braze them back.

Also it seems to have 114mm rear spacing. Does anyone know what kind of hub I should look for it?

Likes For ToniH.:
Old 11-26-22, 12:39 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

114mm rear spacing is suggestive of planetary gearing

another possibility might be compression during storage or shipment

-----
Old 11-26-22, 12:51 PM
ToniH. 

Bikes: 66' Rene Herse, 75' Alex Singer, 80' Routens Touring, custom Rivendell, Miyata 600GT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

114mm rear spacing is suggestive of planetary gearing

another possibility might be compression during storage or shipment

-----
That explains why I only founded tandem hubs with this spacing. 120mm hub seemed to fit there quite easily. Maybe I just go with it then! Thanks.
Old 11-26-22, 06:32 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Toni H.-

The 114 mm spacing would indicate a 4 speed rear cluster. Atom low flange hubs were often used with this spacing. A 120 mm would be a period correct upgrade.
Likes For bertinjim: