Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going back to running to force the excess weight off

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Thinking of going back to running to force the excess weight off

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 08:44 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 227 Posts
Started running at age 15 and ran high school track and XC. Was able to run fast enough to get an athletic scholarship for college running primarily the 1500, 5000, and the steeplechase. Ran a lot of 70-90 mile weeks. I never had any real serious injuries from running. Sure, I had shin splints, plantar fasciitis, and a few muscle related injuries but nothing that kept me down for more than a month. I stopped running competitively at age 26 and took two years off. Watched my weight increase too much so I started running again but now "retired" from competition so I only ran about 25-35 miles a week. Been doing that for the last 35 years. My mileage is less now and I have picked up a few running related injuries but no joint issues so that's good.
I started mtn biking in 1997 while living in Thailand. Five years later I started road biking and now spend more time doing that than mtn biking. Running definitely helped my cycling but cycling doesn't help my running very much. Running is far better than cycling for losing weight. It is also a quicker work out and the amount of time is a lot less for each workout. Pushing yourself away from the dining table is one area that really helps in losing weight!
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 05-03-23, 07:02 AM
Chicken_fat

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Every winter I vow that I will stay below #200 and yes I stay close but usually go over 200 sometime after thanksgiving and even if I exercise religiously all winter, I typically easily surpass 200 to 205 or higher with overindulgent eating & fewer weekly hours of exercise.

I do fitness classes every week and being almost a 61 y/o at this point I do have to continually monitor injury risk. Even though I have a moderate click in my left knee, I believe it is stable. And when I do squat type exercises, I know the importance of keeping a slight bend in my knees at all times.

Which brings me to running as a weight reduction tool: I’ve got the desire to go back to this once or twice a week in hopes that it will trim off the adipose deposits in my tummy, butt and just hidden throughout.

My weekend ride buddies are mostly skinnier than me @ ~ 160# for their 5’10” to 5’11” height. I’m 5’11” and lucky to get to 190# during the summer. So what can happen is that these fellas have a more advantageous power to weight ratio than me and as a result they can dramatically pass on the rollers and moderate hills making me have to dig deep to keep up or to be more aggressive on the downhills to level the playing field.

So my early season training goal (as always) is to drop below 200 & hopefully stay there. But realistically, it might be necessary to go all in & start incorporating running in order to move the needle more dramatically & set my goals as getting to ~185 by summer.

Anybody else come to similar conclusions about how best to tweak their training to assure you remain sub-200#?
I cycled over 7k miles last year on all kinds of terrain and all types of hills, but didn’t lose much weight and I’m 280. I didn’t start to lose serious weight until I got my diet under control. Portion size is huge. And cutting sugar.

Used to be a runner and tried to get back to it as a supplement, but knees weren’t having it.

Diet is the key.
Likes For Chicken_fat: