Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Collaboration: C&V Style

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 07:18 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts

I had a chance to put my '72 Super Sport back on the road today. I had disassembled the Campagnolo Super Record crankset with TA chain rings over the winter to loan to @jonwvara. Jon needed the 144BCD TA triplizer in order to design and begin production on the Red Clover 144BCD 42T Triplizer. His variant looks really close to my original TA.

Mine:

While I was riding I realized that "Sporty" was running another C&V collaboration project I had participated in a few years back. @HenryIII wanted to make long cages for Campagnolo Nuovo Record RDs. He needed to borrow my Rally RD so I sent it off to him. He disassembled the Rally and began experimenting with cage designs and materials to use. He provided me with a set which he installed on a Nuovo Gran Sport RD I had as a spare.

Works like a champ on the Suntour Ultra spaced 6 speed with a 30T big cog. It can probably handle a 34 with no issues whatsoever.

If you are curious and not familiar with "Sporty" here it is posing in front of the scrap pile at the Stump Dump on tonight's ride. I should probably mention it was painted by a former forum member Dr. Deltron and the decals were made by velocals.

The other collaboration of sorts was when I found an long gone Ideale Saddle at the Stump Dump. I sent it off to @rhm and it became his #10 saddle. IIRC it was the first Ideale recover so he needed to fashion blocks for forming it and even had a custom stamp made to emboss the sides. Here is what it looked like when I brought it home.

...and here it is after Rudi worked his magic!

At the moment it is off the bike it has seen about 1000 miles on. And has developed a nice coloration which could look good on "Sporty."

What C&V collaborations have you participated in or benefited from?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-09-14, 04:20 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Great stuff Bob.
Old 06-09-14, 08:38 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Too many forum members have contributed parts for various bikes I've been working on for me to make a list; I wouldn't want to leave anyone out, and anyway, it would be a long long list. I appreciate all their efforts, though. In some cases it's a matter of digging through the parts bins; in others actual work is involved.

Frank the Welder deserves special recognition because he actually made the handlebar on my Fothergill:

Here's a teaser photo of my Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, with fresh paint by Sloar. I will soon post photos of the bike, built up. The crank I'll be using is a Williams B-style cottered crank that I sent to Kroozer to have rechromed.
Old 06-09-14, 09:36 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
@rhm, seeing the headlamp in context to the bike for the first time, I didn't realize it was so large. Wow!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com