Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Novara Mazama

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Novara Mazama

Old 05-12-16, 11:21 AM
eyemkeith

Bikes: 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Novara Mazama

I'm infatuated with this bike. I went to look at one at the REI kinda sorta close to my workplace, but alas, they did not have it in the small size, only medium. As I know sometimes bikes can look radically different depending on what size you need, I'm wondering if anyone has one in a small size and could post a picture, or seven, here. All the photos I've seen are of the medium. Can anyone help out? Big thanks!
Old 05-12-16, 11:29 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
I'm infatuated with this bike. I went to look at one at the REI kinda sorta close to my workplace, but alas, they did not have it in the small size, only medium. As I know sometimes bikes can look radically different depending on what size you need, I'm wondering if anyone has one in a small size and could post a picture, or seven, here. All the photos I've seen are of the medium. Can anyone help out? Big thanks!
The one good thing about REI is that you can have them order the bike in without obligation to buy.
Old 05-12-16, 11:54 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/875003/n...zama-bike-2016

looks like a lot of other bikes made to do the same thing .. touring/gravel grinder commute , or what have You.

https://www.rei.com/product/875003/sizechart#mazama

Tubes are Just Shorter.

Mazama Is the name of the Volcano that blew its top (around 5677 BC, ± 150 years) and is Now Crater Lake NP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Mazama

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-12-16 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-12-16, 12:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Note that it's described as a light tourer. That may be what you want. Just thought I would point that out in case it's not.
Old 05-12-16, 12:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
No help on a small size pic.
Just adding to the discussion that its a really cool spec'd bike. I chuckle each time I am in REI because I built a gravel bike up from an early 90s steel hybrid frame that has the identical look to a Mazama. The Mazama has disc instead of canti brakes, but effectively thats the major difference.
Geometry is mostly same, cromoly frame, same tires, splayed bars, mounting for racks and fenders, bar end shifters, and basic but solid shifting components.

I didnt realize I had effectively copied the spirit of a Mazama until after the fact.

Be sure to post some pics and review for how you use it, if you pick one up!
Old 05-12-16, 05:35 PM
gorshkov

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This looks a lot like the Raleigh Sojourn - same basic idea, similar spec, a bit lighter. How long have they made the Mazama? I don't remember seeing it on the market when I bought my Sojourn in 2009. Another bike to look at (but it has a better spec and the price to go with it) is the Salsa Fargo.
Old 05-12-16, 06:44 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gorshkov
This looks a lot like the Raleigh Sojourn - same basic idea, similar spec, a bit lighter. How long have they made the Mazama? I don't remember seeing it on the market when I bought my Sojourn in 2009. Another bike to look at (but it has a better spec and the price to go with it) is the Salsa Fargo.
Mazama came out last year I believe
Old 05-12-16, 08:22 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Very nice looking bike, especially in the red color. I personally don't like the mountain bike cranks - the wide Q-factor messes with my runner's knees - but other than that (for me) it's spec'd very nicely. It has a nice steel frame, but it's on the heavy side, like any $1100 touring bike.. I did pick it up. But should be very durable.

Last edited by mtnroads; 05-12-16 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 02:51 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnroads
Very nice looking bike, especially in the red color. I personally don't like the mountain bike cranks - the wide Q-factor messes with my runner's knees - but other than that (for me) it's spec'd very nicely. It has a nice steel frame, but it's on the heavy side, like any $1100 touring bike.. I did pick it up. But should be very durable.
I like the looks for this Mazama bike. Sort of similar to the Surly Fargo.
Who has ridden this bike off road and what's it like to have your hands on the hoods at that angle impacting rough road? How did it perform? Are the tires overkill? Could you get this bike with STI shifters instead of barends?

Is anyone else bothered by the meaning of surly? Perhaps its just me, but the definition is "bad-tempered, unfriendly". Why would I want to travel and have this word on my bike? It is the opposite of where I'm coming from. That said I like their market niche, value and steel frame.

What's a Q-factor?
Old 05-16-16, 09:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by meyers66
I like the looks for this Mazama bike. Sort of similar to the Surly Fargo.
Who has ridden this bike off road and what's it like to have your hands on the hoods at that angle impacting rough road? How did it perform? Are the tires overkill? Could you get this bike with STI shifters instead of barends?

Is anyone else bothered by the meaning of surly? Perhaps its just me, but the definition is "bad-tempered, unfriendly". Why would I want to travel and have this word on my bike? It is the opposite of where I'm coming from. That said I like their market niche, value and steel frame.

What's a Q-factor?
1- While I havent ridden a Mazama off road, my gravel bike with bars that are the same flared angle are comfortable on the ramps, hoods, and drops. Drop bars that flare this much arent designed for riding on the hoods like a normal road bike. You can ride on the hoods, but it isnt the intended primary hand placement. Regardless, hood riding is comfortable, even at the angle.

2- The tires that come stock on the Mazama are the same ones I use on my gravel bike and I love em. They are relatively light, have low rolling resistence for the size and design, and are durable(so far). I have probably 300mi of them so far from about 15 rides. These have mostly been gravel roads, but I have been on county highways and paved bike paths too and the tires are great on pavement.

3- You could switch the setup to be STI shifting, sure. I dont think it would be as comfortable since STIs basically require you to ride the hoods most of the time, but you could swap em out. The TRP disc brakes are compatible with STI shifting.
You would have to pay for the swap. The bar end shifters and TRP brake levers would probably net $120 on ebay which would help offset the STI change.

4- I am not bothered by the name Surly. Its marketing. Its an attempt to give the company a vibe that is edgy and non-conforming since they try to market their products as being on the edge of mainstream. If you bought a Surly, you could just scratch the letters off. Surly decals are easily removed.

5- Q factor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor_(bicycles) Basically, its how far apart your crank arms are at the pedals. I have bikes with narrow Q factor and wide Q factor. Its never been an issue for me, to the point that I hadnt even thought about it until just now and I recently build a bike! Q factor never crossed my mind when I was selecting the bottom bracket and crank.
Apparently, it affects some people.
Old 05-16-16, 11:09 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I have micro tears and other damage to my medial meniscus in both knees, from years of running. Both have been 'scoped' for tears previously but I just live with it now as I don't want to lose more cartilage. As a result, pedals that are too far apart cause me pain. Tested repeatedly, with many bikes, lol. Wider mountain cranksets cause problems, narrower road cranks do not. There's roughly an inch difference between the two, in width. That's a lot with a repetitive motion like cycling.

Most people don't have issues. Heck, 20 years ago when I was 41 I rode my Stumpjumper from San Francisco to LA in the AIDS ride without issues.. 80 miles a day.. but that was then and this is now, haha. Sorry for the long reply.
Old 05-16-16, 12:22 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 288 Posts
...Is anyone else bothered by the meaning of surly? ...
Yes.

The name and the accompanying 'prickly' graphic are terrible.

I do like my Krampus though. A lot.
Old 05-17-16, 10:25 AM
HiBoost

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
3- You could switch the setup to be STI shifting, sure. I dont think it would be as comfortable since STIs basically require you to ride the hoods most of the time, but you could swap em out.
I don't think that is true. This is the reason they put the 3rd party bar end shifters on there in the first place - to address the lack of OEM compatibility from Shimano. In other words, starting with 10-speed, Shimano road and mtb shifters and derailleurs are no longer interchangeable. So you can't have a 10-speed 11-34 mtb cassette and derailleur with a 10-speed road STI shifter. And if you went with an all-road 10-speed setup you'd lose the gear range you need for a touring bike.
Old 05-17-16, 11:28 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
The bars resemble the On-One Midge bars which are very difficult to come by. The specs list them as Novara Aluminum. I wish REI would sell them as a separate item.

Nice looking bike for all around use but I question if the chain stays are long enough to provide adequate heel clearance with most rear panniers.
Old 05-17-16, 11:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by HiBoost
I don't think that is true. This is the reason they put the 3rd party bar end shifters on there in the first place - to address the lack of OEM compatibility from Shimano. In other words, starting with 10-speed, Shimano road and mtb shifters and derailleurs are no longer interchangeable. So you can't have a 10-speed 11-34 mtb cassette and derailleur with a 10-speed road STI shifter. And if you went with an all-road 10-speed setup you'd lose the gear range you need for a touring bike.
Good point, I forgot about the whole 10 speed compatibility issue.

So a 9 speed long cage rear derailleur and a Tiagra triple front derailleur mated with Tiagra shifters. That would allow the 10speed cassette, chain, and crank to remain. The 9 speed RD doesnt care if its mated to 10 speed STIs and the road FD would have the correct pull for the front.

Or get some Tiagra STIs and add a JTeK Shiftmate 7 connected to the FD and a JTek Shiftmate 6 to the RD. This would allow the stock Deore components to remain.
Old 05-17-16, 11:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by badger_biker
The bars resemble the On-One Midge bars which are very difficult to come by. The specs list them as Novara Aluminum. I wish REI would sell them as a separate item.
Agreed on selling the bars as a separate item.

They look like my Origin8 Gary Sweep bars. Standing over them, they have similar drop and flare.
Old 05-17-16, 02:00 PM
jonpear6

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Fargo, 1979 Viner Special Professional, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here are a couple of photos of my wife on her new size Small Novara Mazama a couple of months back. We are headed on a week-long tour around the Puget Sound/San Juan Islands in a few weeks here. Doing a 3-day tour of the passes surrounding Leavenworth, WA over Memorial Day Weekend.

We have swapped to an SPD pedla setup, Compass Barlow Pass 38c tires, and added a Swift Industries Paloma Handlebar bag. When we bought it I added some SKS Longboard P50 Fenders, a Brooks C17s saddle, Gum TRP hoods, and an Axiom rear rack.

An SP Dynamo hub will soon be laced into the front wheel. The stock wheelset is pretty dang good for the price. Bar-end shifters work well.

She loves this bike. Her speed increased substantially when we swapped on the Compass Barlow Pass tires. Maybe we're just biased towards Seattle companies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
emazama2.jpg (92.3 KB, 937 views)
File Type: jpg
elisemazama.jpg (99.5 KB, 947 views)

Last edited by jonpear6; 05-17-16 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 02:39 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I need to get into REI one of these days and spend my 4 dollar dividend. Hopefully they'll have one of those in stock.

Surly doesn't make the Fargo, the deliciously-named Salsa does (both companies have the same owner though).
Old 05-18-16, 07:59 PM
Vexxer

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 LE, Specialized Tricross Elite Disc (2013), Motobecane 529HT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are gonna buy one, wait until the 20th. All Novarra bikes go 15% off for ten days as part of their anniversary sale.
Old 05-19-16, 03:08 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool bikes. I like the bars. I have some drop bars that flare out on my Univega Gran Turismo, but definitely not that much. They're pretty comfortable though.
Old 06-13-16, 08:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Thought this is interesting since the debate of 'no name' 4130 is never ending.

Per REI, the tubing used is Reynolds and is .9 .6 .9 butted.

The Mazama frame has butted Reynolds tubing. The thickness at either end of each tube is 0.9mm and the thickness in the center is 0.6mm. The bottom of the seat tube (near the bottom bracket) is a bit thicker at 1.2mm.
Old 06-13-16, 10:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I kinda dig the bike. They made a good choice on the brakes and levers and the DT isn't too shabby. All in all if I were in the employ of REI and didn't have my Co-Motion this wouldn't be a bad little jobber, though 10 speed should be a 2X5 drivetrain not the number of cogs a the rear ; )
Maybe it is just the pain meds talking or maybe I truly do like much of this bike.
Old 06-19-16, 11:57 PM
socoloco

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970, 2016 REI/Novara Mazama

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mazama is da mama

Got my Mazama about 3 weeks ago. So far, so good. Handlebars are interesting. Still haven't decided how well I like riding them on the hoods, but in the drops they're not bad... I don't normally ride down in the drops, but this bike is set up such that drops riding isn't so aggressive as to be uncomfortable. Will be replacing front wheel / hub with a dynamo hub / wheel shortly. Other than that, no need for changes as far as I can see.
Old 06-20-16, 12:30 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Seriously sad lack of pics in this thread.
Old 06-20-16, 12:36 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Is anyone else bothered by the meaning of surly?
No. It speaks to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.