Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Pants that dry quickly

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Pants that dry quickly

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 08:07 PM
CompleteStreets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pants that dry quickly

For heavy and/or cold rain I wear rain pants over my jeans. However, when the rain is not super heavy or the temps are above 50 F, I always have a dilemma of whether to wear rain pants and get sweaty, or just get wet and be soggy when I get to my destination (not to mention everyone can see the difference in color between the top of my pant thigh, which is wet, and the dry backside of the pants).

Can anyone recommend mens pants that look like jeans or khakis that will dry out quickly?
Old 09-30-16, 08:12 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I think you'll be looking at nylon.

https://www.rei.com/product/861659/r...mens-30-inseam

https://www.rei.com/product/877605/r...mens-30-inseam
Old 10-01-16, 08:54 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I understand you're asking for pants that dry quickly, but I carry a fresh, dry pants and underwear with me to work and change when I arrive (along with a fresh shirt). If you have no place to hang your wet clothes, just keep them in the plastic bag and change back into them at the end of the day. It's a little uncomfortable at first, but I've done it a few times. I also do this when biking out to restaurants and get-togethers. I change in the restroom. I carry a plastic trash bag (or two) so I can put my biking clothes in there. I keep shoes at the office, but when I ride elsewhere I just wear my bike shoes, although sometimes I'll bring a nicer pair.

Once again, I realize this is not what you asked about...but I wanted to share.
Old 10-01-16, 05:24 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Any sort of hiking/backpacking pant will dry very quickly. I've got a pair of REI brand cycling specific ones that are very good. I'm also a big fan of Marmot hiking pants.

Non-convertible pants will look more professional and are suitable for many office casual workplaces.
Marmot Arch Rock Pant - Men's | Backcountry.com
Old 10-02-16, 10:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Synthetic or wool. Nothing with cotton.

Bring a change of clothes, too, or leave it at work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-03-16, 04:47 AM
Dheorl

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Various companies have done shower proof jeans over the years. Not something I've personally tried, but might be worth considering.
Old 10-03-16, 08:39 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I call them shorts. Or try some light weight tights, but they will not be looking like jeans or such.
Old 10-03-16, 11:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Just Get Wet?

I don't try to keep rain off of my legs for a commute. Most riding gear dries in 8-9 hours anyway, even if totally soaked.

So, it really depends on temperature. For ~50 degrees, you're at "the line" I might draw between shorts(bare legs) and maybe shorts with leg warmers. Or maybe full length tights. At 55 degrees and rain, it's definitely shorts only. At 50 degrees...I dunno. It might depend on winds, too. If the afternoon ride is much warmer, then it's shorts and leg warmers, so they can be carried home in a bag.

If both ends are cool and in the rain, I'd probably go tights. Does this help?
Old 10-03-16, 05:19 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Suggest trying baseball/softball pants ? I wear them often cycling; easy to clean, wear well, dry fairly quickly, reasonably priced. Rode home in the rain this eve, pants got pretty grimy (even with fenders) due to dirt roads and passing spray & slop from cars, etc. they are in the wash now, soon ready again for the morning.
Old 10-03-16, 06:02 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
As others have recommended: Just keep a dry set of clothes at work (or tote them with you). Whether it will rain or not is more predictable than the localized intensity of the rain as you pass through it. I can ride a half hour in light rain and not get very wet, but 30 seconds in an unexpected downpour has me drenched. I know what you mean about rain pants. 50 deg F is probably still too warm to prevent condensation.

Good luck, and remember Doppler radar is your friend.
Old 10-04-16, 09:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
... remember Doppler radar is your friend.

^this is hugely true. Often, I can time my rides (only 30 minutes door-to-door, when sprinting) to fit in a "window" between rain bands. This, combined with full fenders, can help to stay drier. Even hitting the lighter portions of the rain band without going through the yellow/red downpour parts.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 10-04-16 at 09:52 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-04-16, 07:53 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Tilley.
Old 10-05-16, 03:23 AM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I've got commuting down. My bigger issue is for non-commute trips (attending meetings away from work, visiting friends, going to the movies, going to bars, dates, visiting doctors offices, etc.). There are multiple occasions every week for which changing out of wet clothes at public venues is not a practical option.

I'd like to stick to clothes that resemble my current wardrobe, which for pants is mainly jeans. I guess I'll check out REI and see if any of their quick drying pants resemble casual khakis. Maybe I'll also give wool pants a try, but I'm looking for a more casual look. I've heard the Levi's commuter jeans are only so-so at repelling water, and they're too tight for my liking.

EDIT: I'm now realizing that I posted this in the Commuting section, so all your responses make sense. Even so, I often bike to various destinations straight from work instead of going home first, so the standard commute solutions aren't quite going to cut it for me.

Last edited by CompleteStreets; 10-05-16 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-05-16, 09:36 PM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Railriders makes some great pants. I have a pair of their Backcountry Khakis that I wore to work throughout this year's hot and unusually humid Oklahoma summer (including during bike commutes). They look like a casual pair of khakis and dry incredibly quickly. They're also really durable.

Read comments for Railriders pants, though. Often their waists run quite large, and some of their other pants may be a little too outdoorsy for some workplaces.
Old 10-06-16, 01:45 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to get a bike poncho, as in a poncho that stretches out over the handlebars? It's much less sweaty than rain pants and much easier to get out of.
Old 10-06-16, 02:29 AM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lively or Not
Railriders makes some great pants. I have a pair of their Backcountry Khakis that I wore to work throughout this year's hot and unusually humid Oklahoma summer (including during bike commutes). They look like a casual pair of khakis and dry incredibly quickly. They're also really durable.

Read comments for Railriders pants, though. Often their waists run quite large, and some of their other pants may be a little too outdoorsy for some workplaces.
Thanks, this is just what I'm looking for.
Old 10-06-16, 02:34 AM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Wouldn't it be easier to get a bike poncho, as in a poncho that stretches out over the handlebars? It's much less sweaty than rain pants and much easier to get out of.
I tried a bike poncho. They're practical in a lot of ways, but the two things I don't like about them are that they make it difficult to stick my arm out to signal my turns, and they catch the wind. Biking into a strong headwind with a poncho is no fun.
Old 10-06-16, 03:17 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5997 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by CompleteStreets
I tried a bike poncho. They're practical in a lot of ways, but the two things I don't like about them are that they make it difficult to stick my arm out to signal my turns, and they catch the wind. Biking into a strong headwind with a poncho is no fun.
Sometimes the fun of cycling is in the arrival.
Old 10-06-16, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can anyone recommend mens pants that look like jeans or khakis that will dry out quickly?
Yup, Hiking gear shops.. I like North Face Tek wear.

'/,
Old 10-06-16, 10:46 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Any sort of hiking/backpacking pant will dry very quickly. I've got a pair of REI brand cycling specific ones that are very good. I'm also a big fan of Marmot hiking pants.

Non-convertible pants will look more professional and are suitable for many office casual workplaces.
Marmot Arch Rock Pant - Men's | Backcountry.com
I was going to suggest the same thing. Men's soft shell hiking pants. You can find beige-ish khaki looking ones although most are gray or black like the ones in the link above. They are stylish. I have a pair of outdoor research ones and I've worn them before to the office and gotten compliments on them.
Old 10-06-16, 01:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah those nylon pants seem like what you're looking for. I got a pair whose bottoms-of-the-legs zip off, so they are convertible to shorts. Pretty nifty. I can't remember the brand.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-06-16, 03:34 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try these

https://www.showerspass.com/products/hybrid-zip-pant