Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Padded cycling shorts for touring?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Padded cycling shorts for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-16, 11:04 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The no shower in 3 days is why I bring my nylon fold-up bucket for a bath.
Old 10-08-16, 06:42 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharpshin
2,000 miles down the road in PA. This is my "June and July across America" outfit, or my "dress like a Roofer" garb. Single layer of thin nylon and a good hat, no sunblock, didn't even begin to get burned in 30 days of mostly full sun 'tween San Antonio and NY State.

Where you get them....

Sensible sun-blocking clothes. I have a couple of long-sleeve white summer jerseys , fairly aero but air circulation is a bit limited. Looser clothes like yours might be more comfortable. DC area summers are quite sunnier than in the past & more folks from bikers/runners to outdoor workers are covering up more.

Copper bowls are said to be best for whisking eggs for omelets.
Old 10-11-16, 04:48 AM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hilltowner

Ahhh, black pudding. I'm surprised the usual slice of tomato didn't get added to that plate.

A pop quiz, from somewhere in South Lanarkshire.....

Identify the following....

a) Haggis
b) Square
c) Black Pudding

Old 10-11-16, 08:14 PM
DropBarFan

I'm guessing haggis is on top, black pudding on the right & square on the left? I've never been to UK but some of their trad dishes (esp breakfast) sound pretty tasty; a bit ironic that Brit food is barely seen in the US. However there's a pasty shop (Brit proprietors) nearby that does a brisk business, even my friends with conservative tastes (incl their kids) like their pasties.
Old 10-12-16, 08:56 AM
Sharpshin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I'm guessing haggis is on top, black pudding on the right & square on the left? I've never been to UK but some of their trad dishes (esp breakfast) sound pretty tasty; a bit ironic that Brit food is barely seen in the US. However there's a pasty shop (Brit proprietors) nearby that does a brisk business, even my friends with conservative tastes (incl their kids) like their pasties.
Um... as best I can put it, according to the second sentence of that old joke... in Hell the cooks are British

I'm pretty sure you got the names right, IIRC a "square" is a sausage made in that shape, and all three yer prob'ly better off not knowing what went into it.

I do agree, British/Scottish/Irish breakfasts were pretty good. In France all I could find was bread.

Mike

Last edited by Sharpshin; 10-12-16 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-13-16, 07:36 PM
DropBarFan

I like the German hotel breakfast buffets, fairly simple but halfway healthy with muesli, oatmeal, yogurt, nice cold cuts, whole-grain crispbread etc.
Old 10-24-16, 03:05 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
Yes, to padded shorts on tour. Often commute or ride for utility without padded shorts (or long pants in cold weather), however usually tour with shorts. Shorts help wick away perspiration during a longer ride. My saddle is leather, prefer J&G Touring shorts - they have a thin pad, are comfortable, wear well and good to be seen in public wearing.
Just wanted to second the note above. I've been wearing the same black J&G shorts for more than 5 years cycling in heat and rain. They dry quickly and feel more like regular shorts so I don't feel weird in public. Only problem I have is the depth of the pockets. I'd like less.
Old 10-24-16, 03:48 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Quick question, what temps can you people manage with full sleeves? I'd imagine they would get hot in warmer climates such as southern Europe.
Old 10-24-16, 02:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Quick question, what temps can you people manage with full sleeves? I'd imagine they would get hot in warmer climates such as southern Europe.
I ride all year round. In summer if I know I'll be riding a lot on dirt roads I'll forgo using a short sleeve jersey and sunblock because the dust and tiny flies stick to the sunblock and doesn't look too nice if i want to stop at a restaurant or store. those times I'll wear a long sleeve jersey. I've done that in temperatures in the 90s F and high humidity. You can get this long sleeve jerseys that still block the sun.

Cheers
Old 10-25-16, 07:26 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I wear l/s summer-weight jerseys even on our hottest days (this summer often 33°+ C). Sleeves feel a touch warmer than short-sleeves but mostly outweighed by skin being more comfy w/o sun glaring.

In re padded shorts: I'm trying out a Brooks Swift saddle which is quite hard, have been using non-padded shorts but I'm going to try w/padded to see if I becomes more comfy in 1 hr+ rides. Might even spring (heh) for a Thudbuster ST.
Old 10-29-16, 09:06 PM
DropBarFan

Went back to SQ Labs 610 Active saddle today, didn't even bother trying padded shorts w/the Brooks Swift 'cause it would still be hard. SQ 610 felt like an easy chair compared to Swift. So while IMO padded shorts can be comfy for long rides, they rarely make up for a hard saddle.

I'd urge folks who are hunting for a good saddle to check out SQ Labs which has 8 diff trekking models & 19 MTB models w/up to 4 diff widths! 610 Active has fairly unique design that gives nice cushion where it's needed but minimizes soft-tissue pressure. After 70 km incl bumpy downtown streets it was almost as comfortable as at the start; I didn't even notice the sore spot I got from Brooks Swift.
Old 11-01-16, 05:39 PM
Will Wheeler

Bikes: Gavia Verona. Scott Sportster. Diamant Photon.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will guess someone have mentioned this already. If so, here we go again:
Never go on a tour with new padded shorts. Break them in on shorter rides and a wash each ride (of course) before you go.
That said. When I go "slow touring" on a fully loaded bike, I never wear padded shorts, but i prefer to do when I go lightweight bikepacking and doing more miles faster.
Old 11-02-16, 01:52 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I die and end up in Hades part of my circle of hell will be being forced to ride in woven shorts instead of proper knit chamois cycling shorts.
Old 11-02-16, 07:04 PM
DropBarFan

Padded cycling shorts have the advantage of resisting bunching up into creases that can cause extra chafing.
Old 11-02-16, 09:10 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, after a lot of research and consideration, I decided to give these two pairs of "diapers" a chance. I haven't gotten the chance for a proper ride with them yet, but I will report back once I have. So far I'd say these are the least obtrusive I've tried so far.

These are the two I bought,

Pearl Izumi Men's Liner Shorts
* For me these run about one size too large, so you may want to consider ordering one size smaller than you normally would.

SANTIC Cycling Men's Shorts
* For me these run about one size too small, so you may want to consider ordering one size larger than you normally would.

If you have any questions that I may be able to answer for you based on my initial fitting and short test ride, please let me now. I'll report back once I've had a proper ride while wearing each of them.

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 11-03-16 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 05:00 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I've enjoyed reading all the recommendations. I was actually considering a new pair of bibs before I read the posts. The Brooks B17 that came on the bike is my first experience with the legendary saddle. Once I tilted the nose up a fraction, even a new seat became very comfortable using old pants.

The use of nylon pants was also helpful. I have pair of Mountain Hardware with bungee cuffs that I use like knickers with knee socks. If probably looks strange, but I like the function. The nylon also feels good on the saddle leather.
Old 11-05-16, 01:44 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Put me down on the no cycling shorts list. I do have a couple pairs, but don't really see the big deal. They do mitigate sweat a little better on a very hot and humid day, and hide grease and crud when you wipe your hands on em after some wrenching, but for the most part I prefer to wear a pair of cargo shorts I've had since college some 15 years ago. They are starting to fall apart though, I need to find an equivalent, but so far I've found nothing like them out there now, so debating trying to make my own.

Unfortunately my schedule and family situation doesn't let me do long tours yet. Maybe when my son is on his own. I also can't get in the kind if mileage many do, partly because cycling is second to running to me as a sport, but I was able to get in some all day rides, 100 miler, and short tour doing around 80 miles or so per day - fully loaded though with full camping gear including stove, mess kit, and packing food, along with big dSLR and lens and tripod. Did almost all of that in the same pair of cargo shorts. I just wear moisture wicking athletic unders under them and never had a problem. But I built up resistance to chaffing from several years of running first, maybe that helps.

Since shoe conversation also came up I'll mention I did all the above barefoot, for those who disabled signatures or view on tapatalk or whatever where they can't see my sig I do just about everything barefoot. All that specialized cycling stuff might help you slightly in a race, or may help some folks with certain problems, but it's certainly not required or even helpful for everyone. I've had plantar fasciitis, shin splints and some other leg/foot issues and switching to barefoot and relearning how to run more naturally and do things barefoot has really strengthened my feet and made them much happier, and really helped me to realize a lot of the products out there not only unnecessary, but in some ways damaging.

@Sharpshin as always I like how you don't jump on the usual bandwagons Even though I sometimes take quite the opposite approach... many times (or almost all the times all summer long) I'll be out running on the trails with nothing but shorts and glasses on. Just enough to keep me legal, and be able to see properly. When on the bike I wear a shirt though, usually.
If you're ever passing through central Ohio give me a shout.

But if padded cycling shorts is what it takes to get you comfortable, then go for it. I say whatever makes it work, regardless of bandwagons, fashion, whatever.

Last edited by T Stew; 11-06-16 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 01:54 PM
TDJ1776

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once a Brooks saddle is broken in, it doesn't get along well with padded shorts.

I haven't worn them in five years...don't miss them, or their cost.
Old 11-05-16, 04:35 PM
Chuck Naill

If I didn't wear cycling shorts I would have to wear something else since I don't like to do anything in cotton or even a cotton blend. I've been looking at tights to wear as a base layer for this Winter. Would be good to find something that blocks wind.
Old 11-06-16, 07:41 PM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I ride all year round. In summer if I know I'll be riding a lot on dirt roads I'll forgo using a short sleeve jersey and sunblock because the dust and tiny flies stick to the sunblock and doesn't look too nice if i want to stop at a restaurant or store. those times I'll wear a long sleeve jersey. I've done that in temperatures in the 90s F and high humidity. You can get this long sleeve jerseys that still block the sun.

Cheers
I cycle in Taiwan which means high humidity and heat. And terrible drivers. My usual clothing includes long sleeve quick dry shirts in bright colors and J&G shorts. Both dry quickly. (The shirts are cheap online and don't buy name brands.) I use clothes to protect myself from the sun first, then lotion. I don't think I look any more strange than a lycra clad man matching colors with his bike. Neon pink shoes anyone? Unbelievable. Why do some cyclists dress like peacocks when it comes to cycling?
Old 11-07-16, 04:40 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Peacocks..lol
Old 11-07-16, 09:54 AM
TDJ1776

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chuck,

UnderArmour has a synthetic undershort that breathes, comes in a mesh material if you want...they work pretty well if you don't like cotton. Caution: buy a size up, because they run snug, and beware, they're swass factories.
Old 11-09-16, 10:32 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TDJ1776
Chuck,

UnderArmour has a synthetic undershort that breathes, comes in a mesh material if you want...they work pretty well if you don't like cotton. Caution: buy a size up, because they run snug, and beware, they're swass factories.
Just a note since these were just brought up, I found them very loose but maybe they have different styles that fit differently. Usually I buy my athletic unders from amazon, they were reasonably priced (especially compared to bike shorts) and work very well. I think I last got a 2-pack of Addidas Climalite for like $18. However I was recently inside a new UnderArmor store here - I never shop name brands but someone told me they actually had their athletic unders for like $6 each, wow! They had a couple different ones, pretty much the same thing only slight variation. One was called UA Mesh Boxerjock and the other I don't remember, maybe Classic Boxerjock. In the same Medium size that I buy Addidas which fit very snug, the UA was very loose. So loose I almost wish i'd tried the S but I'm sure that sale is gone now.
Old 11-09-16, 08:24 PM
Chuck Naill

Originally Posted by TDJ1776
Chuck,

Thank you.