Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride to please yourself

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ride to please yourself

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 04:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Ride to please yourself
Originally Posted by rydabent
IMO everyone that bikes should ride the way it pleases themselves. In so many of the threads, the "real" cyclist try to dictate how, what, where, what to wear, what saddle, and what bike is acceptable to ride.

To begin with not everyone has $10,000 to spend on a bike, so price is the prime point of what one can ride. Then there road bikes, mountain bikes, fat bikes, fixies, bents, and trikes, and gravel bikes. Pick the type or types of biking you like and buy the bike that works best for that style of biking.

Then-------------- ride at the speed and cadence that feel right to you. If you want to train for and race that is fine too. Just remember if that is not your bag, as I say, ride to please yourself. Cycling should be fun first.
The fact is on the really high priced bikes, there is an old saying that applies. "There is a sucker born every minute."

IMO so many of the really high priced bikes are bought by people with lots of money just for the snob appeal.
Originally Posted by DoctorMorbius
I only ride my bikes to please others.
My “bag” as you say is to ride to show off my (near $10,000) bike to my fellow real cyclists.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The funniest part is that in another thread a week ago we were discussing an old article from The Guardian or somewhere about how cycling had been taken over by middle-aged buys in spandex with fat bellies and fat wallets, hyper-competing everywhere because they were unwilling to accept mid-life crises?

General consensus was: it hadn't.

And we held up as an example: Mr. Rydabent.

(yeah, we all get it.. but if you didn't think this as going to start and argument ... you wouldn't have posted. You're a veteran here. (You could post"I like cycling" and get a fight on these boards.) heck yeah ... I'd throw the first punch just see the hilarity unfold for 17 pages.
Originally Posted by dksix
Sure these are price ranges that may be out of reach for some but there is going to be a vast majority of us who will eventually get to those prices ranges. And I feel many, also like me, spend money of those lower levels only to find I should have spent more once than working my way there in steps leaving a surplus of cheap items in my wake.
Nicely said.
I guess I don’t get the point of this thread…is it don’t ask for advice, or don’t believe everything you read?
Originally Posted by MRT2
I disagree with the premise of this thread. Who advises anyone to spend $10,000 to get started? Almost nobody. And as for what to buy, what to wear, or how to train or ride, people give advise in response to questions from other people. It is sort of the point of forums like these.

If the answer to every question is, ride what you like, spend whatever you feel you can afford, and wear whatever you feel like, it would make for very short discussion threads.
Originally Posted by one4smoke
+1

Agree wholeheartedly with this. As someone that got back into cycling just a relatively short time ago, it's rather aggravating to start a thread asking for advice, only to get.. "do what feels good to you" or "buy what you like." If I knew what felt good to me, or what I like, I wouldn't be asking for advice. It's nice to lean on other's vast experience and knowledge when trying to shorten the learning curve.

To
get a generic response like some give, doesn't help at all. I realize a lot of things in cycling are personal preference, but until you get that experience to develop a preference,you rely on help.
Nicely said.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-25-17 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 04:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you want to train for and race that is fine too.
Cool. As long as you say so. And if you want to ride a recumbent I will approve of that. I love the lecture threads.
Old 04-25-17, 04:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Ride to please yourself ----- why else would a person ride?

I enjoy cycling long distances on road bicycles dressed in cycling attire.
Old 04-25-17, 05:40 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Nobody sees this as a major concession/olive branch coming from the guy who, just a month or so ago, was advocating that everyone should ride recumbents?
Old 04-25-17, 06:39 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
What if what pleases themselves is to be considered serious cyclists™?
That is just fine too. They are pleasing themselves too.
Old 04-25-17, 06:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I enjoy cycling long distances on road bicycles dressed in cycling attire.
I just can't convince my bike to put on spandex.
Old 04-25-17, 06:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

I noticed the shots directed towards me for riding a bent. But then I really dont care. Again I am riding to please myself as I suggest (not demand) others should do.

BTW in a way I am a "serious cyclist" since while I am 78 and if the weather is ok, I ride about 35 miles every other day, plus ride my bike club events.
Old 04-25-17, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Riding a bent is, by definition, not serious riding. Just sayin'.
Old 04-25-17, 07:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I think it's good common sense advice to ride what you want, however you want to ride it. But I wonder if the
majority of bicycle riders in America are just riding whatever they have, and however that bike lets them.
Old 04-25-17, 07:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Dude ... first off, if you don't have a sense of humor by now, I guess you never will ... but I think by now you would have at least seen a few times when it might help.

If You are insecure about riding a recumbent ... well, get counseling or get a diamond-frame. If it was me, i'd just smile and read on, but I am not trying to live your life.

Second ... protesting that you are indeed a "serious" cyclist undermines everything you said in your opening post.

Besides that, the really "Serious" cyclists won't think you ride enough (ever) and the not-so-serious cyclists will think you are excluding them.

Let me offer a word of advice: just ride to please yourself.
Old 04-25-17, 07:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I noticed the shots directed towards me for riding a bent. But then I really dont care. Again I am riding to please myself as I suggest (not demand) others should do.

BTW in a way I am a "serious cyclist" since while I am 78 and if the weather is ok, I ride about 35 miles every other day, plus ride my bike club events.
The fact is on the really high priced bikes, there is an old saying that applies. "There is a sucker born every minute."

IMO so many of the really high priced bikes are bought by people with lots of money just for the snob appeal.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My “bag” as you say is to ride to show off my (near $10,000) bike to my fellow "real" [serious] cyclists.
Hi @rydabent,

I have no criticism of ‘bents, and took such a cyclist on a few rides around Boston.
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones…This past weekend I rode with a companion on a low-riding recumbent three-wheel trike.

I j
ust deflected my right-hand mirror slightly downwards so I didn’t have to crane my neck upwards to see him.The left-hand mirror was still in place to monitor rearward traffic.
I do bristle at suggestions that cyclists buy expensive bikes "just for 'snob' appeal." I have posted my serious cyclist credentials as:
"Do you really enjoy riding a bike?"... I describe my riding experience similarly, as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident.…
See the above link to the serious cyclist thread.
...Besides that, the really "Serious" cyclists won't think you ride enough (ever) and the not-so-serious cyclists will think you are excluding them...
Nicely said.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-25-17 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 08:55 AM
cellery

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 12 Posts
Guys it's obvious you're all missing the point of cycling. When I open my news feed every day, there is a new top ten best bikes of the week story. Clearly there are new game changing revelations in bicycle technology every month coming out that are "must-have". As in you must submit so your legs don't quit. Clearly it is our duty as members of the pedal power crew to keep buying high dollar bikes in order to keep these top ten lists going and keep these important bicycling publications in business.
Old 04-25-17, 09:05 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I hear the wind blowing.
Old 04-25-17, 10:35 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Tell that to the 4 guys that rode Rans bents in the 2010 RAAM race and won.

They rode in the 4 man team category, an increased their lead riding up the west side of the Rockies.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-25-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 10:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Tell that to the 4 guys that rode Rans bents in the 2010 RAAM race and won.
The self-described non-racer boy turns to racers to try to make a point. Oh the irony. Nice try, but you know what I meant. And if you were faster you would gain more time to post on BF. Wait. Maybe that would be a bad thing.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-25-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-25-17, 10:49 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
There are two things to think about when a beginner is choosing a bike.

1: Fit
2: Style

#1 can be commented on by us successfully. If you're 6' tall you won't be riding a 48 cm road bike. But #2 is mostly personal preference, which we all have opinions for. However, even some of that can be commented on by us. If you're going to be riding primarily on roads, why by a mountain bike?

So yes, a person SHOULD ride what they want, but they may get a lot more enjoyment out of the sport if they have a bike that is the right size for them and the right style for them.
And to the OP: No one on this site (other than perhaps the road racing forum) would suggest buying a $10,000 bike. For road bikes, we say the entry level is ~600-1000 dollars, and we're not wrong. Anything below that and you're getting a heavy(er) bike with components that are likely to wear out quickly. So by buying a more expensive bike, you'd be saving money in the long run and enjoying yourself more along the way.

For a mountain bike that's actually going to be ridden on trails? I'd say for a hardtail the minimum purchase for a decent bike is $1000. I bought an $800 bike and it's... ok, would have been much more happy if I bought the $1000 version. For a full suspension, you're getting up into the $1500-$2000 range for a decent one. (I know less about full suspension bikes.)

Now if you're a casual rider, you can easily buy a $300-$400 bike and be perfectly happy. Anything less and you're getting a wal-mart bike.
This is a common misconception.
Old 04-25-17, 11:22 AM
Maelochs

So ... are there any $10,000 recumbent bikes?
Old 04-25-17, 12:00 PM
Jean3n16
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not going to buy the top rated bike, im going to buy a bike i like and go from there. Which so far has worked! You keep your fancy 1000000000 bike and ill keep my craigslist find!
Old 04-25-17, 12:23 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
So ... are there any $10,000 recumbent bikes?
Not sure about 10k, but very close.

I bought a hand-made Polish bent for $6,000 in 2006. Full DuraAce carbon. Weighed in ~18#. @BlazingPedals could tell you the price of high-end bents better than me.

I know that there are over $10,000 carbon trikes.

https://www.carbontrikes.com/eng/index.html

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 04-25-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 01:02 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Anyway, what Rydabent rides really isn't pertinent to the thread.

Old 04-25-17, 01:14 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,628 Times in 3,476 Posts
Hey guys, why are you guys on the attack here? Why so many hurt butts?

I didn't read through everything here but the OP didn't attack any specific style of cycling. He didn't even promote his own style of cycling, he just said ride what you like. I don't see any reason in THIS thread for all the angst. But if you're bringing stuff from some other thread into this one, or looking at someone's past history, then yeah, that's a problem.

And there are a couple of notoriously testy guys here who are asking for it. Let's all simmer down please and stay on topic?
Old 04-25-17, 01:49 PM
Maelochs

I think the humor came when Rydabent couldn't see the humor of some responses ... or when some respondents couldn't see the humor of their responses.

I personally like Mr. Rydabent, which is why I encourage him to try riding a bicycle, an activity which I enjoy a good deal.

Once he took the bait and responded seriously to the first troll, he was lost ... sucked into the BF sewer/whirlpool, trying to debate and define "serious" cyclist .... in a realm where a tricycle is considered a bicycle and fat men in leotards can be considered "more serious" than fit men in jeans.

I am not shocked but even more amused that anyone should take this thread seriously, or any more seriously than any other BF thread.

Mr. Rydabent ("May I call you Ryda?") offers some interesting idea but nothing sacred ... so why not have some fun? (asked this fat man in a leotard.)

It occurs to me that no one blinked an I when I told a son to lie to his father ... but popped a gasket when I suggested a two-wheeled conveyance didn't have two wheels and/or wasn't a conveyance.

What we need is an "I'm totally serial" emoticon for the one in one thousand post wee really want people to take seriously.

Last edited by Maelochs; 04-25-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 02:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Not sure about 10k, but very close.

I bought a hand-made Polish bent for $6,000 in 2006. Full DuraAce carbon. Weighed in ~18#. @BlazingPedals could tell you the price of high-end bents better than me.

I know that there are over $10,000 carbon trikes.

CARBONTRIKES - Home
I've had respect for 'bents a lot longer than the " 'bent " abbreviation has been around. 1976, Prof David Wilson came to our club dinner on his. Encouraged us to take spins on it. I did. Knew right then that this bike, with racing wheels and a few upgrades of equipment would be one seriously fast bike. Two years later, I used to catch up to the professor on his commute home. He was one of the few outside racing circles that rode fast enough that I barely had to slow to match his speed to chat.

If I lose the ability to ride road bikes, I will seriously consider a recumbent; a short wheelbase hands under the knees one if I can find it. (Rode a Vision on a trainer of that configuration ~'95 at a trade show in Seattle. Fun!)

Ben
Old 04-25-17, 02:54 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
Most bicyclist I meet are very warm & friendly people. I can't imagine why they would care about what other people are riding or wearing. People get exited about bicycles the same way they get exited about cars, motorcycles, tractors, and boats. Opinions are like ********. Everybody has one and they all stink. Now, get out there and ride.
In reality this is close to the truth. People or cyclists in real life tend to be easier to get along with than their internet avatar personality. In real life we all ride the way that makes us happy. and if we aren't happy riding we quit or change how we ride.

I don't care what someone wears or rides and I would imagine that the most fervent roadie has no problem sitting at the same table having coffee with a Cruiser, MTB rider or even a bent rider. In fact most of the people I know have more than one bike and they might fit in all three categories.
Old 04-25-17, 03:19 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
On the upside, on a 'bent you have one hand free to pleasure yourself all you want.

Last edited by nycphotography; 04-25-17 at 03:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.