Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this tire safe?

Notices
Road Cycling ďIt is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.Ē -- Ernest Hemingway

Is this tire safe?

Old 10-06-20, 04:30 PM
  #1  
InvertedMP 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
InvertedMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 102 Posts
Is this tire safe?

After my ride, I was doing my usual post ride inspection of the bike and noticed this cut in the tire. I know this is super subjective and it's

super hard to tell from a pic but I wanted to see what you all thought about it. The cut is into the sidewall a bit. It's a Conti GP5000TL, no sealant came out so it didn't puncture the tire. What do you guys think?
__________________
www.mp-aviation.com
InvertedMP is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 04:46 PM
  #2  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,309

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked 1,868 Times in 1,326 Posts
If the tire itself is not bulging at the cut when the tire is at your riding pressure then I wouldn't be concerned. Do you even have air in that?
Iride01 is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 04:51 PM
  #3  
InvertedMP 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
InvertedMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
If the tire itself is not bulging at the cut when the tire is at your riding pressure then I wouldn't be concerned. Do you even have air in that?
Yea it was at 90 psi when I started my ride today so I bet right there its 85psi? So yes it is inflated.
__________________
www.mp-aviation.com
InvertedMP is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 05:00 PM
  #4  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,077

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 297 Posts
Look at that area from the Inside of the tire.
Might need a patch of some kind for safety.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 05:13 PM
  #5  
oris
I like speed
 
oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 112

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
I'd take a look on the inside of the tire but otherwise would superglue it and run it.
oris is offline  
Likes For oris:
Old 10-06-20, 06:30 PM
  #6  
Random11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 158 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by oris View Post
I'd take a look on the inside of the tire but otherwise would superglue it and run it.
Is this a good fix for a cut in a tire? I ask because I have a much bigger cut in my rear tire. I just noticed it a few days ago. Not sure when I got it, but I've been riding on it with no problems. Should I try superglue in the gash as a repair?
Random11 is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 07:01 PM
  #7  
oris
I like speed
 
oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 112

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11 View Post
Is this a good fix for a cut in a tire? I ask because I have a much bigger cut in my rear tire. I just noticed it a few days ago. Not sure when I got it, but I've been riding on it with no problems. Should I try superglue in the gash as a repair?
The super glue thing is something I learned from here for closing up superficial tire cuts. However if you're able to see threads or the carcass reinforcement from the cut, I'd replace it.
oris is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 07:06 PM
  #8  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,261

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2919 Post(s)
Liked 2,273 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by oris View Post
However if you're able to see threads or the carcass reinforcement from the cut, I'd replace it.
Like this?
GlennR is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 08:25 PM
  #9  
InvertedMP 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
InvertedMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 334

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Like this?
Thatís the tube sticking out I assume?
__________________
www.mp-aviation.com
InvertedMP is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 08:32 PM
  #10  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 1,040

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP View Post
After my ride, I was doing my usual post ride inspection of the bike and noticed this cut in the tire. I know this is super subjective and it's

super hard to tell from a pic but I wanted to see what you all thought about it. The cut is into the sidewall a bit. It's a Conti GP5000TL, no sealant came out so it didn't puncture the tire. What do you guys think?
i am not familiar with what i assume is a tubeless tire but i see what appears to be a shard of something protruding through the tire, there is a shadow of something just below the conti tread thing and then i see what i think is the other end near where you began and ended your red circle.

-scott
spelger is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 08:50 PM
  #11  
oris
I like speed
 
oris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 112

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
That doesn't look right. I'd replace it as you shouldn't see anything protruding.

Generally it's still OK if it's inflated, a clean cut on the tread/rubber with nothing protruding or visible cords/threads.
oris is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 09:00 PM
  #12  
Bmach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 97 Posts
My safety is worth more than the cost of a new tire. I would toss and replace!
Bmach is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 10:24 PM
  #13  
TonyMTL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To all those talking about safety... I have questions for you, I have a hard time picturing something bad happening. I mean I have had my fair share of flats and punctures and cuts etc, and every time it happened the only thing Iíve had happen was a popping sensation and a quick decrease in speed, and then handling issues by which I was going so slowly that I could just apply brakes and put my feet on the ground. Did anyone here ever get seriously injured from a sudden flat? Iím very curious because I personally donít know anyone who did, please share your experience. For the record; Iím sure it can happen, say in a high speed situation down a hill doing sharp turns next to a cliff or oncoming traffic, but I personally never put myself in such a situation to begin with, and any time I lose more that 15psi pressure in my tyres, I notice it right away and slow down immediately to check it out.

More ę on topic Ľ now; Iíve had a cut in my sidewall for about 1800km now and I can see the Inner reinforcement ę threading Ľ through it (I assume itís reinforcement threading, it looks like white thread.)However being in the sidewall there are very little chances of it causing a catastrophic failure, before it does the cut will stretch, then once it stretches the threading will have to stretch and give out and then when you can actually see broken thread thatís when thereís a risk of having the tube bulge out a bit and pop. The cut has not gotten any bigger since I made it, either. Looks exactly the same.

Last edited by TonyMTL; 10-06-20 at 10:36 PM.
TonyMTL is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 01:25 PM
  #14  
spelger
Senior Member
 
spelger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: reno, nv
Posts: 1,040

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyMTL View Post
To all those talking about safety... I have questions for you, I have a hard time picturing something bad happening. I mean I have had my fair share of flats and punctures and cuts etc, and every time it happened the only thing Iíve had happen was a popping sensation and a quick decrease in speed, and then handling issues by which I was going so slowly that I could just apply brakes and put my feet on the ground. Did anyone here ever get seriously injured from a sudden flat? Iím very curious because I personally donít know anyone who did, please share your experience. For the record; Iím sure it can happen, say in a high speed situation down a hill doing sharp turns next to a cliff or oncoming traffic, but I personally never put myself in such a situation to begin with, and any time I lose more that 15psi pressure in my tyres, I notice it right away and slow down immediately to check it out.

More ę on topic Ľ now; Iíve had a cut in my sidewall for about 1800km now and I can see the Inner reinforcement ę threading Ľ through it (I assume itís reinforcement threading, it looks like white thread.)However being in the sidewall there are very little chances of it causing a catastrophic failure, before it does the cut will stretch, then once it stretches the threading will have to stretch and give out and then when you can actually see broken thread thatís when thereís a risk of having the tube bulge out a bit and pop. The cut has not gotten any bigger since I made it, either. Looks exactly the same.
i frequently descend down a steep hill at high speed (35mph+) with sharp turns and a cliff off to the left then on the right when about 2/3 down. not replacing it would give me something to think about on the way down i'm sure.
spelger is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 03:20 PM
  #15  
TonyMTL
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger View Post
i frequently descend down a steep hill at high speed (35mph+) with sharp turns and a cliff off to the left then on the right when about 2/3 down. not replacing it would give me something to think about on the way down i'm sure.
I would probably feel the same if that was my case, in all honesty. Iím probably too scared to even attempt riding like that (and I donít race so I guess it works out for me!)
TonyMTL is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 08:03 PM
  #16  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,053
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14463 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,812 Posts
For the OP's tire.

If there is imprinted tread on the tire.

And the cut itself is not deeper than the imprinted tread, then I wouldn't give it a second thought.

JUST RIDE AND ENJOY
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-08-20, 12:25 AM
  #17  
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk
 
znomit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,336

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyMTL View Post
More ę on topic Ľ now; Iíve had a cut in my sidewall for about 1800km now and I can see the Inner reinforcement ę threading Ľ through it (I assume itís reinforcement threading, it looks like white thread.)However being in the sidewall there are very little chances of it causing a catastrophic failure, before it does the cut will stretch, then once it stretches the threading will have to stretch and give out and then when you can actually see broken thread thatís when thereís a risk of having the tube bulge out a bit and pop. The cut has not gotten any bigger since I made it, either. Looks exactly the same.
I'd throw that out.
znomit is offline  
Old 10-08-20, 03:25 AM
  #18  
Amt0571
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Catalonia
Posts: 902

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Dahon Mu P27, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 120 Posts
If the cords are not visible when spreading the cut, and there's not damage visible inside, I'd deem it safe to ride. But it's your decision.

A while ago I posted a picture of a cut in my tire asking for a similar question. It was mostly deemed unsafe as the inner tube was visible (but not bulging through the hole). Anyway, I stuck a tire patch on the inside of the tire, and plugged the 2.5mm hole with a bit of the patch kit glue and a piece of rubber.

I finally threw the tire last weekend when I found irrepairable damage on it (at another place), after riding it for 2500km like this.

I took my chances, and it worked out. But keep in mind that a damaged tire can blowout and cause you to fall, so make sure the cords are ok and there's zero tire deformation when inflated.
Amt0571 is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 07:45 PM
  #19  
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars
 
sfrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,700
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I'd ride it. It doesn't look like the casing is damaged, and the rubber is just there for traction. A small superficial cut in the outer rubber doesn't matter, but I'd also inspect it with a good light, magnifier, and tweezers. But chances are good it's from running over a sharp edge rather than something pointy embedding itself in the casing.
__________________
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

sfrider is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 08:37 PM
  #20  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,263

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 1,168 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyMTL View Post
To all those talking about safety... I have questions for you, I have a hard time picturing something bad happening. I mean I have had my fair share of flats and punctures and cuts etc, and every time it happened the only thing Iíve had happen was a popping sensation and a quick decrease in speed, and then handling issues by which I was going so slowly that I could just apply brakes and put my feet on the ground. Did anyone here ever get seriously injured from a sudden flat? Iím very curious because I personally donít know anyone who did, please share your experience. For the record; Iím sure it can happen, say in a high speed situation down a hill doing sharp turns next to a cliff or oncoming traffic, but I personally never put myself in such a situation to begin with, and any time I lose more that 15psi pressure in my tyres, I notice it right away and slow down immediately to check it out.

More ę on topic Ľ now; Iíve had a cut in my sidewall for about 1800km now and I can see the Inner reinforcement ę threading Ľ through it (I assume itís reinforcement threading, it looks like white thread.)However being in the sidewall there are very little chances of it causing a catastrophic failure, before it does the cut will stretch, then once it stretches the threading will have to stretch and give out and then when you can actually see broken thread thatís when thereís a risk of having the tube bulge out a bit and pop. The cut has not gotten any bigger since I made it, either. Looks exactly the same.
I wouldn't ride that tire. When sidewalls do fail, they can be hard to boot (though I have managed - thank you Park Tool). I wouldn't want to be stuck out on the road with a tire I couldn't fix.
And I can't think of any story about somebody being injured or going down owing to a flat.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 09:39 PM
  #21  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,053
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14463 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
I wouldn't ride that tire. When sidewalls do fail, they can be hard to boot (though I have managed - thank you Park Tool). I wouldn't want to be stuck out on the road with a tire I couldn't fix.
And I can't think of any story about somebody being injured or going down owing to a flat.
I suppose it depends on how much of the sidewall remains.

I've blown the sidewall off the bead... well, I guess twice. What a pain.

The first time was on a 20x3 trailer tire. I got a 20x2.x thornproof tube. Pumped it up and the tube gave me enough support for the last 20 miles or so of my ride. No boot.

The second one was a 700x23 tire, with a bike that had barely enough clearance for perhaps a tight fit of 700x25. So, I stuffed all could find into and around the tire to give it some support, and managed to make it another 20 or so miles to the nearest shop just before it closed. But, the bulge was a major issue.



In this case, I really don't know what caused the blowout. The tire was brand new. I think 75 miles into the first ride. Probably some vulnerability in the tire itself. Plus, I mounted the tire in the cool evening the night before, and put the pressure to about 110 or so PSI. Then it was a hot afternoon the next day when it blew. So, perhaps slightly overpressure.

I would be tempted to try a boot on one of the tires above. But, so far I've only had moderate success with long-term use of boots, usually eventually wearing through.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-10-20, 10:17 PM
  #22  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 4,263

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 1,168 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I suppose it depends on how much of the sidewall remains.

I've blown the sidewall off the bead... well, I guess twice. What a pain.

The first time was on a 20x3 trailer tire. I got a 20x2.x thornproof tube. Pumped it up and the tube gave me enough support for the last 20 miles or so of my ride. No boot.

The second one was a 700x23 tire, with a bike that had barely enough clearance for perhaps a tight fit of 700x25. So, I stuffed all could find into and around the tire to give it some support, and managed to make it another 20 or so miles to the nearest shop just before it closed. But, the bulge was a major issue.



In this case, I really don't know what caused the blowout. The tire was brand new. I think 75 miles into the first ride. Probably some vulnerability in the tire itself. Plus, I mounted the tire in the cool evening the night before, and put the pressure to about 110 or so PSI. Then it was a hot afternoon the next day when it blew. So, perhaps slightly overpressure.

I would be tempted to try a boot on one of the tires above. But, so far I've only had moderate success with long-term use of boots, usually eventually wearing through.
Looks like a GP4000? Lots of anecdotes about their sidewall failures This too was a brand new tire. That's a tire boot underneath, holding it together.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 10-10-20, 11:38 PM
  #23  
CliffordK
Senior Member
 
CliffordK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 26,053
Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14463 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,812 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Looks like a GP4000? Lots of anecdotes about their sidewall failures This too was a brand new tire. That's a tire boot underneath, holding it together.
I didn't realize the GP's didn't have the cross-hatch pattern on the sidewalls which I'm convinced is primarily cosmetic.

Right brand, wrong tire. You can see the "S..LL" in the photo.

Conti Gator Hardshell. And, as I mentioned, mounted the day before, first 75 miles.

Stripped the bead off... which means one has to wrap whatever one uses for a boot under one, or both of the beads, and around to the outside of the tire. And, in this case, bulging was still a problem. I managed to adjust the dropouts enough to move tire a bit away from the bad side, then by pulling the skewer back,it keep the hub from pulling imperceptibly forward and rubbing.

The shop I stopped at recommended carrying gorilla tape the next time, but I never seem to have any in my bag.
CliffordK is online now  
Old 10-10-20, 11:39 PM
  #24  
Racing Dan
Senior Member
 
Racing Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1094 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP View Post
After my ride, I was doing my usual post ride inspection of the bike and noticed this cut in the tire. I know this is super subjective and it's

super hard to tell from a pic but I wanted to see what you all thought about it. The cut is into the sidewall a bit. It's a Conti GP5000TL, no sealant came out so it didn't puncture the tire. What do you guys think?
You need to unmount the tyre and inspect it from the inside as well, except if its obvious its cut all the way through. Then just bin it.
Racing Dan is offline  
Old 10-12-20, 02:11 PM
  #25  
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.
 
Psimet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 21,388

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1165 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP View Post
Fine... ride it.



Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Replace



Originally Posted by TonyMTL View Post
Keep an eye on it but if you have the $ and don't care then buy a new one.
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
Kill that with fire.


Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
Kill that with fire after the tire boot gets you home.
__________________
PSIMET Wheels, PSIMET Racing, PSIMET Neutral Race Support, and 11 Jackson Coffee
Podcast - YouTube Channel
Video about PSIMET Wheels

Psimet2001 is offline  
Likes For Psimet2001:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.