Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ohio tour, late sept, temperature/weather prep?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Ohio tour, late sept, temperature/weather prep?

Old 10-04-20, 11:32 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Thanks the additional info. I think its pretty clear I'll have the layers and gloves along at this point. Just not a good idea not to, even with the added bulk/weight of the foul weather suit. Getting a high-tech, light weight something or other before is out of the question so I'll have to roll with what I have. On the up shot - I've spent a week or more in the suit, mostly the coveralls, in damp cool/cold weather and have been pretty comfortable so I have a good expectation of the suits' performance in the potential types of weather - just on boats and not bikes. That will be a good test along with a shake down ride - see how riding in the suit works. I don't think I'll have any restriction in motion, the only initial thought is the baggyness might have some interference. That can be helped with string, velcro straps, rubber bands, or even zip ties - such as keeping the pants out of the chain/chain rings.

I got wiped out with some things I ate a couple days ago. I was pretty well flushed out by yesterday mid-day and so far this morning feel a million times better. That's slowed me down for sure. Better at home and not on a trip though...
Old 10-04-20, 04:53 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Thanks the additional info. I think its pretty clear I'll have the layers and gloves along at this point. Just not a good idea not to, even with the added bulk/weight of the foul weather suit. Getting a high-tech, light weight something or other before is out of the question so I'll have to roll with what I have. On the up shot - I've spent a week or more in the suit, mostly the coveralls, in damp cool/cold weather and have been pretty comfortable so I have a good expectation of the suits' performance in the potential types of weather - just on boats and not bikes. That will be a good test along with a shake down ride - see how riding in the suit works. I don't think I'll have any restriction in motion, the only initial thought is the baggyness might have some interference. That can be helped with string, velcro straps, rubber bands, or even zip ties - such as keeping the pants out of the chain/chain rings.

I got wiped out with some things I ate a couple days ago. I was pretty well flushed out by yesterday mid-day and so far this morning feel a million times better. That's slowed me down for sure. Better at home and not on a trip though...
Indeed.

Old 10-06-20, 05:31 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
FYI, it is supposed to be a GLORIOUS week this week and weekend. GO NOW!!!!!
Old 10-06-20, 08:48 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
FYI, it is supposed to be a GLORIOUS week this week and weekend. GO NOW!!!!!
As of right now my insides are saying "no way". I am hoping that changes soon.
Old 10-09-20, 09:03 PM
KC8QVO

Got the waterproofing reconditioned on both the hammock tarp and the tent fly. I did some seam sealing on the tent fly a couple months ago. However, I set it up and gave it a hose-down to test it the other day. It still had some water inside and from what I could figure it was leaking through the fabric where the poles touch. So I soaked the material with Scotchgard Rain & Sun Shield. I also seam sealed the outside of the window on the fly (I had the inside sealed from before). Over the summer the seams in the window, I believe, are where the majority of the water came in from so I wanted to hit it hard. All the efforts appear to have paid off. I let the Scotchgard cure overnight last night then wiped the fly and tarp down with a towel to get the oily stuff that was still shiny off. Then I hosed them both down again. The tent stayed bone dry. Excellent. The tarp didn't seem to have any issue before, so no improvement from not leaking already, but while I was at it with the Scotchgard I went ahead and sprayed it down also just to do it.

Tomorrow is not a good day for trek prep. I'll likely be out all day. We'll see what Sunday brings (other than tropical storm rain from the hurricane that is down south right now). Hoping early next week I can get my shake down ride in. I do want to replace the cables on the bike before the trip so I thought maybe my shakedown ride can be up to one of the bike shops I go to from time to time. That will get me about 30 miles round trip I think, which would be fine for a shake down ride for me.
Old 10-13-20, 10:45 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 116 Posts
A rain gear choice..

Hi,

It may be too late, but Frogg Toggs offer a fairly low cost and lightweight option. I went that route for golf rain gear and a Scotland trip, so I had it either on me, or on my back, every day for a week.

I used the 'Classic', which was lightweight but kind of bulky. Nothing like real foul-weather gear though!

Was rainproof. Breathable is always borderline IMHO,.even when I've owned a fancy piece.

The Lightweight stuff is well regarded, but the trade-off is that it's somewhat fragile. Not a suit for loading gear.
Old 11-15-20, 08:55 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Doug64
I agree with you guys on using the candle lantern. I think it does add a little warmth to a small tent that is not too drafty. We used ours a lot winter camping and ski touring.

The current blends of butane fuels work well in cold temperatures. The canister is sitting on the snow. My shovel serves as a wind break, while we brew up a quick cup of coffee.

Another use for the candle lantern - to warm up the bottom of fuel cannisters when its cold. I know you arent suppsed to cook in a tent, but I do it every once in a while if the weather is bad out - to stay out of the wind and rain. When its cold the candle lantern is usually running (thats been the case both legs of the trip Im doing). Whether the preheat is warranted or not I think it helps.