Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

NBC SN shutting down!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

NBC SN shutting down!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 10:22 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Well this really sucks!

Not only my only outlet for the tour that is free but a few hockey games as well. I never get to see my team play unless on NBC Sports a handful times a year.

I might after to pickup the gold app now. This sucks big time. I hate all the pay for streaming services. Its a huge joke!
Old 01-27-21, 10:20 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I do watch Tizcycling for most of the races, but I have paid for the cycling pass on NBS Sports Gold. I like Phil, Bob and the gang. Not perfect, but they are like a warm blanket. I also thought the commentators, Anthony McCrossan and Hannah Walker, on the Vuelta were really good this past year.
Old 01-27-21, 11:14 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Seems likely that NBC (which owns TDF broadcast rights through 2023) will just move bike racing to Peacock, and show key stages/recap/highlights on NBC or USA.

Bike racing is fairly niche and with few prominent American contenders in the pro peloton, it's likely a tough sell for US advertisers. I'm not really surprised by this move.
Old 01-27-21, 01:06 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
I do watch Tizcycling for most of the races, but I have paid for the cycling pass on NBS Sports Gold. I like Phil, Bob and the gang. Not perfect, but they are like a warm blanket. I also thought the commentators, Anthony McCrossan and Hannah Walker, on the Vuelta were really good this past year.
I liked Anthony and Hannah in the Vuelta coverage. I also heard Anthony solo on a few races, can't remember which ones. I couldn't believe he would provide commentary for hours on end without a break. At least with Hannah there, they could both step out and go to the bathroom when needed.
Old 01-27-21, 05:06 PM
Greyhounds

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Snotrub
I liked Anthony and Hannah in the Vuelta coverage. I also heard Anthony solo on a few races, can't remember which ones. I couldn't believe he would provide commentary for hours on end without a break. At least with Hannah there, they could both step out and go to the bathroom when needed.
I too thought that Hannah did a great job supporting Ant. That girl knew her stuff. She could speak very intelligently about any topic he threw at her, even some pretty techie stuff.
Likes For Greyhounds:
Old 01-31-21, 05:51 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts
My TdF watching used to be via NBC Sports Gold, but that was spendy, and it became a real snooze (literally) watching for hours each day. After 2 years, I dropped the sub.
Daily 15-20 minute recaps on Youtube are sufficient for me.

I am curious about how much things will really change, since NBC owns USA network, also part of my current cable package.

At the moment I am enjoying the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona on NBCSN, just before dawn. Many hours of coverage. I hope that stays. And I like the NHL games.

Last edited by NJgreyhead; 01-31-21 at 06:10 AM.
Likes For NJgreyhead:
Old 01-31-21, 12:42 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
My TdF watching used to be via NBC Sports Gold, but that was spendy, and it became a real snooze (literally) watching for hours each day. After 2 years, I dropped the sub.
Daily 15-20 minute recaps on Youtube are sufficient for me.

I am curious about how much things will really change, since NBC owns USA network, also part of my current cable package.

At the moment I am enjoying the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona on NBCSN, just before dawn. Many hours of coverage. I hope that stays. And I like the NHL games.
I did not realize you tube has that! thank you!!
Old 01-31-21, 06:14 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
What I watch on NBCSN is English soccer. And if today is any indication I’m screwed. No soccer at all. I did sign up for Peacock since it’s offered for free by Comcast but It sucks. As I understand it this streaming service operates like this: I cannot record any shows and I have to watch the games at the time they are presented. Am I missing something? I even had my local teenager try to figure it out. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 01-31-21, 06:32 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
What I watch on NBCSN is English soccer. And if today is any indication I’m screwed. No soccer at all. I did sign up for Peacock since it’s offered for free by Comcast but It sucks. As I understand it this streaming service operates like this: I cannot record any shows and I have to watch the games at the time they are presented. Am I missing something? I even had my local teenager try to figure it out. Please advise. Thanks.
Does your local NBC affiliate station, the one that does 'over the air' broadcasting in the Bay area, show the Premier League games? They do that here in Los Angeles on Saturday and Sunday mornings before the college football and basketball games get started (and pro BB/football on Sunday). Its limited to Saturday/Sunday, but one of my brothers is a soccer fan and watches it every weekend if there's a top-rank game showing even if it starts at 2AM PCT (10AM in London).
Old 01-31-21, 11:24 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Does your local NBC affiliate station, the one that does 'over the air' broadcasting in the Bay area, show the Premier League games? They do that here in Los Angeles on Saturday and Sunday mornings before the college football and basketball games get started (and pro BB/football on Sunday). Its limited to Saturday/Sunday, but one of my brothers is a soccer fan and watches it every weekend if there's a top-rank game showing even if it starts at 2AM PCT (10AM in London).
This. They do broadcast the EPL on NBC Bay Area on weekends but only a couple of matches.
Old 02-01-21, 02:39 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I don't know if you can get ITV4 Stateside, but they've got daily highlights of Paris-Nice and the Vuelta, and live coverage of the Tour this year.

Quest have had a daily Giro highlights show for the last two seasons.

Both channels are free to air in the UK, and can be viewed live or on demand via the itvplayer and Discovery+ apps.
Old 02-01-21, 07:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
I don't know if you can get ITV4 Stateside, but they've got daily highlights of Paris-Nice and the Vuelta, and live coverage of the Tour this year.

Quest have had a daily Giro highlights show for the last two seasons.

Both channels are free to air in the UK, and can be viewed live or on demand via the itvplayer and Discovery+ apps.
Sadly, none of those channels are offered here.

Ironically...Eurosport is owned/operated by Discovery Channel. But Discovery has made the business choice, in the US market, to rebroadcast ZERO of their sports channels--educational content only.
Old 02-01-21, 01:34 PM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
... heck if I can afford all these pay per channels nowadays.
Just become a rich aristocrat who can go to the events live. Or do what I do and imagine them.
Likes For AMGwagon:
Old 02-01-21, 09:45 PM
The Clumsy Oaf

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Landyachtz Spitfire SS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get my racing from the Lantern Rouge YouTube channel.
Stategy analysis, dry Australian wit, free.
What's not to like?
Old 02-06-21, 12:34 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Not a fan of NBC in any way, EXCEPT NBC-SN. We watch the grand tours, cyclocross, Worlds, especially the track sections, and biathlon, archery, curling (yes, curling) and baseball. The wife watches the golf channel, while I watch paint dry... We get the baseball on a local cable station. My sister got NBC Gold and really liked it for the cycling.
Old 02-06-21, 02:58 AM
Sunwukong

Bikes: Ribble R872, single speed frankencycle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Like many here, NBC SN was my one pay for view sports extravagance. Got hooked on the Tour with my kids in 99. Followed it ever since. My heroes are gone. Teams gone. Watching at the local bar gone. My kids once saw a live stage in Monaco. Probably never again, gone. Cycling is still the best sport and the Tour always delivers. Thanks for the viewing tips going forward.
Old 02-08-21, 03:30 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
the illunimati does want us to watch bike races anymore , or at all , at least in the USA , i have to go on the dark web just to get CX races and the announcers are always speaking elvish
Old 02-23-21, 03:13 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Just get a sub to an IPTV service and a Firestick. Mine costs me 15 a month for 4 feeds. I get about 3,000 channels. I pay by the month. No contracts. It is cheaper if you pay for 3-6 or 12 month sub but I am fine with 15 a month. I have had it since last summer. With a VPN, I can get Eurosport 1 and 2 plus about anything else you can think of. I can get feeds from all over the world so it has worked pretty good for the last 10 months for me. Little to no buffering either if you have a 35+mb Wi-Fi connection. And yes, I can stream 4k if it is available.

john
Old 06-29-21, 06:07 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I don't get what's happening. they said they're not having it anymore but indeed I am watching TDF even as we speak on the same channel I always have, 212, NBCSH, it's the same 2 Chrises plus the regular announcers announcing the race and adam on the bike.

am I high or what?
Old 06-29-21, 06:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I don't get what's happening. they said they're not having it anymore but indeed I am watching TDF even as we speak on the same channel I always have, 212, NBCSH, it's the same 2 Chrises plus the regular announcers announcing the race and adam on the bike.

am I high or what?
That's different from the streaming bit. The streaming side is only on Peacock.

Old 06-30-21, 10:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
the illunimati does want us to watch bike races anymore , or at all , at least in the USA , i have to go on the dark web just to get CX races and the announcers are always speaking elvish
Illuminate? It is purely a business decision. No conspiracy, no subversion, no secret society of elites, just money.

Old 07-01-21, 02:37 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Ratings for sports in general has tanked. If sports leagues relied on ratings for survival many would be in serious trouble but they make their money from contracts with cable companies. Same with cable news networks. If you have cable you keep them alive even if you don't watch it.

The last game of the 1998 NBA finals had 36 million viewers. The last game of the 2020 NBA finals, with everyone stuck at home had 8 million viewers which was the lowest in history. Game 3 actually had just 4 million. The 2021 Super Bowl with Brady going for his 7th win with a new team and everyone locked down at home had the lowest rating in 52 years.

What's interesting is when the virus broke out and the lockdowns started the media was saying sports ratings would be at record highs but it was the complete opposite.
Old 07-01-21, 07:13 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara

am I high or what?
Post #1 said the shutdown was to happen by the end of 2021.
Old 07-02-21, 08:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
Faux News analysis.
Well I don't get political and Fox will never be on my TV again but in about week 4 of the NFL season last year when it was undeniable what was happening all the news and sports networks simultaneously had a blackout on reporting about the protests when it had been the main stories promoting it and it hasn't hardly been mentioned since. The players are no longer asked questions about it. And last October (about the same time) the NBA commissioner basically admitted it was the cause of the historic rating tank and said the social justice messaging would be removed for this season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...020-21-season/
Old 07-02-21, 08:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Well I don't get political and Fox will never be on my TV again but in about week 4 of the NFL season last year when it was undeniable what was happening all the news and sports networks simultaneously had a blackout on reporting about the protests when it had been the main stories promoting it and it hasn't hardly been mentioned since. The players are no longer asked questions about it. And last October (about the same time) the NBA commissioner basically admitted it was the cause of the historic rating tank and said the social justice messaging would be removed for this season.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/n...020-21-season/

The trends in declining ratings for sports long predate any of this, and I don't see anything in your article that "basically admits" anything of the kind.

The issue really is that viewership for pretty much any event is down as streaming has converted TV watching almost entirely to an "on demand" activity. I think generational habits were ingrained when lots of people watched sports events because there was "nothing better on", and you're now getting entire generations of people who never developed that habit.

It's not just sports, btw. Back 25 years ago, I remember that I really didn't know too many people who DIDN'T watch the Oscars. Now I don't know anyone who watches more than a few minutes of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.