Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

POC is releasing the first solar charging LED rear light helmet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 07:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts

https://bikerumor.com/2021/02/16/poc...ss-visibility/

https://www.pocsports.com/collection...s/omne-eternal

Really cool tech. If the first version misses the mark somehow, hopefully it will be further refined for future versions.
Apparently an hour of light per day is enough to keep it 'robustly' charged.

- wonder how long the light lasts on a full charge.
- why not offer it in more visible colors?...the helmet is designed around visibility.
- wonder what it weighs.
Old 02-16-21, 07:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I heard it can charge itself from the tail light on the bike ahead of it, so an entire peloton can run indefinitely off the light from the lead rider.
Old 02-16-21, 07:30 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1580 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Isn't that nice.
Old 02-16-21, 07:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I like the idea, but the product description states that it senses light conditions and turns itself on automatically. If it only turns itself on in the dark, it's not very useful...I run a taillight (sometimes 2x) during daylight.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-16-21, 09:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Cool. If I had a POC head, I'd consider it.
Old 02-16-21, 09:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Koyote
I like the idea, but the product description states that it senses light conditions and turns itself on automatically. If it only turns itself on in the dark, it's not very useful...I run a taillight (sometimes 2x) during daylight.
I would think/hope that POC engineers wouldn't consider this to be a replacement to a tail light, but as an additional light or a Plan B, at best. All bets are off when it comes to their marketing team, though.
Old 02-16-21, 10:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I really like the POC helmet I've been using but ... matte black? for a night helmet? I waited near a full year before buying the POC until I could get one in white in my size. Notice in the POC website linked in the OP that the orange bike is far more visible than either the helmet or the helmet light. Yes, lit by the car headlight, but even if that car used its high beams, the driver would never see the helmet (and the high beams would probably drown out the light).
Old 02-17-21, 06:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Cool, but my little sneakers already light up when I ride.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-17-21, 09:17 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
One can easily attach a rechargeable LED blinker to one's helmet for $20.
I ponder what this new gizmo will be $elling for?
Old 02-17-21, 02:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
One can easily attach a rechargeable LED blinker to one's helmet for $20.
I ponder what this new gizmo will be $elling for?
International pricing hasnt been announced. Its reported to cost 250euro, which is $300usd.
So a POC Ventral for $290 or a Ventral Air for $250 plus a blinky costs about the same as this solar charging helmet.

To be clear, there are basically always cheaper solutions. One neednt ride a $5000 bike when a $2000 bike is 97% as capable. Same for shoes, sunglasses, and most everything else in hobbies really.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-17-21, 03:13 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
A helmet intended to be used in the dark that has a light powered by the sun. Huh.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 02-18-21, 08:25 AM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Not available until June. I guess if you don't already have a POC helmet and can't be bothered to charge and turn on your light you attach to your helmet its a good deal. It's also not their top of the line helmet the ventral spin wonder why they don't attach to that.
Old 02-18-21, 08:51 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by oujeep1
It's also not their top of the line helmet the ventral spin wonder why they don't attach to that.
Presumably because attaching unnecessary electronic junk to a helmet is not a high-end concept.
Old 02-18-21, 09:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Solution looking for a problem.

I think this is one of those things where people really want to look cool or clean on their bike without a bunch of strap on lights. So it being built into a helmet brings a bit of aesthetic appeal for the purchase.

I always say "you do you". But lots of pros run saddle bags and both a rear AND front light that burns in daylight for training rides.

I feel like the integrated light tech has always been something places attempt but don't pull off really well in the long run. Wasn't there a whole bicycle a while back with an integrated gps and front light in the stem and an integrated rear light in the seatpost? Yeah, that screams long term issues if something happens.

I think for nice big front lights, you can already get pretty clean with a k-edge double sided gps/light mount. Out back........I couldn't care less about looking cool. Garmin Varia all the way. If I ride in actual darkness I take my fancy running headlamp and just wear it under my helmet. If you pull on the elastic a bit then tighten your helmet ratchet, it works. Then I have both a bike headlight and the rear Varia and a body front/rear light that moves with my head.

If somebody is dead set on not having a bunch of separate lamps clamped to their bike all the time.........the single runner's headlamp works pretty well if you get an expensive one with good front lumens. I think I've seen around 600 lumen head lamps these days. Then you just deal with recharging and using one device not attached to any single bike. And can use it to run.
Old 02-18-21, 10:55 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
While this is NOT the helmet for me, I would like helmet manufacturers to consider that some of us might put a tail light on the helmet - and design around that a little. I don't mean some mounting system; just something as simple as having the center rib somewhat in range of the over O.D. of a seat tube - or gaps to allow a strap.

Helmet mounted lights have a couple unique functions...
1. Obviously, they're higher; move around more than the seat post - more visible.
2. If - and yes this happens - the rider is separated from the bike, being seen is a bonus... as you're laying dazed on the road.

I was in a 2-bike crash on a predawn ride - flipped, tangled, slammed. I laid there on my back stunned for about 3 seconds before it dawned on me "OH $^#@! I'm laying in the middle of the road in a black and red (mostly black) kit with no lights... 6' from my bike. Okay, sure, a light on my helmet may have shattered... maybe.

Last edited by Zaskar; 02-18-21 at 11:49 AM.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 02-18-21, 11:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
While this is NOT the helmet for me, I would like helmet manufacturers to consider that some of us might put a tail light on the helmet - and design around that a little. I don't mean some mounting system; just a something as simple as having the center rib somewhat in range of the over O.D. of a seat tube - or gaps to allow a strap.

Helmet mounted lights have a couple unique functions...
1. Obviously, they're higher move around more than the seat post - more visible.
2. If - and yes this happens - the rider is separated from the bike, being seen is a bonus... as you're laying dazed on the road.

I was in a 2-bike crash on a predawn ride - flipped, tangled, slammed. I laid there on my back stunned for about 3 seconds before it dawned on me "OH $^#@! I'm laying in the middle of the road in a black and red (mostly black) kit with no lights... 6' from my bike. Okay, sure, a light on my helmet may have shattered... maybe.
A Garmin/Wahoo combo mount is so common they could just put one of those on the strapping where the tightening buckle kind of is. Then just rotate onto that whatever you please.

Or they can provide a little flattened panel on the back instead of a point on the rear where it has two little slots for a banded style light or you could also zip tie your Garmin/Wahoo style twist connect there. Just a little 3"x3" square of space with known good shape.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-18-21, 12:15 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I laid there on my back stunned for about 3 seconds before it dawned on me "OH $^#@! I'm laying in the middle of the road in a black and red (mostly black) kit with no lights...
Solution:

A new skinsuit, made by the Tron Guy. It'd be far more visible:

Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 02-18-21, 01:30 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Solution:

A new skinsuit, made by the Tron Guy. It'd be far more visible:

Isadore has already brought a lit jacket to market, but I like the Tron design better -

Old 02-22-21, 03:27 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Isadore has already brought a lit jacket to market, but I like the Tron design better -

Dammit, you beat me to it!

Yeah, I want.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider: