Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Android App - "Talk to me"

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-02-21, 08:10 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

Long story short: I killed my moto z4 this week (waterproof rating expired); I had my old Droid in a drawer and dropped in the SIM card until I could get my new Moto G Power (there are shortages on Android phones around here). While using my old Droid, I found this really great Moto feature. While riding, I have an earbud in one ear and this app announces a text arrived, you can have it read to you, and asks if you want to reply, allowing you to voice-to-text reply. My z4 did not have this feature, and the new G Power doesn't have either.

I'm searching Google Play for apps like this ... so many terrible options that are not like this old Moto app. Let me know if you've found a good app that fits my goals, thanks!

Old 07-06-21, 07:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Hypno Toad Like You I ride with one earbud. Since a couple of OS updates ago, when I use a wired earbud, a long, long pres of the button has google assistant mention the time and mention any texts or gmails. I don't think I can respond verbally.

But, a few years ago My LG G3 (with wired earbud) acted just like yours, announcing incoming emils and texts, reading them, and asking if I wanted to respond, then allowing me to do so verbally.

While wired earbuds with buttons seem to all behave the same with google, assistant, it seems to me that bluetooth earbuds act differently from the wired versions and from each other depending on make and model.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-07-21, 12:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, the Moto G is a pretty good phone. Long battery life. I've had mine for a year, but I can't find any feature like that on it. Motorola just updated the system tonight but I'm still not seeing that feature.
Likes For canklecat: