Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Bad tubes

Old 07-23-21, 05:12 PM
Seu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bad tubes

I just tossed some Teravail tubes (27.5 x 1.5-1.95) in the trash. I installed one in a Panaracer 650b x 42 tire (53 psi) but within hours the tube split on a seam and left me flat. It was not ridden, it just went flat in the garage. Repaired the tube and in a few hours it went flat with the same seam splitting. I tossed that tube and a new in the box Teravail tube, into the trash. These were bought in May 2021.

I don't think I can trust the off brands. These were made in Taiwan which seemed a better bet than the Chinese ones.

Have others experienced this problem with off brand or name brand tubes? I can't remember this happening before no matter where they are manufactured.
Old 07-23-21, 05:24 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 114 Posts
You posted two threads on this same topic, in different forums.

Last edited by Nessism; 07-23-21 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-23-21, 06:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 445 Posts
If you're riding 650b wheels, you almost certainly know what you're doing, but any mention of a "split seam" in a recently installed tube supposedly being responsible for failure of the tube raises a warning flag---especially with an oversized tube such as you were using. It's extremely easy to trap part of an oversized tube between the tire bead and the rim, leading to an eventual explosion, immediate or delayed.

After you install your next tube, inflate it to just a few pounds of pressure and then check around both sides of the rim. If and when you find a section where the tube is visible, pinched under the tire bead, work the tube back into the tire such that it is no longer visible. Once you're sure that the tube is entirely within the tire and not pinched under the bead at any point, inflate cautiously, 10 pounds at a time, checking after every round of inflation that the witness line above the tire bead is visible all the way around the wheel, without any high spots or low spots.

tl;dr: chances are that the tubes aren't defective; you might just need to be more careful installing them.
Likes For Trakhak: