Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you get cramps and lockups in long rides
I do not
57.41%
I do get only cramps, no lockups
20.37%
I do get cramps and mustle lockups
22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Cramps

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 06:13 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I get cramps , usually after a long ride but not always. Sometimes during a long ride. One of the main reasons I went to an e bike. E bike did not solve the problem because I increased my riding distances and times a lot.
I did not use to get cramps when I was younger but started to get them over 55 years old. I tend to get low on sodium very easily and eat salty chips while riding. I hydrate as much as possible. The amount of sleep that I get is a big predictor of when I will get cramps.
Here is a product that works. When I think I might be vulnerable to cramps I keep this in my pocket. When I feel the cramps coming on I put three of these little pills under my tongue, I do not swallow or swish them around. In about a minutes time the cramps will release. You have to have them within reach or its misery to get to them. Available over the counter and on Amazon. No real limit on how many you can take.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 03-17-21, 09:32 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
"Whenever you see multiple approaches to a problem , it means nothing is working."
Surgical maxim
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 03-22-21, 05:30 AM
De Sisti

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about trying tonic water, which contains quinine.
Old 03-22-21, 05:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Sport Legs have worked well for me and for every person I have talked to that has used them.

https://www.sportlegs.com/
Old 03-22-21, 11:14 PM
bradybunch84

Bikes: Trek Verve 1. Also Lectric XPremium

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've had problems with muscle cramps all my life. In my fifties they were getting pretty painful. When I hit 60 they were just down right painful and felt as if my muscles tore from the intensity of the cramps. There would be pain from the original cramp and it would last for almost 2 weeks. I finally went to the doctor about these cramps. I was afraid I was causing permanent damage to my muscles. He prescribed over the counter Magnesium. 500mg a day. Maybe bump up to 750mg a day he said. And of course he told me to drink lots of water which I had already been doing. Bingo! That did the trick! If I ever got another muscle cramp it wasn't very painful and I got over them real quick. Not like before where I would be in agony for hours. I really don't even get many cramps now but I take those Magnesium pills every day, you can believe it. I am 64 now.
Old 07-28-21, 09:46 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

There is an old surgial maxim,
" If you find more than one approach to a problem being used, it means that nothing is working.
It means everyone still has it wrong."

If you find the right approach, nobody uses anything else.

PS: oops, first post got disappeared for a while

Last edited by bikebikebike; 08-02-21 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-29-21, 12:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
The only cramps I can remember was a very long time ago, when I was 21 years old, I think, I rode the train all night from Perugia Italy to La Spezia or Tellaro on the Mediterranean.

Hot day on the rocky beach, and swimming in the Mediterranean. At times we'd take a shortcut swimming across a small bay. Then 50 yards or so from shore, Bam, one leg. Then Bam, the second leg. Fortunately my arms didn't cramp, but it scared me. An hour or so and I had recuperated, but for the rest of that trip I kept relatively close to shore.

It is hard to say what caused the cramping, but I blame it on a lack of sleep and too much espresso. That may have been the last red-eye to the coast.

As far as cycling, I can't ever remember a critical cramp on the bike.

I'll occasionally twist a knee getting up or down, or in or out of something. And it will knock me to the ground. But I don't think of it as a muscle cramp. Those knee problems started in my late teens or early twenties, and then more or less disappeared for a few decades, but have now rarely returned. Again, I don't think it is cycling related. And, for me, I believe cycling is the best thing I can do for the knees.
Old 07-29-21, 05:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
"Whenever you see multiple approaches to a problem , it means nothing is working."
Surgical maxim
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
There is an old surgial maxim,
" If you find more than one approach to a problem being used, it means that nothing is working.
It means everyone still has it wrong."

If you find the right approach, nobody uses anything else.
Old 07-29-21, 05:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Fluids and minerals are no substitute for fitness for the task.

How do you measure your progressive increase in weekly training load?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-29-21, 05:29 AM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I don’t know how to actually resolve leg cramps, but please don’t waste your money on homeopathy or support companies that sell fake medicine. Even herbal stuff can sometimes be effective, but homeopathic tablets are literally sugar pills that at one time came in contact with an incredibly diluted solution of some substance. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/reference/homeopathy/
Likes For RobbiRobbi:
Old 07-29-21, 06:14 AM
Ryno317
Member in Training

Bikes: '21 GT Aggressor Pro, '16 Norco 7.1 Storm << son's bike

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have started taking a Potassium supplement along with my One a day Multi vitamin and increased my water consumption during the day prior to a big ride or a hot ride. I have also started drinking Body Armor sports drink mainly due to it using coconut water as its base, as a post ride drink.
Old 07-29-21, 08:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've had cramps before, but not lockups. I used to ride with water, and I would make sure I drank plenty of water on my rides. But I didn't realize that I was washing all the electrolytes out of my system. So I started carrying Gatorade powder with me and that basically got rid of all my leg cramps. I'd mix the powder in one bottle, and leave the other just plain ice water because sometimes I'd get tired of drinking Gatorade and so I"d have a choice. I'm going to start carrying electrolyte tabs because they're more convenient to carry.
Old 07-29-21, 08:57 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I had cramps once, the day after doing 200+ and 26,000 feet feet of climbing. I guzzled a couple gas station packets of mustard and relish which fixed me.
Old 07-29-21, 10:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
We're talking about exercise-related cramping, and no one actually knows what triggers those kind of cramps. Our muscles get tired and we cramp, or they get tired and they don't cramp. No one really knows why the same tired muscle will only cramp once in a while, and it's too random to reproduce the effect under laboratory conditions.. The trigger suspects that people name, like dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, are almost certainly not the triggers as attempts to prove that they are have not borne fruit at all.

Basically, these threads just become museum displays of the post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy. People say "x causes cramps because I was doing x when I got the cramp" or "y cures cramps because I took y and the cramp went away". What's interesting about that is that almost no two people in the thread will agree on both what x and y are, and they're often completely contradictory.
Old 07-29-21, 12:20 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I sometimes get bitten by the cramp monster.
Old 07-29-21, 12:40 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by dfrench52
Hot pepper is a cure that my wife has found useful for leg cramps after working out (so far, I haven't had the problem). We heard about this on The People's pharmacy, broadcast from Durham, NC but you can obtain podcasts.

The particular episode is: https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/arti...-muscle-cramps

We just put a few shakes of Tabasco sauce into mug, put in a pinch of sugar ( optional), add a tablespoon or two of tap water, swirl the mix around a time or two. Then she'll toss it back. Cramps abate within seconds for her. Maybe it's the pain from the peppers that makes her think about that instead of cramps.😂
I have always heard pickle juice is effective. It worked for me when I got a leg cramp AFTER the ride. I have never had a during the ride cramp, but have had them at night after an early season ride or a longer than normal ride. However fortunately they are rare.
Old 07-29-21, 03:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by De Sisti
How about trying tonic water, which contains quinine.
Only if gin and limes are involved.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-29-21, 03:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
I must not get 'muscle lockups' because I have no idea what that would be. I get occasional cramps, but only after my 3-4 1/2 hour Sunday rides, never during the rides. They often hit when I do something like crouching to pet the dog or that sort of thing. Sometimes I get cramps in my feet, too. If I lie face down with my feet completely on the bed, I get them. If I can hang my toes off the end of the bed, I don't. Go figure.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-30-21, 01:27 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I've gotten them all my life, in legs, arms, fingers, etc. Sometimes while riding, sometimes after, sometimes when I haven't been near a bike for a month. Sometimes associated with use, sometimes at rest. I've ridden drinking Gatorade, avoiding Gatorade, taking co Q-10, taking magnesium, drinking vinegar after rides, with no noticeable difference in indicence.
Old 08-02-21, 09:59 AM
bikebikebike

Muscle metabolism is complex and there are lots of genetic and environmental variables.
Add to that inconsistent timing and input on the variables.
Lots of stuff becomes rituals, in the same way that I make it rain by washing my car.

Quinine(s) have been found to have an unacceptable safety profile, and dubious effect.
Water and electrolytes can be misused.
Easy problems are easy , hard ones are hard.
Just be methodical, and don't do dumb stuff, if you can,
since it's hard to really know what you are treating
Unless you know what G-protein calcium gate or protein morphology your genetics produced
or it just went away.
Likes For bikebikebike: