Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Advise for Raleigh Road Bike purchase on Craigslist

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-09, 07:23 PM
Chernickov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been looking for a stylish, inexpensive, yet dependable (isn't that what everyone wants?) road bike recently, but not long enough to become familiar with quality and fair prices.

I came across this posting on Craigslist for a bike in the town just next to mine:

Nice Vintage 1973 Philips Deluxe by Raleigh 56cm Road bike, Sweet Original Emerald Green & White paint scheme, Original white handlebar wraps, 27" inch white wall tires (tires & inner tubes are Brand New), Brand New White Low profile saddle
He's asking $120. Given I go check it out and the brakes look decent, the tires aren't wobbly and such, would this be a good deal?

Thank you very much for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01.jpg (99.9 KB, 12 views)
02.jpg (101.1 KB, 17 views)
03.jpg (100.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-01-09, 07:50 PM
VeganForPeace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks JUST like the one I just bought, though it's a Marathon. Ride it first and make sure everything works right, but I would go for it.

I spent 125 on mine, so I think it may be a fair price.
Old 08-01-09, 10:14 PM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks appropriately priced for the metro boston area. If one had to replace the tires and do any work, i'd say haggle down to 100. But it looks rather nice and as long as there are no structural issues, like a bent fork etc... then you can always resell for what you are paying for it.