Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Turning a leather purse into a randonneur style saddle bag.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-12-09, 08:02 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Below are pics of my prototype leather purse to randonneur style saddle bag.

In an earlier post, I described how my wife helped me identify brands of women's purses that had potential. The Dooney & Bourke bags appeared to me the best candidate. They are extremely well-made and have a sort of Orvis masculine look to them. These are the purses from the 1990's, black leather with tan leather trim with the duck emblem that retailed for $200 plus.

The first one I got off the Bay for about $30 was in LN condition and, as I planned, was immediately snagged by my wife. The next one was $20 and in a little different style that looked even more like a bike bag.

The bag is about 10" x 8" x 3-4" -- About right for a large textbook with room to spare. There are several small pockets inside, one zipped, and an outside pocket on the back. There really is a lot of room. This one contains my tube/tools stuff sack, a full size cable lock, 24 oz bottle, and a newspaper. And, I could expand the front straps and add a jersey or jacket if I wanted.

Using leather straps to secure the bag to the seat would be nice, however, velcro pressure straps do a much better job of creating a tight fit with less sway. On the prototype, I used layers of duct tape to reinforce the slits I cut for the straps. I'm sure many of you could find a more elegant solution.

This bag would also work well on the handlebars.

Old 08-12-09, 08:07 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That looks great! I wonder what my wife would say or do if I were to do the same to one of her Coach Bags??
Old 08-12-09, 08:10 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by gr23932
That looks great! I wonder what my wife would say or do if I were to do the same to one of her Coach Bags??
The answer is what I did. Buy a very good one off the bay. Tell her you bought it to modify into a bike bag, but if she wants it, you would love to give it to her and then get another off the bay. There will be no complaint, just complements about your good taste and ingenuity.
Old 08-12-09, 08:11 PM
unclebird

Bikes: Mercier SS, Raleigh Rush Hour, Dahon Helios, Marin Fairfax, 86 Bridgestone 450, Raleigh Detour, Motobecane Mirage...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm diggin it !
Old 08-12-09, 08:12 PM
gr23932
Si se Puede!!!....Ahuevo!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
The answer is what I did. Buy a very good one off the bay. Tell her you bought it to modify into a bike bag, but if she wants it, you would love to give it to her and then get another off the bay. There will be no complaint, just complements about your good taste and ingenuity.
Very Smooth!! I'm off to try it.
Old 08-12-09, 08:16 PM
RFC

I have learned that women who carry a Dooney & Bourke or Coach bag tend to do so, not because it is "cute," but because they want an extremely well-made bag that will last, is a little elegant, but not over the top, and will hold all of their stuff. In their bag selection, they tend to be at least somewhat functionally driven. A little like a briefcase.

Oh, and this style of purse, I have also learned, is officially referred to as a "saddle bag," so you're almost home.

Last edited by RFC; 08-12-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 04:33 AM
EraserGirl

Bikes: Armstrong, Robin Hood, Hercules, Phillips

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am seriously jealous of your bag, while wondering why you left the shoulder strap attached?

i have several 'handbags' that i am converting, my next experiment will be to ask my local cobbler to sew the strap reinforcements using real leather. i have found that the adhesive on many duct tapes tends to 'bleed' and leak when exposed to heat or extensive use.
Old 08-13-09, 05:52 AM
katekosar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a terrific idea! I am hating the idea of spending $100+ for the Ortlieb handlebar bag. Maybe a trip to our Salvation Army would be in order???

Thanks for getting the creative juices flowing.

Old 08-13-09, 06:23 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 176 Posts
Didn't the folks at Dooney & Bourke have something to do with Rivendell's Sackville line? That bag looks perfect for the application, lets see if old Dooney & Bourke bag prices sky rocket now.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 08-13-09, 08:04 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by katekosar
What a terrific idea! I am hating the idea of spending $100+ for the Ortlieb handlebar bag. Maybe a trip to our Salvation Army would be in order???

Thanks for getting the creative juices flowing.

Agreed. The world is full of bags with multiple potential uses. You just need to use your imagination.
Old 08-13-09, 08:08 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by EraserGirl
i am seriously jealous of your bag, while wondering why you left the shoulder strap attached?

i have several 'handbags' that i am converting, my next experiment will be to ask my local cobbler to sew the strap reinforcements using real leather. i have found that the adhesive on many duct tapes tends to 'bleed' and leak when exposed to heat or extensive use.
I left the strap on for now because I haven't determined whether there is an alternative use. Presently, I have cut it short into a sort of briefcase handle.

You are right about duct tape. That was just a stopgap measure while I was working on the prototype. I have some tweaking to do -- additional reinforcement, velcro, etc. However, I think the concept is sound and that I'm about 90% of the way there. I'll make a trip to Ace this afternoon after I get some real work done.

Last edited by RFC; 08-13-09 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-13-09, 08:12 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by mkeller234
Didn't the folks at Dooney & Bourke have something to do with Rivendell's Sackville line? That bag looks perfect for the application, lets see if old Dooney & Bourke bag prices sky rocket now.
It may take a while for any impact to the D&B market. There are hundreds, maybe more, for sale on the Bay.
Old 08-13-09, 08:24 AM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,072 Times in 634 Posts
eBay? Try Salvation Army. They may never have nice bikes at yours, but I can guarantee they will have plenty of purses/handbags (or whatever you choose to call them). Probably can score one for less than the price of eBay shipping.
Old 08-13-09, 08:45 AM
RFC

Originally Posted by USAZorro
eBay? Try Salvation Army. They may never have nice bikes at yours, but I can guarantee they will have plenty of purses/handbags (or whatever you choose to call them). Probably can score one for less than the price of eBay shipping.
Good point. I am very interested to see what others come up with.
Old 08-13-09, 07:40 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Very nice. I'm inspired.
Old 08-13-09, 08:56 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
And here I thought I was the first one with the idea of using women's handbags as saddlebags. I have been picking them up for a dollar at yard sales -- not these designer bags, but smaller, leather, and new or almost new. Very nice application of the larger bag. I've been wondering about the best method to attach it to the bike, and velcro straps look like the best way.
Old 08-13-09, 09:03 PM
ummbnb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doh! Off to check the contents of my purse bin....
Old 08-13-09, 09:07 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I've been scouting Goodwill stores for just that sort of thing. Good to see how well it works.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-13-09, 09:14 PM
RFC

Today, in between client meetings, I passed a Goodwill in Fountain Hills and stopped in. I have to report that the purse selection was all junk with no good candidates. Just to save time, I think I will probably stick to the highend designer purses ($20!!!) on the bay.
Old 08-13-09, 10:37 PM
RFC

Originally Posted by DavidW56
And here I thought I was the first one with the idea of using women's handbags as saddlebags. I have been picking them up for a dollar at yard sales -- not these designer bags, but smaller, leather, and new or almost new. Very nice application of the larger bag. I've been wondering about the best method to attach it to the bike, and velcro straps look like the best way.
Please show us what you have done. I'm just a hack and could use some ideas.
Old 08-14-09, 08:06 AM
ummbnb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wrt thrift store bags. You have to be persistant. I'm a big thrifter and have a decent collection of designer handbags. My latest find were two Kate Spade bags, one fake and one real....$5 each. Coach and D&B are pretty common around these parts if you get there first thing in the morning.
Old 08-14-09, 08:12 AM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something else to consider are leather shaving kit bags and also milsurp ammo pouches. I'm headed to a military surplus store this weekend to look at old Swiss canvas/leather ammo bags than look like they could be modifed to be panniers with little effort.
Old 02-11-17, 07:14 AM
mikecoulson
mikecoulson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turning A leather purse Into A Randonneur Style Saddle Bag

Randonneur style Saddle Bag is looking great. I have learned that women who carry a Dooney & Bourke on her cycle, not because of cuteness, but this bag hold many things. It is just like a briefcase .We can hang the handy bag very smoothly. I want to try this one.
Old 02-11-17, 11:58 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by mikecoulson
Randonneur style Saddle Bag is looking great. I have learned that women who carry a Dooney & Bourke on her cycle, not because of cuteness, but this bag hold many things. It is just like a briefcase .We can hang the handy bag very smoothly. I want to try this one.
Every once in awhile, someone revives a zombie thread, and I am glad they did.
Old 02-11-17, 02:38 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Zombie thread, but, nonetheless, pertinent information:

A Speedy Stitcher (sewing awl) is a perfect candidate for reinforcing/modifying an already-assembled bag, whether stitching in new material, or fixing what is already present.

Vintage canvas handlebar bags pop up every now and then, that were intended for decaleur mounting, but can be modified to fit the upright on randonnée/porteur-style racks (BTW, English keyboards are really irritating to use to put accents over letters):

Of course, one was added to the bottom, as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.