Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Cantis for < $100/set

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-31-16, 12:26 PM
SvenSurly

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, set up for road use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Without breaking the bank, I'm looking to finally upgrade the Tektro Oryxes (Oryces?) that came stock on my Surly CrossCheck. I have the thing set up basically as a road bike, but because of the way the frame is built, I have to stick with cantis.

I'm checking out a few pairs, all of which have good reviews, but I'm unable to decide. Flip-flopping btw Avid Shorty Ultimates, Paul Components Touring cantis (not the ones that lie flat), and Shimano CX-70s.

My biggest goal would be to have the following, in no particular order: power; ease of adjustment; little-to-no required readjustment; cartridge-style pads. I'm slightly concerned that the Paul and Shimano sets might be less effective, since they don't appear to have threaded posts that allow for toe-in adjustment.

I don't think it matters, but just in case, I have SRAM Rival brifters.

Any thoughts or other ideas are welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-31-16, 12:42 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
How about Rodbike's Big Squeeze?

BTW Pauls cost >$100 / brakeset.
Old 01-31-16, 12:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Not on your list but tektro cr720s are excellent and the pair runs half your proposed budget.
Old 01-31-16, 12:50 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Hmm, those look like an option. You have a set and like them, I assume? One thing, it says they're designed for tandems; wouldn't that make them over-powered for regular, if heavy, road/touring bikes?

BTW Pauls and Shimano cost >$100 / brakeset.
You're right about the Pauls, though they're currently on sale at Jenson for $99. The CX70s, though, are only $65 per.
Old 01-31-16, 12:52 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Not on your list but tektro cr720s are excellent and the pair runs half your proposed budget.
Thanks for that. I neglected to mention, I'm trying to stay away from horizontal-profile brakes, as they tend to dig into my calves when I stand in the saddle.
Old 01-31-16, 12:56 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any thoughts on these: https://www.cyclocross.com/product/p...ort-pull-brake (Paul Mini-Motos)? They're a bit over-budget, but not so bad if they're worth it.
Old 01-31-16, 01:50 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn' have any success with the Tekro Oxy's that came on my bike, replaced with the 720, didn't feel much improvement. Switched to these from Velo Orange and have been very happy.

Grand Cru Zeste Cantilever Brakeset - Brakes - Brakes & Parts - Components
Old 01-31-16, 02:00 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I have experience with 2 brands of cantilever brakes, Cane Creek SCX -5 and Paul Touring and Retro. I have the Cane Creek brakes on 2 bikes and I have been happy with them. I run the Paul brakes on my CX bike, a Touring in the back and a Neo-Retro in the front. If I had it to do over again, I'd also run the Paul Touring in the front. However, it is not because of performance; the Neo-Retro performs very well. It is the shape that has cause me some issues in shipping the bike. One of the horizontal arms on the front brake was bent in shipment, and actually punched a hole in the shipping box. I really like the Paul brakes. They are easy to adjust and and have very smooth modulation. They are also very good at stopping.

I believe that all canti and v-brakes will work better with Kool Stop Salmon colored pads. Both the Cane Creek and the Paul brakes are high quality, and more than adequate for most situations.

Have you thought about using v-brakes with a Travel Agent?
Old 01-31-16, 02:14 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I had, yeah; but that just looks too ugly for me. That's why I considered the Paul Mini Motos. Thanks!
Old 01-31-16, 02:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If your goal is better performance, a lot of people have switched to Koolstop Salmon color pads and raved about them. I personally have liked every set of brakes I have used, so I have not bothered to try different pads, but if I wanted to boost performance the first thing I would try is changing pads to the Koolstop Salmon.

I also like these.

Originally Posted by SvenSurly
Thanks for that. I neglected to mention, I'm trying to stay away from horizontal-profile brakes, as they tend to dig into my calves when I stand in the saddle.
I do not understand how they dig into calves. But, I do not stand on the pedals. Some people have had problems with a front pannier being in the wrong place with this configuration of brakes.
Old 01-31-16, 02:17 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
I didn' have any success with the Tekro Oxy's that came on my bike, replaced with the 720, didn't feel much improvement. Switched to these from Velo Orange and have been very happy.

Grand Cru Zeste Cantilever Brakeset - Brakes - Brakes & Parts - Components
<strike>Thanks for that. Do those have toe-in adjustment? Wasn't 100% clear from the description. Or is it unnecessary?</strike>

EDIT. Ignore that: I'm an idiot. I see the last bullet says they do have toe-in.

Last edited by SvenSurly; 01-31-16 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 02:19 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not understand how they dig into calves. But, I do not stand on the pedals. Some people have had problems with a front pannier being in the wrong place with this configuration of brakes.
Maybe it's an issue with the way the frame is built on the CrossCheck? I'm not sure. All I can say is that I've definitely stabbed myself with an errant cable-end that was sticking straight out, so there's just not a lot of clearance on my particular ride.
Old 01-31-16, 02:26 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If your goal is better performance, a lot of people have switched to Koolstop Salmon color pads and raved about them. I personally have liked every set of brakes I have used, so I have not bothered to try different pads, but if I wanted to boost performance the first thing I would try is changing pads to the Koolstop Salmon.
Forgot to say, the issue is not lack of power. The issue is the brakes themselves have had it after several seasons of salty, nasty winter roads. It's time for a new set, so I figured I'd upgrade as well.

As for Koolstop, I've had seriously bad luck with those pads. They stop fine, but unless they're set up exactly right, the squeal is so bad as to make you not want to use them at all!
Old 01-31-16, 03:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Maybe it's an issue with the way the frame is built on the CrossCheck? I'm not sure. All I can say is that I've definitely stabbed myself with an errant cable-end that was sticking straight out, so there's just not a lot of clearance on my particular ride.
Then the problem is the cable, not the cantilevers, right?
Old 01-31-16, 03:47 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then the problem is the cable, not the cantilevers, right?
In that instance, yes. The point is, when stuff sticks out much further than about 1cm past the seat stays, it hits my legs when I stand.
Old 01-31-16, 07:47 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Any thoughts on these: https://www.cyclocross.com/product/p...ort-pull-brake (Paul Mini-Motos)? They're a bit over-budget, but not so bad if they're worth it.
Paul brake prices are usually given for each brake. That would put the cost at about $260 for a set. is that still in the "bit over-budget" range? Just didn't know if you were aware of that.
Old 01-31-16, 07:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Paul makes some really awesome stuff that looks nice, works well and is made in 'merica. Plus Paul is a super nice dude. If I were buying cantis I would probably go with Paul Comp. If I was building up a super light cross bike I might go with the TRP Revo-X Crabons. Probably the only thing from Paul I wouldn't ever consider would be the Tall and Handsome seat post and that is just because I love the Thomson seatposts and they are way lighter.
Old 01-31-16, 08:44 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Paul Touring Canti on the rear of my bike for another reason, the stock Tektro CR720 back there stuck out too far and didn't allow me full adjustments of my saddlebag. It solved that problem 100%.

Now, one thing that just came to my head is that you'll have a problem if you need to adjust the brakes and don't carry a 15mm wrench. You need that to adjust the tension properly. For a twenty spot, paul has a bottle opener with a 15mm wrench on it!!

Bottle Opener ? Paul Component Engineering

The other problem I almost had was with the pads. I have the pads mounted as high as possible...the slot they travel in did not have enough travel to get the pads on the rim (almost). If it would have had any lesser amount of travel they would not have worked (stock wheels 26" long Haul Trucker).

I am using these Koolstops:

Kool Stop "Mountain" Pads Dual Compound - Harris Cyclery bicycle shop - West Newton, Massachusetts

I used a credit card underneath the pad to get some toe-in. I read elsewhere that is not necessary with the Kool Stops that have the "rim wiper" on them, or whatever they call it. I also have the spacers on the pads set to where the pad hits the rims at 90*. I don't know how important that is, but if you mess around with that, have the other untouched pad to refer to. You can't fiddle with the two pieces on either side of the pad slot, they help with the tilting adjustment. the other spacers you can move.

I don't have any noise from the Paul brake or the CR720 on the front. On my rims I had to fiddle with the pads to get them lined up on the rims perfect. They are a wide and long pad. It's hard to say anything about the performance, they are no worse than the stock pads that came with my LHT. In my mind they stop better!

Last edited by jonc123; 01-31-16 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-31-16, 09:15 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paul brake prices are usually given for each brake. That would put the cost at about $260 for a set. is that still in the "bit over-budget" range? Just didn't know if you were aware of that.
Yeah, saw that. I was talking per-brake, so I'm solid. Thanks for looking out, though!
Old 01-31-16, 09:19 PM
SvenSurly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Paul makes some really awesome stuff that looks nice, works well and is made in 'merica. Plus Paul is a super nice dude. If I were buying cantis I would probably go with Paul Comp. If I was building up a super light cross bike I might go with the TRP Revo-X Crabons. Probably the only thing from Paul I wouldn't ever consider would be the Tall and Handsome seat post and that is just because I love the Thomson seatposts and they are way lighter.
Sounds like the consensus is Paul. And sounds like I'll be investing in that 15mm-wrench-plus-bottle-opener!
Old 01-31-16, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Sounds like the consensus is Paul. And sounds like I'll be investing in that 15mm-wrench-plus-bottle-opener!
You cannot really go wrong. If you wear cycling caps the Paul one is nice and has a solid brim (like a baseball cap) but can still be worn under a helmet.

I just wish Industry Nine still made the same old freehubs so Paul could continue making their 135 Cassette Rhubs but they changed the pattern slightly and it won't fit any of the old shells. I think their hubs are a nice alternative to Phil Wood but still high quality MUSA!
Old 01-31-16, 11:21 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
I would be hard pressed to spend more than this for a pair of canti brakes and a lot less than Paul's. TRP is really good stuff, used and abused by many cycle cross racers.

TRP ReVox Canitlever Brakes Front and Rear, Alloy Black/Black - Modern Bike
Old 02-01-16, 09:52 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have Tektro CR720 and Shimano CX-50 canti brakes on four bikes, including touring, sport touring and cross bikes. Both brakes function great and cost much less than $100 a set, but work much better if you replace the stock pads with KoolStop salmons. The Tektros can be bought for about $35/set but they do jut out a lot on the sides if that is an issue. The Shimanos are little more expensive but don't jut out as much.
Old 02-01-16, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
NB: you can buy the same brake from Velo Orange and get it polished shiny rather than TRP's Black ..

too bad you are locked in by Wanting Road Brifters ... Magura's Hydraulic Rim brakes are excellent

But Only make Straight Bar Levers ( they work fabulously on Trekking Handlebars )

My Prior 'Best' : Scott Pederson SE (self energizing) .. and before that, Mafac.
still have those bikes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-01-16 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 06:13 AM
meyers66

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up for Cane Creek SCX -5

I have experience with 2 brands of cantilever brakes, Cane Creek SCX -5 and Paul Touring and Retro. I have the Cane Creek brakes on 2 bikes and I have been happy with them. I run the Paul brakes on my CX bike, a Touring in the back and a Neo-Retro in the front. If I had it to do over again, I'd also run the Paul Touring in the front. However, it is not because of performance; the Neo-Retro performs very well. It is the shape that has cause me some issues in shipping the bike. One of the horizontal arms on the front brake was bent in shipment, and actually punched a hole in the shipping box. I really like the Paul brakes. They are easy to adjust and and have very smooth modulation. They are also very good at stopping.

I believe that all canti and v-brakes will work better with Kool Stop Salmon colored pads. Both the Cane Creek and the Paul brakes are high quality, and more than adequate for most situations.

Another vote for the Cane Creek SCX -5 cantis. They came stock on my Volpe and I haven't had any problems with them. The Kool stop salmon/black pads work fine. Make me think twice about a bike upgrade since I can't find one more than 25% better than the Volpe. By the way I paid $850 for it in 2007 and now the same basic bike goes for $1300 suggested retail. If that isn't an e.g. of inflation I don't know what is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.