Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh/Carlton Pro frame markings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-21, 07:53 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts

My primary winter project this year is to go through my bikes to service headsets and bottom brackets that have not been serviced in quite a while. At the least I can correct things I did not know about. At best I am assured that nothing needed to be done - peace of mind. The one in the que now is my 1976 Raleigh Pro. And I have a question for folks about the frame/fork markings. You'll see that the serial number shows the frame made in August of 1976, maybe one of the last MK IVs made prior to the September shutdown and retool for the Mk V. But above the serial number is stamped "036" and above that a T. You'll also see that the "036" is stamped on the steerer tube. Nice, but what is the 036 for? And any idea what the T is for. I've searched for Carlton CC bottom bracket shell photos and have not found these two markings anywhere. They sure look factory.

Can any one explain that the markings above the serial number are for? Or what they mean? Thanks.

Side notes: Steerer confirms that the fork was chromed to about half way up the tube then painted. There are also two red paint splotches on the tube, above the blue, but I've no idea what they are for. I've noticed them on other Carlton steerer photos too. And I'm reminded what an excellent bit of kit the Campagnolo headset is and how Carlton applied no grooves, slots or flats to the threaded portion of the tube. If you were using a Campagnolo HS they you must know what you're doing and don't need such assistance. Cool
Old 01-01-21, 08:52 AM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Just a guess but maybe the "T" on the bottom bracket means "tube" as in downtube.
Old 01-01-21, 09:52 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
no idea (sorry!), but I am intrigued that a Worksop bike has the frame matched to the fork. I had no idea that this was done. My International doesn't have it, but my Raleigh Team bike, made in Ilkeston, does.

I'm still a bit envious about the "CC" cutout.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-01-21, 10:28 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
no idea (sorry!), but I am intrigued that a Worksop bike has the frame matched to the fork. I had no idea that this was done. My International doesn't have it, but my Raleigh Team bike, made in Ilkeston, does.
How is your SBDU frame and fork matched? 3 digit number, like mine? Or some other markings?
Old 01-01-21, 10:38 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
How is your SBDU frame and fork matched? 3 digit number, like mine? Or some other markings?
The s/n uses a "SB" prefix and then 4 digits, and this is stamped on the BB shell. The frame size, in cm, is also stamped on the shell, but separate from the s/n.

The fork just has the 4 digits....

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-01-21, 10:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I have a 1977 Carlton frame but it is a Competition GS. It doesn’t have the “T” as yours does but on the top of the BB shell on the non drive side there is a stamped “&” next to the edge. I have not seen that on any other of these and they made quite a few of them . I bought it from the original owner and it had never been ridden or serviced anywhere since new. I am fairly certain it was there when it left the factory. I even started a thread on this forum about it and got no replies. Sometimes it may be some kind of internal identification mark for production purposes?