Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Steamroller alternatives

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Steamroller alternatives

Old 01-10-21, 05:51 PM
kidadam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Steamroller alternatives

Considering picking up a steamroller frame and doing a fresh fixed build. I値l likely ride the bike year round which includes snow and ice. Any other frames in the same range to consider?
Old 01-10-21, 06:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
I do like my Cinelli Mash Work a lot but I believe now they are calling it the Tutto Plus and looks like it has way more versatility which is kind of neat. I also really dig the All-City Super Professional it is also another high versatility frame. The Steamroller is a fine frame as well.
Old 01-11-21, 07:07 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
My suggestion is to check out All City's Big Block. I've never been disappointed in anything regarding mine.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-11-21, 08:08 AM
rhender 

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2; 1988 Cannondale SR500; 1992 Bridgestone XO-2

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The Mercier Kilo WT is basically an exact clone of the steamroller (according to specs it actually has a bit more tire clearance). I had one for a while and was happy with it.
Old 01-11-21, 12:35 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
+1 for All City Big Block, I was in similar boat sans snow & ice but wanted something with bigger tire clearance I could take into the dirt so true track frames wouldn't cut it (although All City's Thunderdome is indeed sexy as hell), figured if the "FG gravel" experiment didn't work then I'd still come out w a killer bike for pavement.

After a few months riding 80% gravel I can declare said experiment a success - takes anything I can throw at it (stuff I would not have been confident doing on my old Peugeot FG-conversion), quick and responsive but doesn't feel overly stiff, and the geometry has been perfect for my usual rides in the ~20mi range.

Have posted elsewhere but for the hell of it, this is the current state (will replace Zipp stem with Ride Farr "Headspace" stem whenever it gets here from Australia):
Likes For PIFFLE:
Old 01-12-21, 12:02 AM
acoustophile

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 59 Posts
Kilo wt, mash work, all city big block, squid so-ez. I had a steamroller but found the geometry and weight too sluggish. I replaced it with an Enforcer BD and it's honestly one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It's geared toward bike polo, but the combo of high bottom bracket, 40c clearance and tight geometry makes it one of the most responsive bikes I've ever ridden.

(ignore the cinelli stickers obv)
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 01-12-21, 06:56 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Stick with your initial instincts...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 01-12-21, 09:08 AM
duuuuuuuuuug

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PIFFLE
+1 for All City Big Block, I was in similar boat sans snow & ice but wanted something with bigger tire clearance I could take into the dirt so true track frames wouldn't cut it (although All City's Thunderdome is indeed sexy as hell), figured if the "FG gravel" experiment didn't work then I'd still come out w a killer bike for pavement.
Super-sick. I'm embarrassed to say I've never fully appreciated the Big Block frame before ... I guess I've been dazzled by All-City's paint jobs.

Originally Posted by IAmSam
Stick with your initial instincts...
Gotta agree with that. More options considered doesn't always mean a happier end result. However if you're looking for a hardy steel-frame SS frame, you might want to keep an eye out for an FBM Sword. There's two versions ... after 2010 they changed the geometry to have a much shorter top tube.
Old 01-12-21, 02:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by acoustophile
Kilo wt, mash work, all city big block, squid so-ez. I had a steamroller but found the geometry and weight too sluggish. I replaced it with an Enforcer BD and it's honestly one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It's geared toward bike polo, but the combo of high bottom bracket, 40c clearance and tight geometry makes it one of the most responsive bikes I've ever ridden.

(ignore the cinelli stickers obv)
Why would someone ignore the Cinelli stickers? That seems silly if you want a Cinelli get a Cinelli. At least though it doesn't seem like Enforcer is trying to make a knock-off they are doing their own thing and I kinda like it. Their prices are quite reasonable and if actually made of Reynolds 520 is a good deal for a handmade frame. Plus it looks like they have some fun which I like "Geo-Nardo DiCaprio", good stuff and a colab with BicyclePubes is a sign of the finest taste. Plus on the BD specifically the 44mm head tube means you can put a straight or tapered steerer tube fork and with 3 wheel sizes you can have quite a bit of fun with it.
Old 01-12-21, 08:45 PM
acoustophile

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Why would someone ignore the Cinelli stickers? That seems silly if you want a Cinelli get a Cinelli. At least though it doesn't seem like Enforcer is trying to make a knock-off they are doing their own thing and I kinda like it. Their prices are quite reasonable and if actually made of Reynolds 520 is a good deal for a handmade frame. Plus it looks like they have some fun which I like "Geo-Nardo DiCaprio", good stuff and a colab with BicyclePubes is a sign of the finest taste. Plus on the BD specifically the 44mm head tube means you can put a straight or tapered steerer tube fork and with 3 wheel sizes you can have quite a bit of fun with it.
Lol chill I just meant ignore the stickers and dont mistake me talking about an Enforcer and then posting a Cinelli.
Old 01-12-21, 09:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Lol chill I just meant ignore the stickers and dont mistake me talking about an Enforcer and then posting a Cinelli.
Very chill but curious why the Cinelli stickers if not a Cinelli? Why not be proud it is an Enforcer? If it is truly handmade in Peru that is well worth promoting and would be a bigger pride mark than a slightly more generic bike produced for Cinelli in Taiwan. Nothing against Cinelli or Taiwan or anything like that but I would be much prouder to have a brand like Enforcer which is a bit more "underground" than Cinelli on a non-Cinelli bike to make people think I might have a Cinelli when I actually kind of have something cooler. Heck at least have dreams you could have put some Bruce Gordon stickers or Albert Eisentraut and gotten more cool points
Old 01-12-21, 10:10 PM
acoustophile

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Very chill but curious why the Cinelli stickers if not a Cinelli? Why not be proud it is an Enforcer? If it is truly handmade in Peru that is well worth promoting and would be a bigger pride mark than a slightly more generic bike produced for Cinelli in Taiwan. Nothing against Cinelli or Taiwan or anything like that but I would be much prouder to have a brand like Enforcer which is a bit more "underground" than Cinelli on a non-Cinelli bike to make people think I might have a Cinelli when I actually kind of have something cooler. Heck at least have dreams you could have put some Bruce Gordon stickers or Albert Eisentraut and gotten more cool points
lmao what, i was promoting it as an enforcer idk what you're on about :/
Likes For acoustophile:
Old 01-13-21, 06:35 AM
IAmSam

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Too much hub-bub about it but Cinelli sticker might give you a clue...

Last edited by IAmSam; 01-13-21 at 06:40 AM.
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 01-13-21, 05:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

But you are also promoting as a Cinelli, hence the Cinelli sticker on it and nothing showing Enforcer. That is what I am on about. If I am passing through the forum and see that I see a Cinelli stickered bike not an Enforcer which again cool bike worth promoting. Cinelli doesn't need fake branding they are out there and known but I had no idea about Enforcer and now am glad to know them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-14-21, 12:21 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
For value, durability, tire width options, a cooler fork, and easy availability, I'd just go with the Surly. It's probably a little overbuilt, but I rode the wheels off mine in all kinds of conditions.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-17-21, 06:49 PM
kidadam

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks all - I値l stick with my intuition. Stay tuned for a classic build thread where ya値l can tell
me how to build it up.
Likes For kidadam:
Old 01-17-21, 07:31 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
thunder. wabi thunder.
Old 01-18-21, 01:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by kidadam
Thanks all - I値l stick with my intuition. Stay tuned for a classic build thread where ya値l can tell
me how to build it up.
Hey Kid, if you PM with budget-ish and intended direction I can create a build sheet for it.
Likes For veganbikes: