Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY mechanic's handlebar stabilizer ideas?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-30-21, 06:24 AM
el forestero

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane AL 3, 2019 Giant Escape RX Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I'm mulling over how to build my own handlebar stabilizer that will enable me to keep a bike's cockpit facing forward while the bike is in a workstand. I've seen a lot of ideas for handlebar stabilizers on the internet, including velcroing the front wheel to the frame, looping a bungie cord around the front and back wheels' valve stems and bending a coat hanger so it attaches to the frame and the handlebars.

One type of handlebar stabilizer I've used and found convenient is a telescoping rod with ties on the ends. The product in the photo below is just an example of how such a thing could be designed. Reviews I've read suggest none of the products of this type that are for sale on the web are all that durable, so DIY seems like the way to go. Anybody have ideas to share about how to build something like this? Or is there some other kind of device you've built to serve the same purpose?

Old 03-30-21, 07:28 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Looping through the wheel/round the down tube with a Gear Tie (or similar) as seen in this old thread, post #17: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...air-stand.html

works for me just fine.
Though oddly with the build I’m doing now I kinda forgot and used gravity (as someone else mentioned, if you have the front tilted down a bit, things just sort of work themselves out)!

I’d guess the advantage of the rigid type of setup like the Park, or the one you posted, would be that you can press on the bars with more force and things still stay straight?
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 03-30-21, 07:28 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I generally just tilt the bike down in the front so good old gravity holds the wheel/bars straight. We have a couple of the Park HBH-2s and I rarely use one. Andy
Old 03-30-21, 08:58 AM
el forestero

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Looping through the wheel/round the down tube with a Gear Tie (or similar) as seen in this old thread, post #17: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...air-stand.html
I’d guess the advantage of the rigid type of setup like the Park, or the one you posted, would be that you can press on the bars with more force and things still stay straight?
Those are good ideas, and that was a fun old thread that helped get my creative juices flowing. Thanks for the link.

I don't need a setup that's more rigid than a tie through the wheel, but I would like a setup that doesn't prevent the front wheel from spinning because I sometimes have to spin it to work on disc brake alignment and other issues.

And although tilting the front end down will be a great solution much of the time, I sometimes need to do a gravity bleed on a set of hydraulic disc brakes or handle other maintenance tasks that are best done with the front end level or tilted up.

So I'm still leaning toward designing some kind of DIY adjustable bar.
Likes For el forestero:
Old 03-30-21, 01:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
What's wrong with simply using a strap or bungie between the rim and the down tube?
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-30-21, 03:26 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
What's wrong with simply using a strap or bungie between the rim and the down tube?
Nothing. An old toe strap works, too.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 03-30-21, 03:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
deflate the front tire about 50%, tighten up the stem a little extra.
Old 03-30-21, 06:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
I've always thought this would be nice to have but never got around to getting one. Now I'm getting rid of tools, not buying more.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-30-21, 06:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
+1
I keep a few assorted bungies close by.
They can often be used as a "third hand" for various household projects other than bikes.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-30-21, 07:05 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Try spinning the front wheel to check brake clearances with a bungie through the spokes, it has a tendency to spin back at you without even going all the way around, Go figure. I totally get el forestero's plight because I have the same problem. I remove the front wheel to work on it and the handle bars flop to the side. I use my bike carrier on the back of my truck for a work stand so tilting the front down isn't an option. I was thinking maybe an adjustable duster rod with velcro hot glued on each end so it can go from the top tube to one side or the other of the handle bars.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 03-30-21, 07:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Tension-Cupbo...92742333&psc=1
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-30-21, 08:15 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Extra long toe clip strap for when working with headset/ 'bar/ frt brake, and DIY stabilizer from 1/4" round stock bend on a defunct frame seat tube for when needing to work with frt wheel free; it even works on slanted toptubes. Both were made in 2008 when I was really short on expendable budget and has worked fine since then. Both kept within reach on the workstand.

Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 03-31-21, 11:30 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
rope, 3 loops. one at each end for brake hoods, one in center. rope length so that center loop falls to proper position to meet bungee from seatpost. adjust for desired tension. old tubes work well for this, too.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-31-21, 02:44 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Years ago Trek made and sold a handlebar stabilizer similar in concept to the OP's photo which was sold under their "Wrench Force" name. It was two telescoping aluminum tubes, 1/2" OD outer, 3/8"OD inner, that adjusted in length from 20" to 35" and had a thumb screw to lock them at the desired length. There was an adjustable rubber strap at each end that went around the handlebar and the seat post to hold the front wheel and fork steady. I got one as part of a package deal with my "Wrench Force" repair stand (a relabeled Feedback Sports Elite) in the 1990's when Trek was discontinuing the Wrench Force product line.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-31-21, 06:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
rope, 3 loops. one at each end for brake hoods, one in center. rope length so that center loop falls to proper position to meet bungee from seatpost. adjust for desired tension. old tubes work well for this, too.
And no chance of scratching the paint--I like it. Will definitely try it out tomorrow.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 04-01-21, 10:04 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
For us visual learners, would love to see a photo if/when you get a chance.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 04-04-21, 06:51 AM
el forestero

Originally Posted by HillRider
Years ago Trek made and sold a handlebar stabilizer similar in concept to the OP's photo which was sold under their "Wrench Force" name. It was two telescoping aluminum tubes, 1/2" OD outer, 3/8"OD inner, that adjusted in length from 20" to 35" and had a thumb screw to lock them at the desired length. There was an adjustable rubber strap at each end that went around the handlebar and the seat post to hold the front wheel and fork steady. I got one as part of a package deal with my "Wrench Force" repair stand (a relabeled Feedback Sports Elite) in the 1990's when Trek was discontinuing the Wrench Force product line.
That pretty well describes what I've been planning on making. In a local hardware store I saw some rigid plastic-like acrylic tubes of about those dimensions that I'll use instead of aluminum.

Old 04-04-21, 07:20 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Just because some people are satisfied with tilting the bike forward or strapping the front wheel to the down tube doesn't mean everyone is. I've often found both methods lacking in certain situations. Several interesting alternate ideas shown/described here, thanks to all who posted them. Also thanks to el forestero for starting this thread, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-04-21, 08:09 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
I like the Park HBH-2 as mentioned above and Juan's very well done DIY version in post #12. Very easy to use/no adjusting necessary, small size for storing, hard to break and cheap.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-06-21, 10:51 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Here's a rope trick, as requested...

Handlebar retention.

installed
Total cost, like, ah, zero.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-07-21, 03:01 PM
Roadies_Rok

Bikes: Litespeed Arenberg Road Bike; Specialized Crossroads XC Pro

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
It's knows as a rubber band. it's also known as tipping the bike nose down in the stand.
Likes For Roadies_Rok: