Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tesla Center Touch Screen: Can't See Cyclist?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 04-13-21, 10:47 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts

The tailgating thread reminded me of a recent observation.

To go straight at a red light with a right-turn-only lane, I pulled in behind a Tesla; dunno model/year. I could see a big screen in the center console and it was showing animated cars moving around, but did not pick me up.

Does anyone know if that is normal or if I was just exceptionally stealthy that day?

I've thought it through and I don't think the answer will change my behavior any, but as machines replace human capabilities, I like to know what the machine's capabilities are.

Last edited by flangehead; 04-13-21 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Remove shards.
Old 04-13-21, 11:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
What I know is that the technology CAN pick you up. I don't have nearly enough information to say anything about the actual Tesla in question. Not all Tesla's are self driving. I'm not sure ANY are. They are driver ASSIST. Those back-up cameras to keep people from backing up over toddlers can't PREVENT a driver from doing it. They can show you what is behind you. Maybe even provide some kind of audible warning. They can't actually prevent the car from moving dangerously. You say the cars display showed cars MOVING around the stopped vehicle. Was that actually the case? Were you also moving? Why should it display you if you were not actually a moving hazard that the Tesla operator should know/care about?
Old 04-13-21, 11:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

To go straight at a red light with a right-turn-only lane, I pulled in behind a Tesla; dunno model/year. I could see a big screen in the center console and it was showing animated cars moving around, but did not pick me up.

Does anyone know if that is normal or if I was just exceptionally stealthy that day?

I've thought it through and I don't think the answer will change my behavior any, but as machines replace human capabilities, I like to know what the machine's capabilities are.
Just a guess, but perhaps the Tesla console display is designed to provide information to the driver, not passersby, and be viewed from the front seat by the driver (or front seat passenger) and not by people at a distance and location somewhere outside the car.
Old 04-13-21, 11:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts

I don't know about Tesla, but I've had a few Volvos that have collision avoidance that includes IDing people on bikes (see promo video). I've had the car auto brake for deer, but never a bike (I'm looking for the bike-folks out-and-about). The guy driving the car, he reaction at the end of the commercial is kinda mild ... I've let out some loud profanity when it's happened.

Old 04-13-21, 12:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just a guess, but perhaps the Tesla console display is designed to provide information to the driver, not passersby, and be viewed from the front seat by the driver (or front seat passenger) and not by people at a distance and location somewhere outside the car.
That wouldn't explain why he was able to see the animated cars from behind, so probably not a great guess.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-21, 12:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I'm wondering if the other vehicles have to be moving in order to show up?

I also wonder how much of a distraction it is to have something that looks like a 17" Macbook Pro screen open while driving?
Old 04-13-21, 12:56 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
... You say the cars display showed cars MOVING around the stopped vehicle. Was that actually the case? Were you also moving? Why should it display you if you were not actually a moving hazard that the Tesla operator should know/care about?
I was stopped about 5-10 feet behind and the big screen caught my attention. I'd never seen such a thing before. I remember seeing animated "cars" on the screen both moving and stopped (at various times) in the lanes to the right and left, and it was showing what I was seeing happen "in real life". It displayed no vehicle behind.

It may be that since I posed no threat to the Tesla or its operator, the machine chose to ignore my presence. That may be an oversight in the programming.. I would think that the potential for scratched paint or lower range due to dragging my body along under the car would be a potential hazard.
Old 04-13-21, 01:01 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
That wouldn't explain why he was able to see the animated cars from behind, so probably not a great guess.
Did the OP claim that he detected anything "picked up" on the driver's screen display about vehicles behind the Tesla, animated or not ? I must have missed that.

Of course we will just have to guess what the display was supposed to be displaying. Presumably nothing intended for bicyclists peeking inside. A driver planning on moving in a forward direction from a traffic signal has little need for an electronic display to see vehicles stopped directly behind; if he is curious about that, an old tech rear view mirror still should fill that need.
Old 04-13-21, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Did the OP claim that he detected anything "picked up" on the driver's screen display about vehicles behind the Tesla, animated or not ? I must have missed that.

Of course we will just have to guess what the display was supposed to be displaying. Presumably nothing intended for bicyclists peeking inside. A driver planning on moving in a forward direction from a traffic signal has little need for an electronic display to see vehicles stopped directly behind; if he is curious about that, an old tech rear view mirror still should fill that need.

OP wasn't asking for guesses, but I have seen video of Tesla screens that do show traffic behind the car. Maybe stick to educated guesses?
Old 04-13-21, 01:10 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

I also wonder how much of a distraction it is to have something that looks like a 17" Macbook Pro screen open while driving?
No more of a distraction than all the gauges, dials, and lights on your dashboard.
Old 04-13-21, 01:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It may be that since I posed no threat to the Tesla or its operator, the machine chose to ignore my presence. That may be an oversight in the programming.. I would think that the potential for scratched paint or lower range due to dragging my body along under the car would be a potential hazard.
Or it may not be an oversight in the programming for vehicles with the transmission set for forward direction (ie. not in reverse.) Displaying vehicles that are stopped behind on a screen is not likely to ever reduce the alleged "potential for scratched paint" or change the alleged "potential hazard" for a bicyclist somehow getting dragging forward under the Tesla as the Tesla proceeds forward from the traffic signal.
Old 04-13-21, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Or it may not be an oversight in the programming for vehicles with the transmission set for forward direction (ie. not in reverse.) Displaying vehicles that are stopped behind on a screen is not likely to ever reduce the alleged "potential for scratched paint" or change the alleged "potential hazard" for a bicyclist somehow getting dragging forward under the Tesla as the Tesla proceeds forward from the traffic signal.
Right, there has to be some selection in what items are shown and what aren't.

There's definitely a potential question of information overload and I'm wondering if anyone reading this thread actually has seen one of these screens in operation.
Old 04-13-21, 03:57 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
I was stopped about 5-10 feet behind and the big screen caught my attention. I'd never seen such a thing before. I remember seeing animated "cars" on the screen both moving and stopped (at various times) in the lanes to the right and left, and it was showing what I was seeing happen "in real life". It displayed no vehicle behind.
Why would it?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-13-21, 04:02 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The Tesla bicycle visibility software upgrade costs an extra $2000. Not everyone cares about bicycle visibility, so no need to pay for something you're not going to use.

/s
Old 04-14-21, 06:31 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

It is a guess ... but I use the Garmin Varia (radar), it doesn't report vehicles that are stopped, moving at the same pace, or going in the other direction. Garmin set it up to only report overtaking vehicles.

It seems logical that Tesla (while in drive) wouldn't need to report a stationary vehicle behind it.

There's gotta be at least one Tesla drivers in BF ... right?
Old 04-21-21, 02:33 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Why would it?
They are approaching the vehicle, and could become involved with the actions the vehicle or driver has to take. I typically use rear view mirrors to stay aware of vehicles approaching from behind... this is especially important if I plan on changing lanes.

Granted ,there are countries that teach a form of "organic" driving, that excludes those behind you... but then they also tend to avoid using turn signals for lane changes too...
Old 04-21-21, 02:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
They are approaching the vehicle, and could become involved with the actions the vehicle or driver has to take. I typically use rear view mirrors to stay aware of vehicles approaching from behind... this is especially important if I plan on changing lanes.
Already answered ...
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
It seems logical that Tesla (while in drive) wouldn't need to report a stationary vehicle behind it.
Old 04-21-21, 04:41 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
already answered ...[twice]...
it may be that since i posed no threat to the tesla or its operator, the machine chose to ignore my presence. That may be an oversight in the programming.. I would think that the potential for scratched paint or lower range due to dragging my body along under the car would be a potential hazard.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by i-like-to-bike
or it may not be an oversight in the programming for vehicles with the transmission set for forward direction (ie. Not in reverse.) displaying vehicles that are stopped behind on a screen is not likely to ever reduce the alleged "potential for scratched paint" or change the alleged "potential hazard" for a bicyclist somehow getting dragging forward under the tesla as the tesla proceeds forward from the traffic signal.
Old 04-21-21, 05:50 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
As a retired automotive professional (regional troubleshooter / instructor for an import car manufacturer) I've had quite a bit of experience with driver assist systems.
I can tell you this: NONE of them are foolproof. Camera based systems sometimes have trouble identifying things like cyclists, or even stationary poles. The "self driving car" is a myth with current technology and road systems / conditions.
Old 04-22-21, 05:24 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OP wasn't asking for guesses, but I have seen video of Tesla screens that do show traffic behind the car. Maybe stick to educated guesses?
Why?
The thread was started by someone guessing at what they may have seen; on a small screen at a distance through the rear of a vehicle.
Nothing educated about your response or the entire OP so no reason to start now.
Old 04-22-21, 07:10 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
The guy driving the car, he reaction at the end of the commercial is kinda mild ... I've let out some loud profanity when it's happened.

https://youtu.be/5nfT9dfPi7g
I can't speak of your incident(s) but the guy driving in the video failed. He should have noticed the dislodged grate and anticipated that the cyclist would want to avoid it. Cyclist failed too. Should have positioned himself to avoid it much sooner in a safe manner. Surely it's folly to count on these auto detection systems (as a driver or cyclist) but maybe they can help reduce some crashes.
Old 04-22-21, 07:36 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Depends somewhat on the age of the Tesla. More recent models have more capable computers. The image recognition on my son’s model 3 is very good and constantly being upgraded every few weeks. The cameras pick up traffic cones, pedestrians, cyclists and can read signs. It’s not perfect but with the number of Tesla’s on the road they’re able to collect massive amounts of information used to train the neural networks used to control the car.

The training of the car is selective in that they will collect relevant information for a particular feature like figuring out how to identify traffic cones. The sensors in the front of the car are more sophisticated and the information more important so it’s not surprising they don’t identify items behind the car as well as things in front. I doubt it attempts to read signs behind it and cyclists or pedestrians behind the vehicle aren’t important when driving forwards.
Old 04-22-21, 07:52 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I can't speak of your incident(s) but the guy driving in the video failed. He should have noticed the dislodged grate and anticipated that the cyclist would want to avoid it. Cyclist failed too. Should have positioned himself to avoid it much sooner in a safe manner. Surely it's folly to count on these auto detection systems (as a driver or cyclist) but maybe they can help reduce some crashes.
For me, my near collision was a deer at dawn (same thing has happened with a deer for Frau Toad too) ... the deer crossing in front of the vehicle, because of low light I didn't see it coming, and based on past experience, I'd have hit the deer, but the Volvo auto-braking 'sees' the deer and stops the vehicle violently to avoid the collision. In the vehicle, you feel the full force of your seatbelt keeping you from slamming into the dashboard, and alarms go off too. Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't destroy my undies!

To the Volvo promo video, I'd say the marketers did their best to create an 'unexpected' situation that neither the person driving or biking would expect. In the marketing video, I don't know that the person driving should have known there was a obstacle in the road, from the driver's seat, you likely wouldn't see the cover is off. Based on my days driving a commercial vehicle, there are no accidences, only crashes. All road users need to look for the unexpected. That said, I don't think I've ever had a person driving anticipate an obstacle in my way while I'm biking. While biking (or driving), I need to know what's in my path, and what's coming up behind me. If I'm riding and get surprised like by an obstacle in my path, I'll slow or stop until I know I can safely get around it ... BTW, I'd do the same thing if I'm driving my car too.

I agree, never trust the tech! Our car offers many of the Tesla-type of tech, it helps me, but I'm still 100% responsible for my vehicle. And like you, I hope this tech can help us reduce collisions and deaths/injuries.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 04-22-21, 08:09 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
For me, my near collision was a deer at dawn (same thing has happened with a deer for Frau Toad too) ... the deer crossing in front of the vehicle, because of low light I didn't see it coming, and based on past experience, I'd have hit the deer, but the Volvo auto-braking 'sees' the deer and stops the vehicle violently to avoid the collision. In the vehicle, you feel the full force of your seatbelt keeping you from slamming into the dashboard, and alarms go off too. Frankly, I'm surprised I didn't destroy my undies!
Wow, that's a truly impressive account of what these systems can do! Thanks for posting.

My one deer incident while driving happened 20 or so years ago, so no avoidance systems. I was on the highway exit ramp early in the morning on my way to work, probably still traveling 35-40 mph. Before I even realized I saw the deer, the incident was over. I had instinctively braked, was now traveling about 10 mph, and the deer was up and running away with no apparent injury. Zero damage to my car. The bumper had what looked like sweat on it.

Thankfully, even though I see them often, I've not had a deer incident while on the bike. But I do ride early mornings when it is still dark out, so I'm extra attentive. Especially when riding downhill, where I will limit my speed. If I ever do crash into one, I certainly don't want it to be at 30+ mph!
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 04-22-21, 08:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

IDK ... but this story seems to belong in this thread: Police Ask Tesla To Drive In Straight Line, Recite Alphabet Backwards After Vehicle Crashes Into Tree
Likes For Hypno Toad: