Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What cables to use with GRX

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-20-21, 12:41 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts

Does anyone know which shift cables is recommended for GRX? I’m running GRX 810 brifters with an RX 810 front and rear derailer. I’m using the Shimano Polymer coated cables on my Ultegra and Dura Ace equipped bikes and am inclined to use the same unless it is not advised.

thanks in advance
Old 06-20-21, 02:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Their suggestion in the specs is polymer coated cable.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-RX810-R.html

Did you buy these used or are changing out worn cables? Usually a set of Shimano shifters comes with the needed cables.
Old 06-20-21, 04:48 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Originally Posted by Iride01
Their suggestion in the specs is polymer coated cable.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-RX810-R.html

Did you buy these used or are changing out worn cables? Usually a set of Shimano shifters comes with the needed cables.
Thanks! I couldn’t seem to find that. Although my GRX equipped bike is still fairly new I am planning to buy a set to have on hand for when it is time to replace them.
Old 06-20-21, 04:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you have the bike and they used Shimano cables, then likely the model of the cable is written on the side of the housings somewhere.

If you buy your cables now, then you'll miss out on whatever the latest greatest new technology is when you finally need to replace your original cables. But I only ride road, so maybe being in the mud and grime you should keep a spare set.
Old 06-20-21, 05:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Thanks! I couldn’t seem to find that. Although my GRX equipped bike is still fairly new I am planning to buy a set to have on hand for when it is time to replace them.
Don't just buy cables, that doesn't do you any good. If you're replacing them because it's been a year or whatever ALWAYS do the housing as well. The inside of the housing is where the wear takes place. The outside of cables don't 'wear'...they do fatigue inside the shifter but that has no effect on shifting until they actually start to fray. If you just run new cables in old housing you're not going to notice much improvement if any.
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have the bike and they used Shimano cables, then likely the model of the cable is written on the side of the housings somewhere.

If you buy your cables now, then you'll miss out on whatever the latest greatest new technology is when you finally need to replace your original cables. But I only ride road, so maybe being in the mud and grime you should keep a spare set.
No, the model/type of housing is written on the housing, not what cable is inside of the housing. GRX comes w/ Shimano Optislick cables. You can replace them any cable you want to use. Shimano, SRAM, Jagwire...it doesn't matter.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 06-20-21, 06:31 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
That's not a bad idea, I'd recommend being proactive and changing the cables way more frequently than you are accustomed to. These new shifters eat cables; my first cable lasted about 6 months before shifting started to feel off, then it felt like a bent derailleur hanger and then: snap in the middle of a ride. I'm running Optislick cables FWIW.

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 06-22-21, 03:19 AM
Ghazmh

Thanks all for the replies.