Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Do You Prefer - "As Found" or "Restored"..?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-28-21, 03:36 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts

Oops - please move this to Classic and Vintage (old age, gotta not love it)

I was just looking at a listing on Bike Forums For Sale and paid attention to a nice old Bianchi at a decent price. I actually considered tossing my hat into the ring and, suddenly, an epiphany...

I really do not want a lovely ready to go restored bike. I love doing the work myself! Now don't get me wrong, I do not dislike my Marinoni which came to me looking just like this, although I did add handlebar tape and new/larger tires, not to mention my SPD pedals. Other than that, the bike is "as found" and I love riding it...

As found...

Last ride...

The old Torpado that I restored came to me in "as found" condition and a condition that could only be called "poor"...

But the restoration process, which set me back a few hundred bucks, was great! To put it mildly, I totally prefer my Torpado when compared to the Marinoni...

My Rabeneick came to me as a frame/fork set and, once again, it is a much favored bicycle, perhaps my favorite in my little collection. Again, it consumed several hundred dollars to restore but I was totally absorbed by the rewarding experience...

All that said, how do you guys and gals feel about "as found" compared to restored it myself?

I should add, that when I used to sell a lot on Ebay, I consistently got more for a frame/fork set than I did for a complete bike. Not sure that that is the case anymore, though.

Last edited by randyjawa; 06-28-21 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 03:54 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,711 Times in 1,393 Posts
I go both ways. Why limit yourself.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-28-21, 04:41 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I go both ways. Why limit yourself.
Same here. I have four Schwinns that are mostly original, at least to the extent as received, and then I have two Schwinns that I modified.
Old 06-28-21, 08:29 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 200 Posts
I love restoring a bike, then I get tired of doing that and love finding a bike that needs nothing, then I decide I love restoring a bike, then I get tired of that…and so on.
Likes For alexihnen:
Old 06-28-21, 11:51 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Resprays and RUST!

Paint can hide a multitude of sins!

I only have maybe 2 bikes in my collection that I've acquired as resprays. The rest (N = Don't Ask) are in decent to excellent condition.

I HATE RUST!
I worked in a steel for a while in the 60's. I can smell rust, I can taste rust!

That said, I only have one bike in the herd with any rust and that's a 1971 Raleigh Competition that I bought as a gravel grinder. It's got an area under the drive side top tube with severe surface rust.

From 10 feet away it's not visible.... if you squint your eyes! hahaha The ride and handling make up for the rust.

Getting back to the topic, about 60% of my bikes I got as bare frames and built them up with either original or period correct or with components that I like for their performance.

My favorite rides have some patina. I don't worry about them getting dirty or scratched whereas the pretty ones never get ridden.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Likes For verktyg:
Old 06-29-21, 02:15 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I like patina. Probably a carry-over from all the carshows growing up in the Rustbelt. Cosmetically crunchy, but mechanically far from original. That's my MO.

That being said, I have a few bikes that are just too nice for me to ride. On any given ride, I may cut through gravel, single-track, railroad beds, or even city streets to make loops in my area. Some of my vintage 70s and 80s road bikes are just too well preserved for some of my tomfoolery.
Old 06-29-21, 02:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
I'll take em however they come, price, want, need, proximity and many other factors, etc. swirling in the mix.

I often apply the "Pa*****o" rubric, going round and round with myself a few times to see if one or more of the more important factors pile up to trip the buy "trigger".

Looks like the sensor didn't like the Japanese slot machine reference.

Last edited by merziac; 06-29-21 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-29-21, 03:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I like 'As Found', because I buy them for the project as much as to have them to ride after. But I want to have as many original bits as possible, even if I end up not using all of them. The Lotus Classique I just finished up had original everything, right down to the bar tape and tires, from when it was new in 1982. Every original piece I removed, apart from disposables like cable housing, has gone into a box to keep in case I sell it. I replaced the seatpost with one long enough for me, and the saddle with one that wasn't designed by Torquemada, but I kept them, too.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-29-21, 04:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
I should have elaborated more on my deal. I really do like as found when they are truly needing a complete overhaul with deep clean to unearth a gem.

I don't want anyone to have been into it soon at all before I get my hands on it.
Old 06-29-21, 05:03 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
I like "as found" in original paint and decals. I dislike repainted bicycle frames, even when the work is done well. I prefer the remnants of original decals to replacement decals.
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 06-29-21, 05:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,032 Times in 1,245 Posts
Why is this in the sales thread??
Old 06-29-21, 11:58 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
There are 50 shades of gray in that vague, expectation-laden term "restored."

What constitutes "restored?" Many consider "restored" to be anything brought back to a "like new" state, thus, within that expectation is "repainted and rechromed." Yet, "restored" could also apply to an all-original object that has been cleaned, polished, and removed of years of grime, yet still carries an otherwise untouched original finish and patina of a varying degree.

Would that object be "restored" or "refurbished?" As a personal preference, I prefer the latter in regards to the term and the non-destructive approach to originality, but I would hazard a guess that not everyone will agree with that. Plus there's the chances of a very rough outlier that does warrant a repaint when all else simply can't bring it to a palatable state.

That said, here's a perfect example to throw the expectations of the term restoration into a tailspin: This 1952 Raleigh Sports has been completely disassembled, straightened, polished, repacked, reassembled, and OA-bathed (parts only, not frame). The aim is obviously to get it to look it's absolute best, but it still carries patina - the rims especially - and the frameset isn't perfect either. Just the same, I'd argue that any attempt to reach originality with this same bike through a "complete restoration" (e.g., rechrome/repaint for absolute perfection) would entirely ruin it by virtue of achieving results that don't look original.

So Is it "restored" or not?

BEFORE:

AFTER (in progress):

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-30-21 at 12:02 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 06-30-21, 01:16 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Refurbnished... One Man's Dream, Another's Nitemare!

Originally Posted by cudak888

What constitutes "restored?" Many consider "restored" to be anything brought back to a "like new" state, thus, within that expectation is "repainted and rechromed." Yet, "restored" could also apply to an all-original object that has been cleaned, polished, and removed of years of grime, yet still carries an otherwise untouched original finish and patina of a varying degree.

-Kurt
Kurt,

eBay Listing Description: "Raleigh Competition , early 70's Reynolds 531, Upgraded & Rebuilt!"

I took the seller at their word and further descriptions that "EVERYTHING" had been gone over and "REBUILT". I figured I could go over a few things, make some component changes and it would be ready to ride in CA L'Eroica and gravel grinding. WRONG!

The only things that I didn't have to rebuild or replace to get the bike rideable were the wheels/hubs and the cartridge BB!

For example: Alloy seatpost

All of the cables and housing had to be replaced plus the headset, the FD, the FW, the RD had to be rebuilt, and so on.

Finished bike - everything works like new and the ride and handling are great.

So much for Upgraded & Rebuilt!

To be fair, the seller sent me a substantial refund and I have a bike that does what I bought it for.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 06-30-21, 06:22 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I don't think I've ever purchased a bike that didn't need a total rebuild except a trek 7.1 hybrid. I guess that's not C&V. I don't ride them until I have gone over every nut and bolt and turned them to my satisfaction.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 06-30-21, 06:27 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I don't think I've ever purchased a bike that didn't need a total rebuild except a trek 7.1 hybrid. I guess that's not C&V. I don't ride them until I have gone over every nut and bolt and turned them to my satisfaction.
I rebuild the bikes I buy as well. You never know what work, if any, was done by the PO.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-30-21, 06:30 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by verktyg
Kurt,

eBay Listing Description: "Raleigh Competition , early 70's Reynolds 531, Upgraded & Rebuilt!"

I took the seller at their word...
eBay descriptions don't apply here. Second only to the land of Craigslist and OfferUp hyperbole and outright dishonesty.

Mistake #2 is taking any seller at their word.

-Kurt

Old 06-30-21, 06:30 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Why is this in the sales thread??
I’m guessing Randy has created NFTs for those images. Watch out—the bill is in the mail!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 06-30-21, 07:49 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 253 Posts
I think I'm with Randy. I prefer a "good" as found bike, but it all depends on what I found. A basket with some, but not all the original components along with a frame and fork taken down to bare metal can become a rare beauty but it will take a lot of time and effort to get there. Don
Old 06-30-21, 07:57 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 835 Times in 363 Posts
To me bikes are tools. I ride 'em,. I like to buy frames and build them to ride. I like old steel, because it is pretty. But, I don't restore. If there are paint chips, the most I'll do is touch-up work.
Old 06-30-21, 07:59 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
My name may give away my opinion BUT if a bike, like my ~1955 Bianchi, is missing half of its paint that is the tipping point. Strip it down for a refinish. Since a freshly refinished frame looks terrible with rusty components I may as well go full tilt and make everything is shiny.

If a bike has a patina, not massive corrosion, all of the mechanical bits will get some loving which usually means lube/grease, new bearings, new cables, new tires/tubes, new chain and anything else that makes it safe and functional. If it is cosmetically challenged but structurally sound, I’m fine with that.

Finally, if there is stuff I think is in poor taste (i.e. Planet Bike fenders or camo bar wrap) I toss it.

My 2 cents…
Old 06-30-21, 08:01 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888

Would that object be "restored" or "refurbished?" As a personal preference, I prefer the latter in regards to the term and the non-destructive approach to originality, but I would hazard a guess that not everyone will agree with that. Plus there's the chances of a very rough outlier that does warrant a repaint when all else simply can't bring it to a palatable state.

That said, here's a perfect example to throw the expectations of the term restoration into a tailspin: This 1952 Raleigh Sports has been completely disassembled, straightened, polished, repacked, reassembled, and OA-bathed (parts only, not frame). The aim is obviously to get it to look it's absolute best, but it still carries patina - the rims especially - and the frameset isn't perfect either. Just the same, I'd argue that any attempt to reach originality with this same bike through a "complete restoration" (e.g., rechrome/repaint for absolute perfection) would entirely ruin it by virtue of achieving results that don't look original.

So Is it "restored" or not?

BEFORE:

AFTER (in progress):

-Kurt
Recently Serviced.
but where are the pedals?
Old 06-30-21, 08:21 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by repechage
Recently Serviced.
"Recently serviced?" I interpret that as "went to the bike shop, got a tune up." This ain't it.

I don't know of any bike shop that'll disassemble a 68 year old bike, spend hours cleaning oxidation off, put it back together again, and call it "recently serviced." If that were the case, we'd be out of a hobby

Originally Posted by repechage
but where are the pedals?
Note "AFTER: (in progress)."

-Kurt

Old 06-30-21, 09:01 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
I used to take 'em however I found them, but that has changed.

If I can determine that the bike is all original and pretty much unmolested, I would probably buy it. Take it apart, change out bearings, check the races, add new grease, replace consumables, good to go.

"Restored" and "refurbished" seems to be open to very broad interpretation, as has already been discussed. It seems to me that bike "mechanics," or at least those who think of themselves as mechanics, are often pragmatists: if it works, or at least appears to work, go with it. Case in point: the Liberia I recently purchased had a replacement seat post, probably a generic Kalloy, which was cut down so that the portion that indicated the size was gone. Re-inserting the seat post (with grease this time!) was leaving fine aluminum shavings at the opening, to me indicating that it was probably the wrong size. I emailed the seller and asked him about the seat post size, to which he replied:

The seatposts I often use are a modern product with a simple, vintage look, but come rather long so that they work in mountain bikes and road frames with a sloping top tube. I will cut them down a few inches, and I guess I lopped off the info for which you were looking, sorry.

I started collecting parts for this build back in November, and I was working on a few different bikes back then, so I'm not sure which order was what diameter. I seem to remember installing an old 27.2 post in the Liberia so that I could work on the bicycle until the new post arrived, but I'm not positive.
Hmmm. I don't know about you, but I'm thinking a 1973 Liberia (French bike!) with three tubes of Reynolds 531 does NOT use a 27.2mm seat post! This is from a guy that bills himself as a "professional bike restorer/refurbisher/mechanic." If that's even the size he used, which he is unsure of! Also, the headset was loose!

I'm a horrible mechanic, so the closer to OEM, the better. I can work with that, as long as the seat post and stem are not seized up.

I tell you, sometimes it's enough to make me want to just go out and buy a new bike, except I hate the new stuff. Which is why my next bike will probably be a new "modern classic," probably custom built.
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 06-30-21, 11:24 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I am aligned with the way randyjawa described it: part of the enjoyment of the hobby is the hands on work one does, and a bike that comes to you perfect (either new or beautifully maintained) is still fun but somehow not quite as fun as taking something less than stellar and doing work to bring it to some level of "okness". I had one bike that had been cosmetically ruined so felt no problem in stripping and repainting, and I learned tons about the process. Another was cosmetically challenged and I left it alone for quite some time before realizing the challenges were bothering me, so it also got the full strip and repaint/redecal treatment. However most of the other bikes I have are either in "as found state" (but still completely gone over for tires/cables/lubricants etc) or minimally upgraded (new rims, component swaps etc). I really enjoy doing the work (and trying to do it well) and then riding the result.....more than solely the riding.
Old 06-30-21, 11:39 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I don't think I've ever purchased a bike that didn't need a total rebuild...
I have, on probably more than one occasion. But you never know that until you disassemble everything. I remember one bike's Record hubs we're absolutely perfect with beautiful Campy grease inside. After I rebuilt both, I was thinking, was this made better off?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.