Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Galmozzi age and info

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Galmozzi age and info

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 07:36 AM
mikelelumino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Galmozzi age and info

Hello. Am new to this forum, but hoping you can help me find out information about this Galmozzi I have recently bought. I think it has already been resprayed. I want to restore it with as original as possible running gear and original colour etc. Need to know more about how old the bike is and what it would have looked like originally. Can anyone help? Any information gratefully received.
I'm not intending to become a pro-cyclist, but am starting to do more cycling following a minor knee op last year. Want to create something comfortable and classic that I can use regularly.
Thanks
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0248.jpg (97.9 KB, 148 views)
IMG_0249.jpg (97.2 KB, 169 views)
IMG_0250.jpg (96.8 KB, 147 views)
IMG_0251.jpg (96.4 KB, 146 views)
galmozzi1.jpg (95.1 KB, 159 views)
Old 03-16-11, 07:59 AM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting bike. Are you sure it is a Galmozzi? Bike forum user Citoyen du Monde knows much more about Galmozzis than I. I know their bikes from the 50's and 60's had slotted lugs and fork crowns. I'm confused by your lugs, which are different from what I have seen.

Example 1: https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...own+2.JPG.html

Example 2:

More examples: https://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/Galmozzi.htm

Is the head tube (the tubing itself) stamped Galmozzi?

Last edited by gridplan; 03-16-11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added a URL
Old 03-16-11, 10:04 AM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
That is a nice bicycle. The lug windows are cut like a Galmozzi or Ideor Assos, but I don't think you can go just by that. As Gridplan mentioned, Galmozzi's are usually stamped as such on the head-tube. But this may be under the re-paint on your bike.

Looks like a late 50's or early 60's frame, and definitely worth putting some effort into. If you are just going to use it as a rider you might want to leave the paint alone. It has some charm as-is. If you strip it, it would really have to be restored as original (if you can determine what original is) to benefit. And that may far more costly than what you have in mind.

Post some more pics, close up of the seat-lug, drop-outs, etc.
Old 03-16-11, 10:09 AM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Otis and Gridplan.
Once I've worked out where those parts are (I have much to learn) I'll post the photos.
Many thanks for the replies though. Much appreciated.
Don't mind spending money if the frame is 'worth it'. I like beautiful/ classic things.

Michael
Old 03-16-11, 10:16 AM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi again. Looks like I can't post a message directly to Citoyen du Monde. Would either of you be able to forward this thread query to him? Will take more photos this evening.
Thanks again.
Michael
Old 03-16-11, 10:34 AM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I sent Citoyen a link to this thread at his personal email.
Old 03-16-11, 12:29 PM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Michael
Old 03-16-11, 12:39 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I believe that Gridplan is correct and that there is nothing here to state categorically that it is a Galmozzi. In fact I would tend to believe it is NOT a Galmozzi

BTW, If you speak Italian, I can put you in touch with Angelo Galmozzi for a certain identification
Old 03-16-11, 02:06 PM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Si parlo Italiano poco.
Please will you put me in touch with Angelo.
Other photos of the bike are here:
www.retrospectivecycles.com/galmozzi

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-11, 02:39 PM
Picchio Special

Bikes: '39 Hobbs, '58 Marastoni, '73 Italian custom, '75 Wizard, '76 Wilier, '78 Tom Kellogg, '79 Colnago Super, '79 Sachs, '81 Masi Prestige, '82 Cuevas, '83 Picchio Special, '84 Murray-Serotta, '85 Trek 170, '89 Bianchi, '90 Bill Holland, '94 Grandis

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thread just makes me sad I didn't jump at a certain Galmozzi that now lives outside the US.
Old 03-16-11, 03:35 PM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do any of you guys know of a bike maker called Messori from Modena? If the bike proves to be non-Galmozzi and the vendor takes it back then that is another option I have. Just want a great steel frame bike around 55cm. Not asking so much...
Old 03-16-11, 06:04 PM
Citoyen du Monde

Originally Posted by mikelelumino
Do any of you guys know of a bike maker called Messori from Modena? If the bike proves to be non-Galmozzi and the vendor takes it back then that is another option I have. Just want a great steel frame bike around 55cm. Not asking so much...
Mike, I am confused here. Why would you buy something and engender packing and shipping costs all around if you have not first studied up on what you are buying? Then if it eventually turns out like I expect that the bike is not a Glamozzi, why would this automatically rule it out as being a good bike? Have you ridden the bike? Buying a vintage bike in reasonably good nick from the 60's at £250 is a very good price, whether it is a Glamozzi or some other brand. Before you start worrying about the brand name or other such nonsense, try the bike out. If the bike is a real dog and you can then confirm that it is indeed not a Galmozzi, I suppose you could then make a case for false advertising, but one could likewise state that your purchase was not in good faith as you willingly bought a bike knowing that it was not labelled with the Galmozzi name.

I know Messori and he is a respected builder. Can I or anybody else say that based upon a few photos alone that his bikes are better than the one you have already purchased? Absolutely not!
Old 03-17-11, 06:42 AM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response and I understand your points.
I guess I basically trust people and thought it was worth a risk at £250. I was sold on the idea of having a Galmozzi with the very limited research I did: emotional human response. The problem I have is that it will cost £x to get the bike into some kind of riding condition. If it turns out to be a dog then that is a waste of time and money.
The response I have from the vendor this morning:
I’m afraid your source is wrong there is no mistake in it being a Galmozzi because of the fork tube lugs , no one else did them like this , is Angelo Galmozzi a relative of the cycle maker ?does he still make the cycle’s? if so ,I’d be glad about that because , he should know and confirm what I’m saying . I’ve had two galmozzi ‘s they were not very common in this country if in fact there would have only been private imports so not many UK enthusiasts could say they know for sure , note also this Galmozzi is a small sized model and the fork lugs slots do not meet at top and bottom for this reason .
I will get in touch with Angelo Galmozzi and see what he says and take it from there.
Is there anyway of telling if this is a good frame or not without riding it?
best wishes. Mike
Old 03-17-11, 07:38 AM
gridplan
Veni, Vidi, Bici

Bikes: Colnagos (2005 Brera Art, 2007 President LdV, 2007 CF6)

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelelumino
Thanks for the response and I understand your points.
I guess I basically trust people and thought it was worth a risk at £250. I was sold on the idea of having a Galmozzi with the very limited research I did: emotional human response. The problem I have is that it will cost £x to get the bike into some kind of riding condition. If it turns out to be a dog then that is a waste of time and money.
The response I have from the vendor this morning:
I’m afraid your source is wrong there is no mistake in it being a Galmozzi because of the fork tube lugs , no one else did them like this , is Angelo Galmozzi a relative of the cycle maker ?does he still make the cycle’s? if so ,I’d be glad about that because , he should know and confirm what I’m saying . I’ve had two galmozzi ‘s they were not very common in this country if in fact there would have only been private imports so not many UK enthusiasts could say they know for sure , note also this Galmozzi is a small sized model and the fork lugs slots do not meet at top and bottom for this reason .
I will get in touch with Angelo Galmozzi and see what he says and take it from there.
Is there anyway of telling if this is a good frame or not without riding it?
best wishes. Mike
The guy is wrong if he thinks Galmozzi is the only one to do "fork tube lugs" (fork crowns?) like that. Like Otis mentioned, Ideor Asso did the same thing. You might point that out to him. [Pics]
Old 03-17-11, 02:52 PM
Citoyen du Monde

The vendor is absolutely full of it. He does not know what he is talking about. Angelo Galmozzi and his father were the "Galmozzi" behind the name. Angelo would have been responsible for this bike if it was indeed produced by Galmozzi.

As you already know because I have supplied you with his contact details, I have spoken to Angelo many times. I have also had many Galmozzi bikes go through my hands, including smaller frames than the one we are discussing here and none of them had the "cuts" in the head lugs like this bike. All had a single "cut" mark with the hole in the center. Angelo has furthermore explained to me how these "cuts" were achieved. He said that he and his father used lugs that had higher than normal band heights which allowed them to make a transversal cut and then drill a hole. This was all before they started getting "custom" lugs made for them with these features already pre-fabricated. Angelo also explained how a number of builders copied this common trait of his frames and that this is precisely the reason that in subsequent years, Angelo insisted that the head tubes of his frames carry a stamp showing their honest origin in his workshop. See here : https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...rking.jpg.html

BTW, if you do get in touch with Angelo be prepared for a long telephone call as he is very talkative.

As regards the quality of the ride of any bike, be it a Galmozzi or any other bike, it is never guaranteed. Riding it is one of the only ways to be sure.

Last edited by Citoyen du Monde; 03-17-11 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-18-11, 03:01 AM
mikelelumino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate the knowledge and advice. Many thanks yet again.
Michael
Old 07-02-21, 03:45 AM
chubby1625

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Gents,

I am new here, I like to add a Galmozzi to my small collection, can anyone help with how I can identify a Galmozzi. Thank you.
Old 07-02-21, 03:50 AM
chubby1625

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Gents,

How can I identify a Galmozzi, any obvious design cues? Thank you.
Old 07-02-21, 02:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by chubby1625
Hello Gents,

Welcome aboard, glad you found us, you're in the right place.

This is a great thread, I encourage you to dig in to it, lots of good info here.

Deep dive here and google BF Galmozzi for a shortcut.

We often talk about "elbow grease" being required to clean and polish C+V bikes to unearth gems underneath the grime of years of sitting unloved.

Same applies to information deep dives, time, energy and effort is the only way to get there.
Old 07-02-21, 03:05 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by chubby1625
Hello Gents,

This would have been the best resource if it had been funded.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...yGxpOuNrpFtylQ

Manuel used to have the info on his website but pulled it so he could sell books.

Artigiani costruttori di bici nel periodo Eroico