Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling in California

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling in California

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-20, 02:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
This article specifically mentions that outdoor exercise (including cycling) is allowed: https://www.kqed.org/news/11806988/s...u-need-to-know
Date-stamped March 16th, so the question is whether it is still allowed under the Governor's order.
Old 03-20-20, 02:25 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Date-stamped March 16th, so the question is whether it is still allowed under the Governor's order.
Ventura County version of the order as of tonight 3/20 at 11:59 pm specifically mentions bike riding as being okay:

Coronavirus ? Stay Well at Home Emergency Order ? VC Emergency
Likes For goenrdoug:
Old 03-20-20, 02:36 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I solo bike-commute legally to an essential job, and I live in a very rural area, so I have no worries about whether I can personally "get away" with it.

I also understand that our previous county shelter-in-place order allowed it.

I also understand why it "should be reasonable", but that doesn't make it legal if it isn't.

The state order supersedes the previous county shelter-in-place order, and it is shorter and more stringent. (See second link in @Big_John 's post.)

It would be good to know if anyone has something definitive.
It's not a coherent order though. For example it doesn't make an exception for grocery stores or take out restaurants to stay open (only federal workers according to the CISA reference). Then if you say well obviously grocery stores need to stay open, you get to the problem that it doesn't make an exception for grocery shopping. Nowhere in the PDF or the statutes referenced, or the list of essential federal infrastructure it references, is going out to buy groceries listed as an exception. Or exercise of any variety. Or say repair a roof leak, or driving your car. (Is that 'essential' when there is a bus?) Or going outside on your own property. Or to your own garage if it requires transiting a sidewalk (you might not have a rear entrance). What if it's a condo building with shared spaces - is utilizing those going outside?

Basically, the order is too non specific to consider more than a guideline. You just have to operate on assumptions, like exercise and grocery shopping is okay, but shoe shopping isn't (even if you wore out your last shoes and have to walk barefoot). This order kind of reflects California legislation in general.

I'll be riding my bike.

Edit: BTW, even city of SF had to figure out what it means and came to the conclusion that people should continue following local guidelines. (https://twitter.com/LondonBreed/status/1241032054533263360)

Last edited by sfrider; 03-20-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-20-20, 02:40 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8265 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Very sorry. I even saw it was filling in the wrong case and I corrected it, but I guess it changed it back.
Very confusing especially since it says this is his first post.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-20-20, 02:43 PM
big john

Originally Posted by sfrider
It's not a coherent order though. For example it doesn't make an exception for grocery stores or take out restaurants to stay open (only federal workers according to the CISA reference). Then if you say well obviously grocery stores need to stay open, you get to the problem that it doesn't make an exception for grocery shopping. Nowhere in the PDF or the statutes referenced, or the list of essential federal infrastructure it references, is going out to buy groceries listed as an exception. Or exercise of any variety. Or say repair a roof leak, or driving your car. (Is that 'essential' when there is a bus?) Or going outside on your own property. Or to your own garage if it requires transiting a sidewalk (you might not have a rear entrance). What if it's a condo building with shared spaces - is utilizing those going outside?

Basically, the order is too non specific to consider more than a guideline. You just have to operate on assumptions, like exercise and grocery shopping is okay, but shoe shopping isn't (even if you wore out your last shoes and have to walk barefoot). This order kind of reflects California legislation in general.

I'll be riding my bike.

What can I do? What’s open?

Essential services will remain open such as:
  • Gas stations
  • Pharmacies
  • Food: Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants
  • Banks
  • Laundromats/laundry services
All of the information is there if you look around for it.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-20-20, 02:45 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by big john

What can I do? What’s open?

Essential services will remain open such as:
  • Gas stations
  • Pharmacies
  • Food: Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants
  • Banks
  • Laundromats/laundry services
All of the information is there if you look around for it.
But what's the point of keeping grocery stores open if people can't go out grocery shopping? That's not on your list.
Old 03-20-20, 02:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
The first words on that list are "what can I do."
Old 03-20-20, 02:56 PM
big john

Originally Posted by sfrider
But what's the point of keeping grocery stores open if people can't go out grocery shopping? That's not on your list.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. Of course you can go to the market. If you listened to the governor the point of all this is to stop people from gathering in groups when it's not necessary. He said you can walk your dog, exercise outside, look after family members, etc. The point is not to punish anyone and there will be no enforcement by police.
Hardware stores are open as are gas stations, auto repair shops, take out food, etc.

that list was just a little snippet from the state site.
Old 03-20-20, 02:57 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Intentionally vague to not drum up civil unrest and keep the masses from rebelling. Controlled measures to elicit cooperation "Social Contract" rather than calling on the National Guard, CHP, local police agencies to try to force the masses to follow a curfew. The Governor knows he does not have the numbers to try to enforce a command to stay sheltered in place.
Old 03-20-20, 03:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Ventura County version of the order as of tonight 3/20 at 11:59 pm specifically mentions bike riding as being okay:

OK, maybe the governor issues the proclamation and the individual counties implement it in terms of shelter-in-place orders, in which case presumably our ones from March 16th are still in effect. I hope that is the case...
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 03-20-20, 03:23 PM
big john

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Intentionally vague to not drum up civil unrest and keep the masses from rebelling. Controlled measures to elicit cooperation "Social Contract" rather than calling on the National Guard, CHP, local police agencies to try to force the masses to follow a curfew. The Governor knows he does not have the numbers to try to enforce a command to stay sheltered in place.
A bit of a dystopian outlook? It ain't like that, man.
Old 03-20-20, 07:01 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Saw more bikes on the coast this morning than usual
Local bike shops are busy too
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 03-20-20, 07:32 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Loads of bikes on the trails at UC Santa Cruz. Lots of people visiting from Santa Clara county. I didn't think of this as being problematic before. Everyone kept a respectable distance (which they usually do anyway when they see me road-biking on the mountain bike trails).
Old 03-20-20, 08:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
A bit of a dystopian outlook? It ain't like that, man.
We shall see. Been to Costco lately? Whole lotta fear prompting folks to horde and panic buy. Not as bad now due to retailers finally stationing employees to meter out supplies. Sincerely hope the supply chain structure remains functioning, could become an issue with sick employees. Otherwise, well you know. . .

Plan on taking a long ride into the hills of OC tomorrow to stay on topic.
Old 03-20-20, 08:41 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I've seen more bikes on the road in the last few days than usual. In fact it looks like a summer weekend. I live in Redondo Beach CA and this observation applies to coastal roads I've ridden and the bike path 25 miles north and south of Redondo Baech.. I really do see more than normal traffic out there but cycling is mostly done in "groups" of one and two. People are taking the governors' advice to walk their dog too. When I take my dog out I see more people out during the day. So much for "working" at home.
Old 03-20-20, 08:44 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Originally Posted by eduskator
Last thing our hospitals need is injured people coming in during that time.
So PLEASE don't drive your car, as cars are the number one cause of death and injury for those to young to get cancer.
Likes For ChrisAlbertson:
Old 03-20-20, 09:04 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

From BikeSnobNYC (1918 flu)
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 03-20-20, 09:38 PM
big john

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
We shall see. Been to Costco lately? Whole lotta fear prompting folks to horde and panic buy. Not as bad now due to retailers finally stationing employees to meter out supplies. Sincerely hope the supply chain structure remains functioning, could become an issue with sick employees. Otherwise, well you know. . .

Plan on taking a long ride into the hills of OC tomorrow to stay on topic.
I agree with you about the people going crazy and panic buying, etc. I don't think I've ever been to a Costco, actually.

What I was disagreeing with was the idea that the state was going to sick the troops on us. At least not yet.
Old 03-20-20, 09:49 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I did a nice 41-mile ride today. Saw lots of other road bike cyclists and runners too. With the rain interference the last two weeks, it was GREAT getting out and I pushed the pace most of the way. I picked up a Strava segment PR for my age group. I'm planning on going out again Sunday or Monday.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 03-21-20, 01:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I am staying indoors this weekend for sure. On my way to work at 1:00am can’t sleep. Thank God for my own shop and working alone. I got work to do , one of my customers makes ventilators and I am making more tools for ramping up production. I have an “essential work” notice on my locked front door. I did get my Sunday ride to Ventura harbor last weekend in between rain squalls. It was great, not much traffic and only saw 2 other cyclists. Very few people at the beach, social distancing was easy!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-21-20, 08:39 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
In Socal. Heading out shortly. Traffic around here has been lighter, noticed during two rides I did this week already.

All group and club rides are cancelled now so it's solo time. As mentioned above, our local bike shops are open.

I found that being out at least created some sense of normalcy in these stressful moments.
Old 03-21-20, 08:16 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I road around Mission Bay and Fiesta Island today - there's people all over the place. Lots of social distance violations - I didn't report anyone, just verbal warnings.
Old 03-21-20, 09:29 PM
ChrisAlbertson

I think we have the same bike. Is yours from the mid to late 1970's Italvega. I have the same chrome bands on the seat tube, the same chrome lugs and so on.

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I am staying indoors this weekend for sure. On my way to work at 1:00am can’t sleep. Thank God for my own shop and working alone. I got work to do , one of my customers makes ventilators and I am making more tools for ramping up production. I have an “essential work” notice on my locked front door. I did get my Sunday ride to Ventura harbor last weekend in between rain squalls. It was great, not much traffic and only saw 2 other cyclists. Very few people at the beach, social distancing was easy!
Old 03-22-20, 12:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,113 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I road around Mission Bay and Fiesta Island today - there's people all over the place. Lots of social distance violations - I didn't report anyone, just verbal warnings.
you'd have a field day riding the mission beach/pacific beach bike path (ocean side..bay side is still relatively mellow-so far). try tomorrow for extra giggles.

rode mission bay/fiesta island friday and it was fairly subdued but..weekends, you know...
Old 03-22-20, 12:21 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

Here in Ventura County, took advantage of the empty roads and nice weather.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.