Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

No Frills GPS Computer or Watch

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

No Frills GPS Computer or Watch

Old 07-08-21, 04:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Where is the data stored? There doesn't seem to be a way to sync or transfer it to ridewithgps, unless I'm wrong. I'm pretty loyal to that platform for now.
Yeah, the XOSS G+ is currently designed to interface wirelessly only with Strava and TrainingPeaks. However the XOSS stores activity logs in the G+ device, and the files can be downloaded to a PC, or phone (via email is easiest), and uploaded to any activity app/software that uses standard activity file formats.

I've had to do that a few times when the XOSS phone app failed to sync with Strava. It's a little extra hassle but no big deal. I've done the same thing with MapMyRun to log data from my Under Armour running shoes with embedded Bluetooth sensor in the shoe. MapMyWhatever apps don't sync nicely with Strava so I have to do it manually when I want the extra data from my shoes and the MapMyRun app (footstrike cadence, stride, etc.)..

Another consideration that I try to mention whenever discussing the XOSS -- all data goes through the XOSS servers in China. Yeah, it's basically benign spyware. But I no longer work in any job that demands privacy or security concerns so I'm not worried. If I was still in the military or worked for the government I wouldn't use the XOSS.

I doubt XOSS has any evil intentions. It's just the China way of doing things. I doubt it even occurs to them that they *shouldn't* have access to our data. And originally the XOSS devices were intended to be part of China's own version of Strava (I forget the name of the activity app in China). According to some cycling press reporters in China the original plan was for the XOSS to launch simultaneously with the Chinese alternative to Strava, but the pandemic crisis put that plan on indefinite hold.

And, to be realistic, most of our apps do the same thing. They just don't share it with the US government unless subpoenaed... as far as we know.

If I was really concerned about privacy and security, I'd consider one of the Lezyne computers that requires a USB cord to transfer data -- no wireless sync available. I don't know whether those computers are still available but there were one or two that lacked any wireless connectivity to phones, etc. Or maybe I'd use an old school bike computer, if I was really worried.

Also, Abvio, the makers of Cyclemeter, say their app does not log our data to Abvio or anywhere else, *unless* we choose to do so. By default the data is stored only on our phones.
Old 07-12-21, 08:25 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
You maybe have a link to who is selling this for $100 ?. Cheapest I see it is $149. Not a bad price at that but I would not want a watch telling me my cycling metrics for riding. I'd rather have a larger screen that is easily readable.

Install one of the many apps designed for Garmin, use Garmin Connect to look at the data on whichever comp display - I like my 23" desktop display.
Old 07-12-21, 08:42 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by OldRailfan
Install one of the many apps designed for Garmin, use Garmin Connect to look at the data on whichever comp display - I like my 23" desktop display.
What are you talking about ?. First answer the question as to where to find a $100 Garmin. 2) What apps, on a smartphone ?, record and track and syncs to Garmin ? Never seen that. Perhaps an actual link to a product ?
Old 07-12-21, 10:17 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What are you talking about ?. First answer the question as to where to find a $100 Garmin. 2) What apps, on a smartphone ?, record and track and syncs to Garmin ? Never seen that. Perhaps an actual link to a product ?

The lowest the Vivoactive HR got in Canada was approx Can$ 140, current prices may differ, I'm using Bike Tracker https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/0...6-e4262db3e430 current price of Vivoactive 3 in GWN $ 178.
Non Garmin product syncing to Garmin Connect? Not as far as I know.
Instant results that fit the need and the budget? Happens very seldom.
Old 07-13-21, 10:05 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
just bought the garmen 130 plus for gf. works great.

I switched from hiking to biking. So I already had a garmin fenix watch. It even did power meters! while it was convenient since I already owned the watch I find a computer a lot more useful. You can look at it easier than watch. And the damn heavy watch does not bang around your wrist on bumpy roads.

If you just want to record your ride ( not view live data) I would just use your phone and put in your pocket. If you want to see live data I would get a computer with a out front mount. I tried my watch and phone on the handle bar, stem etc.. when are leaned over its difficult to see.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 07-15-21, 07:37 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
After all my fretting about no frills I may pull the trigger on a Garmin 530. It’s on sale and I can get Visa rewards cards at a 20% discount. Comes with two mounts that would work with my two bikes
Old 07-17-21, 08:41 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
After all my fretting about no frills I may pull the trigger on a Garmin 530. It’s on sale and I can get Visa rewards cards at a 20% discount. Comes with two mounts that would work with my two bikes
Theres a plethora of $15 Garmin out front mounts available on Amazon. Velo Endeavors is one I've had luck with.
Old 08-26-21, 10:58 AM
DynoD500_SR20-d
I ride to clear my mind

Bikes: Dyno D500-Ribble Endurance AL (2019) Tigara

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I'm looking for very basic GPS functions in a bike computer or watch:
- will be used with two bikes (both road)
- current speed (without a separate sensor), distance, avg speed, time of day, ride time, elevation is a nice to have
- not too concerned about battery life as the bike rests in an area where I have cables ready for charging lights
- easy to use at the start and during the ride is nice, but I don't plan on flipping screens much (given I want only basic information)
- I ride in low light and in darkness sometimes during winter, while not critical that it's backlit or has a button to show details in darkeess, it's a nice to have

I don't care about maps, colour, cadence, integration with anything at all (no HR, Power, Strava, etc.).

Will not be used as a training computer or for navigation, simply for basic details during and after a ride. I've used sensors in the past with basic displays and want to test out the GPS route.

I'm starting to research both bike computers and watches...but any experience and recommendations are welcome -- thanks!
I just bought a Bryton Rider 15 Neo. Not only is it no frills it has a GPS map you can upload to Strava. And it can alert you via Bluetooth your text messages.
I run this along side a Cateye Pardon and it is very accurate. It uses GPS to track speed. For 59.00 I doubt you will get anything batter. Oh you can upload 2 bike profiles too so if your running 2 different tire sizes you can switch between the two