Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 10:52 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
did my own version of Ttoc6's chart
Hot diggity you're a consistent rider. I'm impressed. Remind how your results were are gmsr and intelligentsia? I don't recall the race report from them.. Those look to be the main events you peaked for.
Old 09-19-17, 11:13 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did a couple of 8 minute Z4 intervals that just happened to coincide with a couple of strava segments. On two different roads that happen to have the same name. And, somehow, ended up with 2 KOMs. And now I see that in both cases the "uh-oh" email will have gone (now that is a weird verb tense) to a former pro who definitely got both previous KOMs just pedaling along. So now I'm wondering if he's going to think I sniped them on purpose as some sort of ******y challenge.
Old 09-19-17, 11:21 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode up Old La Honda at a very consistent pace - did the Strava segment disappear after Gaimon took the KOM? I only see partial segments up the climb.
Old 09-19-17, 11:23 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
it's tuesday, which means I usually do something dumb lol today was trying 2x15 @260w. I did the first at target, bailed out of 2nd one with only 4 mins left, just too much fatigue building, not quite ready for that long/that intensity (still trying to get back to my previous peak of 265 last october). also, with my new fan my HR is different around threshold, more like mid 160s vs low 170s.
Old 09-19-17, 11:30 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Hot diggity you're a consistent rider. I'm impressed. Remind how your results were are gmsr and intelligentsia? I don't recall the race report from them.. Those look to be the main events you peaked for.
hah, thanks. i had a pretty flexible schedule over the summer so that certainly helped. i've also been doing this **** long enough that I know myself and what i can handle pretty well.

intelligentsia was probably the best race of my "career." second in the omnium, two podiums in individual races, a 5th and two 6ths I believe?

got 4th on day 2 of gmsr, 16th on app gap, and 15th in gc (worked for my teammate at the end of the crit). decent, but I wanted a top 10 in GC or on app gap. mind you this is out of nearly 70 starters.

i have the points to upgrade for next year but will be holding off until june. i'm going to come into the season hot with the goal of winning a race in the 3s.
Old 09-19-17, 12:24 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
Rode up Old La Honda at a very consistent pace - did the Strava segment disappear after Gaimon took the KOM? I only see partial segments up the climb.
gps there can be spotty. segment still exists, but you maybe didn't match it.

https://www.strava.com/segments/8109...gyMTUxMTA5MDM=
Old 09-19-17, 12:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First ride after being in bed with a bad cold. Very gentle 1 hour commute. Just enough to loosen up all the snot. Feels much better after the ride, actually.
Old 09-19-17, 02:13 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a bee sting from Sunday which is systemically making me feel like crap, and a muscle strain in my right glute/hamstring that doesn't feel bad on the bike, but makes walking terrible.

Anyway, small setbacks -> major depression. Sky is falling mood.
Old 09-19-17, 02:28 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so I decided to wakeup 5am and get on the trainer for a 3x15 ftp intervals, 20 minutes in and I'm like this thing is hard, ended up doing 2X15 90% ftp intervals . Not sure if I need to get used to the trainer or just mental. One thing I noticed is my left knee hurt a bit only on trainer but outside 4 hrs ride and it's fine..ugh
Old 09-19-17, 05:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,657 Posts
bodies man, why can't they just work???

I'm 1 month out from my MTB accident that involved a serious contusion of my knee, still dealing with residual inflammation. I was able to ride for 3 hrs two weekends ago just fine but then went berserk and trained like normal for a few days and developed a "pop" in my knee after a few steps that really hurt...

I've backed off and it's gone down but I'm realizing that it's going to be a long road back to where I want to be, which is fine, but feeling fine in the interim is a bit of a challenge.
Old 09-19-17, 07:11 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Training question.

Im doing Hincapie next month..lots of climbing. I have nothing to climb here. I dont think overpass repeats will help.

Do I just get back on the sweet spot train and do 2x20's until then, or say eff it and just do what im doing and figure it out when I have to actually climb?

I honestly have no idea what to expect, just that I want to finish the ride.
Old 09-19-17, 07:13 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all.

Originally Posted by Ygduf
what probiotic did they put you on?
Doctor wanted me to get one with bifidum and lots of viable CFUs. I went to Whole Foods and bought the most expensive, souped up one I could find with a gazillion everything (I was done with messing around...). Now I'm just taking a more normal one with lacto acidophilus & bifidum that was ranked highly on Labdoor. I was pretty skeptical because probiotics seemed sort of quacky at first, but they finally fixed my issues so I don't care. Infection and dysbiosis from a simple road rash - what a fun trip it's been!
Old 09-19-17, 07:33 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Training question.

Im doing Hincapie next month..lots of climbing. I have nothing to climb here. I dont think overpass repeats will help.

Do I just get back on the sweet spot train and do 2x20's until then, or say eff it and just do what im doing and figure it out when I have to actually climb?

I trained up for a ride last May that had 12.8k feet of climbing in 124 miles. Where I live the bridges over I-10 are the big climbs. My coach had me doing progressively longer low cadence (60-70 rpm) intervals at threshold and higher, with the last one being 2x18' at 105% with 6' RBI. I made it through, including the last climb at mile 119 which was ~400 meters at 21%. Okay, I was standing in the 34-32, but I made it, dammit! The key for me was keeping a steady pace at 80-90% of FTP while climbing, and using all the gears I had.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-19-17, 07:37 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
FWIW I never train outside. I'm a pretty serviceable hill climber. It's just cadence and resistance. If you're doing long stuff you might find it a bit easier to simulate indoors, but YMMV.
Old 09-19-17, 08:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
To continue my time off the road bike... I ran about 4.5 mile today at what felt like an easy pace. Averaged <7 min/mile which is faster than my easy pace when I was actually in running shape. Tried out a fast 400 on the track afterwards.. 74s.. Which is slow. That was ~my mile race pace back in the day lol.

So in summary, biking makes you fit.
Old 09-19-17, 09:45 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Did the local loop, ended up unintentionally mixing in with the TNW's; they've gotten faster. We have a pretty legit youth program now and those kids haul up a hill.

I'm down 10 lbs in 5 weeks; about 16 to go (which I'm hoping to hit before Thanksgiving).

I don't know if my strategy of avoiding groups is good or bad. I really don't want people to see me in the shape (round) and fitness I'm in, but there's no bigger motivator out there than trying not to be last up the hill. Regardless I've got a few more weeks before doing anything resembling training. Right now its time in the saddle and calorie counting.
Old 09-20-17, 12:19 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
To continue my time off the road bike... I ran about 4.5 mile today at what felt like an easy pace. Averaged <7 min/mile which is faster than my easy pace when I was actually in running shape. Tried out a fast 400 on the track afterwards.. 74s.. Which is slow. That was ~my mile race pace back in the day lol.

So in summary, biking makes you fit.
Yeah but then try going much more distance and you suddenly get soreness in weird muscles you forget about and have to slow down for some strange reason lol. At least that's what happened to me last time I did a 7 mile run lol.

But cycling actually helped my 400 which turned out to be around the low 70s. Last I tried. A long while ago. But I never ran very fast in the first place.
Old 09-20-17, 12:22 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I'm in off season mode so I did the Zawkheist ride. (Climb hawk hill, finish at Zeitgeist, a bar). But I am getting old (lol, 33) and wanted to be home so I skipped the bar.

First time trying the new cranks on a sustained climb, but I didn't bring my head unit. The cranks actually feel 100% normal already.
Old 09-20-17, 05:51 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Training question.

I think you have Strava premium, so take a look at their 45 and 60 minute climbing plans and structure something similar over the next weeks.
Old 09-20-17, 06:07 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
I think you have Strava premium, so take a look at their 45 and 60 minute climbing plans and structure something similar over the next weeks.
Forgot about those. Looking at the plan, its primarily sweet spot/ftp and tempo (and an "uphill TT" lol). I think I will just stick with what I was already thinking and maybe add some lower cadence to it from im normally used to
Old 09-20-17, 08:46 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I didn't know Strava had training plans. Definitely going to do the "90 second sprint" one so I can starti winning all of those 90 second sprints.
Old 09-20-17, 09:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I didn't know Strava had training plans. Definitely going to do the "90 second sprint" one so I can starti winning all of those 90 second sprints.
prospect park
Old 09-20-17, 09:06 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
bodies man, why can't they just work???

I'm 1 month out from my MTB accident that involved a serious contusion of my knee, still dealing with residual inflammation. I was able to ride for 3 hrs two weekends ago just fine but then went berserk and trained like normal for a few days and developed a "pop" in my knee after a few steps that really hurt...

I've backed off and it's gone down but I'm realizing that it's going to be a long road back to where I want to be, which is fine, but feeling fine in the interim is a bit of a challenge.
Had a bothersome left knee last year, even after having a pretty good bike fit so i went to the doc, x-rays came out negative, recommendation for physical therapy which did help a bit but not completely. I started taking glucosamine chondroitin and I have to say my knee pain has pretty much disappeared. Doc says it's a good supplement for the joints
Old 09-20-17, 09:46 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
2hrs for me today, 7x10 sweet spot intervals ranging from 88-94% I bumped up the intensity 2% (so basing it on 255w instead of 250w) and it felt good so I may stick with 255, since my 100% efforts at 260 yesterday were just a little too much for me at this time.
Old 09-20-17, 10:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First 2x30' in awhile. Felt surprisingly good. Until the last half of the second one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.