Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Charity Ride Gotcha!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Charity Ride Gotcha!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 06:00 AM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmass
I don't like to ask family and ffriends to pay for me to ride.
Originally Posted by gettingold
everyone has their own causes and being asked to contribute is a constant drumbeat. I only ride in charity rides where there is one upfront payment. Having to shake down friends and family for my riding habit doesn't appeal to me.
^ same.
Old 10-11-11, 06:01 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gettingold
As well as the undying gratitude of your co-workers who will begin to scramble for the exits whenever you walk into a room. Charity is great but everyone has their own causes and being asked to contribute is a constant drumbeat. I only ride in charity rides where there is one upfront payment. Having to shake down friends and family for my riding habit doesn't appeal to me. I am becoming, in the words of a friend of mine, a "free rider".
Cheaper to pay the 250 yourself. Of the 75 people I had for ride donors, 18 of them came back requesting money for their cause. Being they donated between 50 and 500, I felt obliged to respond in kind. It gets pretty spendy.
Old 10-11-11, 06:14 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did a well-known triathlon training program a few years ago which was more about fundraising than about training. They really should call it Team In Fundraising....

Anyway, there were a few folks who loved it and did it every year but rather than continuing to hit up friends and family they would just pay the whole fee themselves, take the deduction, and call it good.
Old 10-11-11, 09:32 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Ironically, there are charity rides with $50 entry fees that end up contributing more net funds to charity than large rides with high fundraising requirements. Larger rides often spend a high percentage of funds raised on advertising and ride support.
Citation needed.
Old 10-11-11, 09:35 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
Doesn't mean it's not a piss poor way of running a fund raiser.
You haven't made a case that it is a "piss poor way of running a fund raiser". The OP didn't read the material describing the event!
Old 10-11-11, 09:39 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Exclusivity. How else are the organizers supposed to keep out the riff-raff. Anyone can pay $50 to ride but $250 or $2500 puts you in a different class. At that level you can enjoy the event with other people who "care" as much as you about the cause. $50, pffft...

OP "donated" $50, consider it a done deal and don't ride.
If you could get a way with just paying $50, who would take the time to raise $250?

It would require supporting 6 times as many people to get the same gross income. Considering the cost to support more people, you might need 10 times as many people paying just $50 instead of $300.
Old 10-11-11, 09:44 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Doohickie
And.... lots of charity rides have fees of $30-50 and still manage to raise money for charity. It all depends on how it's structured. On some rides, the organizers pay for the food at the rest stops; at others, they solicit groups to "sponsor" rest stops, at no cost to the organizers. If all of the goods & services needed to organize the ride are donated, you can raise $30,000 for a charity by charging $30 per rider if you get a thousand riders.
You really have no idea how the numbers work out.

Originally Posted by Doohickie
There are many ways charity rides are run. You are apparently not an authority on the subject, since you aren't aware of this.
And there are probably a wide range of effectiveness too. The sort of arrangement for the ride the OP was involved in is very common.

Anyway, the original poster did not read the material supplied to him!

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-11-11 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 09:47 AM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.charitynavigator.org
Old 10-11-11, 09:52 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Incorrect. I spoke with a fellow teacher who was involved with the non-profit associated with this ride and she said the donations help the organization keep their heads above water. $55 limited to 1000 riders isn't a heck of a lot, so if they can do it and still come out way over the logistical costs, so could other charities.
You still don't know how the numbers work out. Anyway "keeping their heads above water" sounds desperate.

Anyway, different organizations have different goals for the events they run. A small, local charity might have trouble being able to run an event that had a $300 "fee" associated with it.

If a particular charity could successfully run an event with a $300 fee, they would almost certainly prefer to do that instead of running one with a $55 fee since it would be much easier to "come way way over the logistical costs"!

Organizations are free to run their events any way they like. They are (for various reasons) obligated to clearly disclose the requirements. They are not obligated to force potential participants to read. If you don't like the requirements, you are free not to participate!

It's a heck of a lot of work to run a organized ride. It has to be worth that effort.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-11-11 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 11:01 AM
RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no way should he cough up the 250. that's outrageous.
******bag much?

I've coughed up the $250 myself on a couple of occasions when I let the fundraising effort slide. It's the whole point of a charity ride.

DG
Old 10-11-11, 11:29 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Organizations are free to run their events any way they like. They are (for various reasons) obligated to clearly disclose the requirements. They are not obligated to force potential participants to read. If you don't like the requirements, you are free not to participate!
The OP has a responsibility to read what is supplied. The organization has a responsibility to make the key points easy to find and understand. In the case at hand, the organization could have made the requirement clear by indicating it on the registration form itself rather than burying it in the middle of an especially busy webpage.

If too many people get confused about what's going on, it's a copout to put all the blame on the people who don't know what's going on. Do you read software license agreements? Unlike most people, I actually do. A lot of the stuff that most people claim is malware clearly states it will monitor your behavior and share info. But somehow when software does what clauses buried in legalese say they'll do, people get surprised.

People who understand how things work never get confused. But newer cyclists tend to get drawn to large charity rides first because they're marketed far more actively, provide more support than other rides (which you need to be a part of the cycling community to know about), and typically have easy courses.

Enough people are confused enough to think that events having numbers are races even though races require a racing license, are conducted totally differently, and riders move at actual racing speed. It never ceases to blow my mind how many people don't ride prepared to perform simple repairs. That people would mistake a charity event that just happens to involve a bike ride for a bike ride that happens to give funds raised over expenses to charity is not a surprise.
Old 10-11-11, 11:41 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
You still don't know how the numbers work out.
I never said I did. I just know they come out ahead.

Anyway "keeping their heads above water" sounds desperate.
You're absolutely right. I was told that without the charity ride, they would have been a little short that year after all their regular donations and endowments. With the ride, they came out a little ahead for the year.

Anyway, different organizations have different goals for the events they run. A small, local charity might have trouble being able to run an event that had a $300 "fee" associated with it.

If a particular charity could successfully run an event with a $300 fee, they would almost certainly prefer to do that instead of running one with a $55 fee since it would be much easier to "come way way over the logistical costs"!

I never disagreed with any of this part. I was simply arguing with those who claim that you can't make income by charging ONLY $50. You most certainly can. Whether that income is worth it or if you can stand to make more was not part of my contention.
Old 10-11-11, 02:45 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by banerjek
If too many people get confused about what's going on, , it's a copout to put all the blame on the people who don't know what's going on.
Where is the evidence that "too many people get confused"?

The OP has a responsibility to read what is supplied. The organization has a responsibility to make the key points easy to find and understand. In the case at hand, the organization could have made the requirement clear by indicating it on the registration form itself rather than burying it in the middle of an especially busy webpage.
No one is suggesting otherwise.

It's possible that not being clear (enough) is a valid criticism.

Saying that they should not require a $250 fund-raising requirement and that they should be happy with a $50 per-rider fee (as some people have done in this thread) is not a valid criticism.

===========

https://secure3.convio.net/nmss/site...eg&fr_id=16949

Question - Required - FUNDRAISING & SAFETY REQUIREMENTS PART I Registration fee is non-refundable, non-transferable and does not apply toward the minimum pledge. Transportation fee is non-refundable, non-transferable and does not apply toward the minimum pledge. All riders must raise the $300 minimum pledge by November 15, 2011. Failure to pay the minimum pledge will prohibit participation now or in the future of any Lone Star event. All riders must submit a signed Waiver Form at a Packet Pick-Up to receive a Rider Packet. Riders 17 and younger must have the Waiver Form notarized prior to attending a Packet Pick-Up. A parent or adult guardian who is at least 21 years old must accompany riders 17 years old and younger at all times on the ride. The maximum ration of adult-to-child riders is 1:3. The minimum age for a rider is 12 years of age by Saturday, October 15, 2011.
Yes, I have read and agree to comply with these requirements.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-11-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 02:51 PM
njkayaker

I never said I did. I just know they come out ahead.
Again, we don't know by how much and we still don't have any idea whether it made sense. It's possible that they were wasteful in the use of the free labor of their volunteers.

You're absolutely right. I was told that without the charity ride, they would have been a little short that year after all their regular donations and endowments. With the ride, they came out a little ahead for the year.
A desperate example doesn't your argument a strong one!

I never disagreed with any of this part. I was simply arguing with those who claim that you can't make income by charging ONLY $50. You most certainly can. Whether that income is worth it or if you can stand to make more was not part of my contention.
This, though, is the essential question.

The fact that you can "come out ahead" isn't relevant unless the income is "worth" the effort.
Old 10-11-11, 02:57 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Where is the evidence that "too many people get confused"?
We know at least one person is confused. We do not know if anyone else who signed up for that ride had the same problem.

In systems, you want to be careful about arriving at the conclusion the user is wrong when they don't behave as expected. Most people do not report problems to those who can actually do anything about them. Suggestions in this thread that the OP should ride anyway or that it's important to learn how charity rides work are an indicator that there is opportunity making the process clearer.
Old 10-11-11, 03:26 PM
njkayaker

In systems, you want to be careful about arriving at the conclusion the user is wrong when they don't behave as expected. Most people do not report problems to those who can actually do anything about them. Suggestions in this thread that the OP should ride anyway or that it's important to learn how charity rides work are an indicator that there is opportunity making the process clearer.
In anything, you want to be careful about arriving at a conclusion that something is fundamental wrong based on a single anecdote.

One might be able to argue that it wasn't clear enough.
Old 10-11-11, 03:30 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
You have to also consider the charity and how much they need to raise for the organization. The small town Lions club does pretty well raising $20,000 on a bike ride. If you're trying to cure MS, $20,000 isnt going to make a dent.
Old 10-11-11, 03:42 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

In anything, you want to be careful about arriving at a conclusion that something is fundamental wrong based on a single anecdote.
Totally agreed -- responding to every anecdote and fringe case is a great way to screw things up.

But it never hurts to keep an eye out for simple ways to improve.
Old 10-11-11, 09:50 PM
CardiacKid
SNARKY MEMBER

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am very sorry you weren't clear on the fundraising requirements before you signed up. When I signed up I thought it was very clear. I understand $250 is a lot of money to spend for a charity ride. However, you have to understand the Livestrong Challenge isn't just another charity ride. It started off as the main fundraising tool for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. There was a time when it only cost $50. The last year there was no minimum fundraising requirement, there were 9000 riders. This became totally unmanageable. There was a decision made to make it a smaller more manageable event to reward people for their fundraising efforts. At the same time they started running the event in several other locations. There will be about 3000 riders Sunday. It will be more fun for the riders, the volunteers and the citizens of Dripping Springs. If you really feel you have been treated wrongly, pm me and I will try and direct you to a person that can help.
Anyone who is interested should search for information about the Lance Armstrong Foundations financials on Google. You will find they are very good. A very low percentage of the money raised goes to administrative costs
Old 10-11-11, 10:04 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP should consider it to be a $50 reading lesson.
Old 10-11-11, 10:47 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Again, we don't know by how much and we still don't have any idea whether it made sense. It's possible that they were wasteful in the use of the free labor of their volunteers.

A desperate example doesn't your argument a strong one!

This, though, is the essential question.

The fact that you can "come out ahead" isn't relevant unless the income is "worth" the effort.
I see what you're saying, and I also see that my first response to you was misconstruing your original argument as saying no profit when you simply said not enough. Sorry.
Old 10-12-11, 05:13 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Did the Troll/OP go on the ride or not?
Old 10-23-11, 05:51 PM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Not a troll, just the surprised OP. I used to run charity races. Ran dozens and dozens of them in my day. They were all supporting some charity. You paid and got a T-Shirt and a number and you ran. End of story.

This Charity ride (Livestrong Austin) had absolutely ZERO mention of a requirement to raise more money in ANY of the info on their website before I registered. Just that it was $50 to register.

I started biking in March of this year and this was my very first Charity ride. Heck, I ride 300 miles a month and I've never so much as ridden with ANYONE.

When I signed up to ride, I assumed it was like running races. You pay and you run. Simple as that. You folks may already know that bike charity rides don't work the same but I was totally caught off guard by this. And, not it a good way.

I did not raise any more money. I did not go to the charity ride. But I did tell my friends that I felt "scammed" by the organizers.

So, I"ve learned my lesson. I now get it with charity bike rides. End of story.
Thanks
Old 10-23-11, 10:25 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by creativepart
This Charity ride (Livestrong Austin) had absolutely ZERO mention of a requirement to raise more money in ANY of the info on their website before I registered. Just that it was $50 to register.
Incorrect. When people in this thread speculated that you were talking about Livestrong Austin, I checked out of curiosity.
Did we ever figure out how "hidden" the $250 requirement was for the OP?

Edit: OK I saw references to Livestrong Austin and looked it up. After clicking on "register", the first thing I see when the agreement pops up is "RIDERS MUST RAISE AN ADDITIONAL $250 TO PARTICIPATE" in all caps. I didn't even have to scroll down.
It wasn't even a long agreement either. Perhaps a little sneaky not to mention it before you start to register, but they definitely made it noticeable before you finished and paid.
Old 10-24-11, 04:54 AM
kbro1986

Bikes: Ti

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the point is that the sign-up/registration was sneaky....not that it was unnoticeable. That is exactly how scams work...they get you to do something, then burn you with the fine print (that way the institution/group is protected by the law) "because you agreed to the terms & conditions, and it was in the fine print". That is a bad practice by the charity. Period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.