Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cadence vs. muscle development

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 12-13-15, 01:57 PM
Harvieu25

Bikes: Novara MTN, Merlin Moots Fatbeat, Specialized Allez, Merlin Extralight, BH Ultralight RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My comfortable cadence is from 100-110, anything lower feels like I am mashing and anything higher feels like I'm not doing anything. My questions are:

Does a lower cadence help develop torque?

Does a higher cadence help develop lean muscle (or no muscle)?

What are the benefits of each and how do you take advantage of various cadences and utilize different muscles?
Old 12-13-15, 02:37 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Beyond a certain level, cycling isn't a good method for building muscle. Of course, if one is living a sedentary lifestyle and they start riding they'll develop some muscle, but nothing significant. And if a person is involved with long distances (grand tours) they may, in fact, lose muscle mass.

The best proven method for building muscle is progressive resistance training using full range movements. Increase your training load over time and you will build stronger and larger skeletal muscle tissue. In most cases, cycling is detrimental to maximizing these types of gains.
Old 12-13-15, 03:10 PM
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.

Bikes: The Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Within the limits that cycling DOES develop muscle, it's more tone than mass. Higher cadence develops tone AND circulatory efficiency. Lower cadence, much like leg presses, works the muscle groups, just not to the same extent.

I usually pedaled at an 80-85 cadence over the last 15 years; my resting pulse dropped about 15 beats, my calves got ripped, and my thighs grew about an inch around (big already). All I can do now is maintenance; I'd guess my cadence now at about 75, tops.

Rotator cuffs suck.
Old 12-13-15, 10:02 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Moved from General to Training & Nutrition.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 12-14-15, 05:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Yes, lower cadence helps develop torque, particularly in the sense of getting comfortable working with higher torque, more pressure on the pedals.

It's good to have high cadence capability in the tool kit, but in order to be a fast rider, one needs to be able to put pressure on the pedals across a wide range of pedal speeds. The other big pitfall is getting accustomed to doing only high cadence/light load (i.e. low torque); you've gotta be able to put rpms and torque together to make big, sustainable, watts.

I also think that for many people, lowering cadence from 100+ to 85-90rpm range would drop HR a bit and facilitate recovery, and if you can do your 200w at either cadence easily, why not 'pocket' the extra bpm for higher power efforts?

Training with a power meter makes the pedaling speed/power relationship clear, and coupled with an HR monitor, would really help maximizing your training effort.
Old 12-14-15, 09:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Asking these questions means you should ride more hills. If you don't have hills, ride more varied cadences for training. See what happens. "Comfortable" is not necessarily good. A fave saying is, "If it didn't hurt, we wouldn't be doing it." If you can, find a decent but shallowish hill, at least 10 minutes, and include it in one of your usual loops. Try riding it in different gears while timing yourself up it. See what's faster. You could do a set of 3 repeats on it, all different gears. A confounder is that one gets better at what one trains to do. Therefore what you experience now isn't necessarily what your best experience could be.