Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

63% Of Americans Cannot Afford a $500.00 Dollar Car Repair.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

63% Of Americans Cannot Afford a $500.00 Dollar Car Repair.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 08:46 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
If you lived in that area, and worked at the Kennedy Space Center, would you have any choice besides owning a car?
As an aside from the OP, Hey Roody I get your point about poor access to the Space Center (which I have ridden all around many many times, but not through) do you remember a movie that stated with the guy riding from the space center on a bicycle? I seem to remember it involved a Corvette in some way.
Old 01-14-16, 08:48 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
Let me just put out one more little thing before I walk away from this conversation.

You do not have to talk about cars, at all, in order to discuss living car free. By definition (hah!) cars have nothing to do with living car free. So, to always be bringing up cars in a sub-forum devoted to living without cars is strange.

When I'm posting on the AAA and Carlover.com forums (I don't think these are real things btw) I'm certainly not discussing how much I dislike bikes or pedestrians or what we can do as a society to reduce walking.

It's just off putting to always be railing against automobiles and it kind of makes this sub-forum less appealing.
Still here? You add posts saying that we shouldn't be discussing cars (and state that this sub forum id dead, except for posts like the one we are in), but it seems as though you actually enjoy extending the discussion by adding divisive comments. You are welcome here, even if you drive a car, but I suggest you don't come to a sub forum and complain about what really is quite a big part of the subforum. Yes, it is Living CAR free, not Living Exclusively by Bicycle, Walking, Taking the Bus, Swimming, Crawling, Etc. Sad that in out country we have to say CAR free, due to the way we are set up, but it is the reality of the situation.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 01-14-16 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 09:23 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Sad that in out country we have to say CAR free, due to the way we are set up, but it is the reality of the situation.
Only if one has the emotional need for such recognition, as millions of us don't depend on cars without issue.
Old 01-14-16, 10:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Maybe I am wrong, but it appears as though much of what you are saying implies that others have no choice, so they do X because of Y (wah wah wah). That is playing the victim in my mind. Yes, there are those that truly must rely on an auto to get around, but the vast majority of Americans can choose another option at least part of the time. If not to drive to work, at least to ride or walk to the corner store. I agree that the perfect world would involve many modes of travel to all - a choice, but that ain't reality (BTW part of my job is to increase those options in a car-centric area). Those here at LCF make that choice to not use a car either all the time or most of the time, whether they are in a suburb with no other options or they are full of choices, but for most in this country the choices are very limited.

It is so difficult to have a discussion like this because there are so many exceptions and those trying to make their point can cite those and really miss the big picture, but you gotta admit that we in this country (for the most part) rely way too much on the automobile. In addition, for the most part we by crap that we don't need with money that we don't have and then wonder why we cannot afford a simple (and expected!) repair.
One of the exceptions is that some of us here are not Americans.
Old 01-14-16, 10:17 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't see how this relates to living car free.

Thread closed.

Forum Guidelines *click here*