Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Jan Heine "Busts" Another Tire/Wheel Myth...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 11:20 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The scientific method doesn't generally tell us what is "best."
I'm not sure what else using the scientific method in testing/comparing bicycle tires could be doing.
Old 07-23-20, 11:21 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by woodcraft
"The scientific method" is often put on a pedestal and dressed in a lab coat, leading to confidently repeating steel drum tests that show 19mm tires at 120psi to be best.
The move away from those narrow tires started way-before Heine was involved. 21 mm tires are, themselves, "really old".
Old 07-23-20, 11:31 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
Anyway, on a recent group ride we were on a rest stop and the conversation turned to wheels and tire size. 32s seem to be the normal. One of the riders made the comment that implied that only newbs or holdovers from 80s ride with 23 or 25s. I of course have 23s and I sensed this person realized this only after making the statement. No bother to me, I'm not going to throw a bunch of dollars at my bike to make others happy. I have a 700 x 28 tire that was given to me, it fits but is tight.
It is funny but at one time only newbs on cheap bikes and old people rode 32’s. I’ve gone from 20mm to 25mm over the years. Pretty sure I can’t fit 28’s on my road bike. I’ll stick with 25’s. I’m not about to change bikes for a wider tire.

In reality it is about the legs than anything else. A strong rider will always beat a weak rider no matter what tire is used.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-23-20, 11:32 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by ofajen
Thus, stiffness should match the rider’s power output, with stronger riders needing stiffer frames while lower output riders will prefer to ride more flexible frames.
"Stiffness" is a resistance to flexing. It makes sense that a stiffer frame is better suited to heavier/stronger riders. If riders generally prefer to have some flexibility in their frames, then the frame stiffness would have match the properties of the rider (a particular frame might feel "overly flexible" for a larger/stronger rider and feel fine for a lighter rider).

The "ideal" stiffness, in different situations, might not be the same for a particular rider either (more stiffness might be better for climbing and less better for "cruising"). A "more comfortable" frame might be faster for longer rides.

I don't think it matters as much as some think. Being able to claim a frame is "stiff" makes it easier to sell.
Old 07-23-20, 11:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The move away from those narrow tires started way-before Heine was involved. 21 mm tires are, themselves, "really old".

True. Not promoting Jan Heine ('tho I have received a sub to bicycle Quarterly as a gift and generally enjoy it),

so much as pointing to the issue of quasi-religious devotion to "the scientific method".
Old 07-23-20, 11:35 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
It is funny but at one time only newbs on cheap bikes and old people rode 32’s. I’ve gone from 20mm to 25mm over the years. Pretty sure I can’t fit 28’s on my road bike. I’ll stick with 25’s. I’m not about to change bikes for a wider tire.

In reality it is about the legs than anything else. A strong rider will always beat a weak rider no matter what tire is used.

John
Not exactly. 32c tires or 27 x 1 and 1/4 were pretty common on touring bikes. Plus old road bikes (say from the 70s or earlier) have lots of clearance for wide tires.
Old 07-23-20, 11:41 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by woodcraft
True. Not promoting Jan Heine ('tho I have received a sub to bicycle Quarterly as a gift and generally enjoy it),

so much as pointing to the issue of quasi-religious devotion to "the scientific method".
I was trying to say that there was a trend away from narrow tires before Heine got involved.

The idea that "narrow tires with lots of pressure" is still fairly common and it doesn't appear to be true for the kinds of riding people are generally doing.

Heine is useful because he's calling into question things that many people just assumed to be true (without much support).

It's hard to design experiments that reveal what is going on with tires. Heine is, at least, making some sort of somewhat-reasonable attempt at it.

The argument that he can't do good work in this field "because his PhD is in geology" doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-23-20, 11:45 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Not that I doubt the accuracy of his findings (within such a limited scope-- Heine's "science" is on par with say Mythbusters or GCN Does Science) but I think that it's natural for readers to raise an eyebrow when they read through "tire test performed by the guy who sells tires." Impartiality tends to stop just before it reaches the bottom line.
Old 07-23-20, 11:45 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Wheels on racing vehicles are as small as possible because rotating mass (and unsprung weight) is a huge issue. Racing vehicles will nonetheless run very big wheels at times, because they need to fit very big brakes-- not an issue with bicycles. Bikes are fairly limited as to what their tire height can be relative to width-- cars do not have this limitation, because they can run a tire with 5 plies in the 6" high sidewall.

I agree with everything stated about hysteresis, but there is obviously a practical limit-- if there wasn't, we'd all run motorcycle-sized tires... and there's Fatbikes, which do pretty much that, but are inarguably niche bikes with a narrow range of applications. This is (IMO) why their test seems to completely ignore the flywheel effect-- if they had tested a solid aluminum 20" wheel with any BMX tire on it, it would roll farther than all of them. End of the day, once fitted with an appropriate tire, 700c, 650b, and 26" all stand roughly the same height-- so it's not surprising that they would all roll similar distances. Somewhere in there is a point of diminishing returns.
Fatbikes may be niche, but they are also by far the most versatile mountain bike type out there. Perhaps not the fastest, but a front suspended fatbike'll easily ride anything a skinny full squish enduro rides.
Old 07-23-20, 11:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I like the part where he points out the wheel size on the vehicle with two feet of suspension travel
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-23-20, 11:52 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Fatbikes may be niche, but they are also by far the most versatile mountain bike type out there. Perhaps not the fastest, but a front suspended fatbike'll easily ride anything a skinny full squish enduro rides.
Which still leaves it in a niche, because a fatbike is pretty damn good at a short list of things, and pretty terrible at everything else-- which can be said of most other bikes as well. This is the same reason you don't see bike messengers on fatbikes (unless maybe it's really snowy) or guys doing crit laps on DH rigs.
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I like the part where he points out the wheel size on the vehicle with two feet of suspension travel
He should have gone with a picture of a trophy truck, which has tiny wheels and huge tires to go with 30-40" of suspension travel. Oh, and 800 horsepower. Lookit those teeny wheels!
Old 07-23-20, 11:53 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I don't think it matters as much as some think. Being able to claim a frame is "stiff" makes it easier to sell.
This is my experience, but I’m really not that picky. I suspect my 22” steel MTB frame is stiffer than my 25” steel road frame, but I really don’t notice much difference.

Otto
Old 07-23-20, 12:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
If only there was a website that independently tested tires and had a pretty good size database of them with CRR/wattage data at different pressures? Hmmm.
Drum testing (like bicyclerollingresistance.com does) doesn't always reflect real world performance.

https://blog.silca.cc/asymmetric-eff...e-optimization
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-23-20, 12:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
It tells us which is more-er better.
Old 07-23-20, 12:41 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Drum testing (like bicyclerollingresistance.com does) doesn't always reflect real world performance.

https://blog.silca.cc/asymmetric-eff...e-optimization
Drum testing is the gold standard for determining how well tires roll on indoor rollers.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-23-20, 12:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
In the heyday of bicycles (when the really bright people were designing bikes, not computers, software, aerospace ... someone did a study of wheel diameter vs road surface. (This was back when the worst roads were, by our standards, really bad and good pavement was a new concept.) He found that the rougher the surface, the bigger the optimum wheel diameter. Interestingly, he found that on smooth pavement, 27" was optimum. (27" being nearly exactly the outside diameter of a 700c road tire.)

Racers have settled on that diameter. Now, there have been race bikes built around much smaller wheels. In criteriums those bikes are fully competitive because what they give away in rolling resistance they gain in radically lower inertia; paying real dividends every corner.

The place where we moderns missed the boat is on poor surfaces. Mountain bikes. 45 years ago, the 26" wheel was adopted. Not because it had any advantages but because kid's bikes were available and cheap. Yes smaller wheels do better in tight places and fit smaller people better, but the disadvantages on rough surfaces were so limiting that you had to be seriously hard core (and slightly crazy) or willing to spend money, research, technology, etc, etc, to get enough suspension to make those bikes rideable. Much later, the 29s came along. Just what that guy told us 120 years ago!

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-23-20 at 09:19 PM. Reason: SIgnificant typo, 1st paragraph
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-23-20, 01:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Having a PhD doesn't get anyone a free pass.
No, but a Ph.D. in a field of science from the University of Washington makes me more willing to take him seriously than an anonymous person on the internet who makes such claims. As a scientist myself, I have a reasonably nuanced idea of what constitutes "scientific method," and from everything I have read from Jan Heine, it is clear he does as well.

It is cheap and easy to denounce someone like this on the internet, but I would find evidence far more compelling.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 07-23-20, 01:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you are calling "the scientific method?" (I ask in all sincerity, because you won't find universal agreement.)
Old 07-23-20, 02:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
I'm not sure what else using the scientific method in testing/comparing bicycle tires could be doing.
The scientific method is for testing hypotheses, which might include questions about the effect of tire size (or width) on rolling resistance, smoothness/comfort, speed, etc. But since those are sometimes competing goals, it cannot tell us what is "best." In other words, "best" is a subjective judgment which reflects preferences or priorities.
Old 07-23-20, 02:10 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
In the heyday of bicycles (when the really bright people were designing bikes, not computers, software, aerospace ... someone did a study of wheel diameter vs road surface. (This was back when the worst roads were, by our standards, really bad and good pavement was a new concept.) He found that the rougher the surface, the bigger the optimum wheel diameter. Interestingly, he found that on smooth pavement, 29" was optimum. (27" being nearly exactly the outside diameter of a 700c road tire.)
it would be interesting for the bicycle rolling resistance guy to test the three different sizes of the same tire. I have one set of 26” wheels with Continental Race King Protection tires. He indicates a drum rating of 18.0 watts at 35 psi for the 29er version. It would be interesting to see the ratings for the 26” and 27.5 versions of the same tire. Are they essentially the same or is there a difference? It’s not obvious to me how or why there would be much difference. Perhaps there is a roadish tire of the same width and identical construction on all three rims sizes that could also be tested?

Otto
Old 07-23-20, 02:20 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by wgscott
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you are calling "the scientific method?" (I ask in all sincerity, because you won't find universal agreement.)
Yes, there is not universal agreement - that's why there have been sooo many books and intellectual debates about it. I can recall reading a ton of that stuff in grad school, since I had some profs who were into it.

In the case of Heine's experiments, I've always found that - while he may be doing as well as possible for "real world" tests - his methods don't allow him to adequately control for the variables other than those in which he is interested. (You know, the whole ceteris paribus thing.) Additionally (and this is not entirely disqualifying, but still), it is clear that he is a less-than-dispassionate analyst.
Old 07-23-20, 02:39 PM
njkayaker

The scientific method is for testing hypotheses, ....
The "scientific method" is an overly idealized conception of what happens when people "do science".

It doesn't capture the "try stuff out (in a reasonably careful/disciplined way) and see what people think of it".

The scientific method is for testing hypotheses, which might include questions about the effect of tire size (or width) on rolling resistance, smoothness/comfort, speed, etc. But since those are sometimes competing goals, it cannot tell us what is "best." In other words, "best" is a subjective judgment which reflects preferences or priorities.
???

The point is to understand the properties so that it can inform a choice.

No one is saying the purpose is to determine a singular "best" tire for all uses.

It seems that a wider tire is objectively better than a narrow one for rough surfaces (that is, it doesn't seem to be merely a "preference").

In the case of Heine's experiments, I've always found that - while he may be doing as well as possible for "real world" tests - his methods don't allow him to adequately control for the variables other than those in which he is interested.
Seems like a normal thing for these sorts of investigations (looking at a complex situation with a limited budget). In any case, it might be better than nothing (it doesn't seem what was done before was better).

Additionally (and this is not entirely disqualifying, but still), it is clear that he is a less-than-dispassionate analyst.
The alternative was hewing to the standard "understanding" of narrow/high-pressure being faster (based on assumptions and worse investigations).

It appears, he's managed to challenge many assumptions reasonably convincingly, Maybe, not perfectly (but, so what?).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-23-20 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 02:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
His tests coincide with placing his tires as having better marks, as published in the magazine he publishes..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-23-20, 02:59 PM
Koyote

???

1) The point is to understand the properties so that it can inform a choice.

No one is saying the purpose is to determine a singular "best" tire for all uses.

2) It seems that a wider tire is objectively better than a narrow one for rough surfaces (that is, it doesn't seem to be merely a "preference").

3) Seems like a normal thing for these sorts of investigations (looking at a complex situation with a limited budget). In any case, it might be better than nothing (it doesn't seem what was done before was better).

The alternative was hewing to the standard "understanding" of narrow/high-pressure being faster (based on assumptions and worse investigations).
1) Agreed.
2) Scientific testing might prove that a wider tire gives a smoother ride, but only you (your preferences) can determine whether that is "better," since a wider tire brings other tradeoffs. This gets to your first point: that the tests can only inform your choice, not determine what is "best" in any universal sense.
3) Agreed.
Old 07-23-20, 03:23 PM
tz250

Bikes: Club Special, Bottecchia ADR, Alan, Ciocc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like his Bon Jon Pass tires, but Jan Heine and the scientific method have only a passing acquaintance. I would take his conclusions with a large grain of salt.
yes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.