Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Durable bible for bar bag?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 02-21-22, 09:56 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

Does anyone carry a durable bible with them on tour? What are you using?

I have a non-zipper version of the one below (zipper version in the link):
https://www.christianbook.com/kjv-po...425?event=EBRN

That is a complete pocket bible that is really nice, but it isn't "durable". The zipper version would help a ton as it would shield the pages from damage and junk jamming between them while in the bar bag, but I still wouldn't consider it "durable".

If there was one like the one in the link that had durable waterproof pages in that same format - small, zipper closure - that would be ideal. I'm not having much luck finding anything like it. Thoughts? Ideas?
Old 02-21-22, 10:05 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 702 Posts
Kindle version?
Old 02-21-22, 10:12 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Kindle version?
Ha.

I'm old school with some things. I should have prefaced that earlier. If I could get paper maps for routes I would - sometimes I make them from screen shots of online routing sources then print them off.

Paper doesn't fail or run out of batteries.
Old 02-21-22, 11:20 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Does anyone carry a durable bible with them on tour? What are you using?

I have a non-zipper version of the one below (zipper version in the link):
https://www.christianbook.com/kjv-po...425?event=EBRN

That is a complete pocket bible that is really nice, but it isn't "durable". The zipper version would help a ton as it would shield the pages from damage and junk jamming between them while in the bar bag, but I still wouldn't consider it "durable".

If there was one like the one in the link that had durable waterproof pages in that same format - small, zipper closure - that would be ideal. I'm not having much luck finding anything like it. Thoughts? Ideas?
I had one with a flap years ago, and it traveled with me. I finally lost it. I have one without a flap now, and simply put it in a ziplock bag. It protects it just fine.
Likes For phughes:
Old 02-21-22, 11:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts

Paper doesn't fail or run out of batteries.
And yet you’re looking for something other than normal paper.

BTW…The battery charge of my Kindle Paperwhite lasts a really long time even with the brightness at 100%, and it charges very quickly.

It’s not odd for me to read for a couple of hours in camp at night. The reason I got the Kindle is because I got tired of draining my headlamp batteries. Also takes up less space than a physical book.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-21-22 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-21-22, 03:47 PM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
The reliability of something like a kindle paper white is pretty close to that of a paper book. Battery life is really good at something like 10 weeks for 1/2 hour per day of reading. Even if you read a lot you can go a ways between charging. Most of my reading on tour has gone to audio books on my phone though. I do have a bible app on the phone, but to be honest have not used it on tour. I don't think I'd go back to carrying paper books on tour myself. I can see the desire to physically turn pages and the desire for the feel of a papper book, but doubt the notion that there is much more reliability or that battery life is much of an issue on something like a kindle paper white.

If you definitely want a paper bible, I'd suggest getting one and putting it in a heavy duty ziplock bag. I am a weight weenie, but the mini one would be hard on my old eyes. Maybe a full sized new testament? But I'd really consider a kindle though especilly if you will carry one or more other books. Certainly easier on the eyes than a mini version of a paper one I'd think.

Last edited by staehpj1; 02-21-22 at 03:52 PM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 02-21-22, 04:29 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 513 Times in 285 Posts
I just have a NASB and a NIV version downloaded on my phone. I used to bring one of the little new testaments the Gideons hand out with me, but my phone is so much simpler to use.
Old 02-21-22, 05:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Do you have a Bible bookstore near you? Every one I've walked into had a wide variety, including the zippered covers.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-21-22, 05:31 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by staehpj1
If you definitely want a paper bible, I'd suggest getting one and putting it in a heavy duty ziplock bag. I am a weight weenie, but the mini one would be hard on my old eyes. Maybe a full sized new testament? But I'd really consider a kindle though especilly if you will carry one or more other books. Certainly easier on the eyes than a mini version of a paper one I'd think.
Thanks for the post.

The text size in the one I linked to is perfectly readable for me, its 5pt in size. The only time its a struggle is if I'm really tired. The zipper version is slightly bigger - maybe 1/4" more in LxW. The non-zipper one fits in my blazer pockets, but not much room.

The one in the link below is the closest "waterproof and durable" format, but it is a good bit larger and no zipper closure. It does have good reviews on Amazon and other places:
https://www.bardinmarsee.com/p-1177-...ble-brown.aspx

I may just go with the zip-loc bag method. That doesn't help on the page durability in-use, but will protect it while riding along.
Old 02-21-22, 05:33 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Do you have a Bible bookstore near you? Every one I've walked into had a wide variety, including the zippered covers.
That is a thought. I can do some digging. I figured I could search online and find publishers that made such a thing. Though I can find a lot of options, none seem to have all the "details" in one book that I've come across.
Old 02-21-22, 05:41 PM
staehpj1

The text size in the one I linked to is perfectly readable for me, its 5pt in size. The only time its a struggle is if I'm really tired.
That probably would be an issue for me. I suspect cataract surgery is probably in the cards in the foreseeable future and just maybe after that I could deal with a 5 pt font again.
Old 02-21-22, 06:36 PM
indyfabz

I’m charging my Kindle with my external battery. Battery was at 88%. Kindle was at 73%. After 33 minutes the Kindle was at 90%. The battery dropped to 85%.
Old 02-21-22, 06:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
There used to be groups that would give those pocket bibles away by the handful. Do they still do that? I think generally the new testament only.

I'm not sure my eyeballs would like them anymore.

Hardening the pages, and it could double or triple the size.

Zip Lock Plastic Bag?
Old 02-21-22, 08:26 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
We usually take 2+ month tours and have a Bible on our Kindle along with a devotional. We have found this to work well.
Old 02-21-22, 10:01 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I had one with a flap years ago, and it traveled with me. I finally lost it. I have one without a flap now, and simply put it in a ziplock bag. It protects it just fine.
+1 Small Holman cover flap Bible, given to my wife before I met her by her best friend after my wife was born anew. Print requires reading glasses but if used out in the sun it's easy to read.

Last edited by randallr; 02-21-22 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add eye info
Likes For randallr:
Old 02-22-22, 06:27 AM
staehpj1

Some of what has been said raises questions on the kindle for me, but think I'll start another thread rather than further derail this one.
Old 02-22-22, 08:32 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I would suggest get any bible you want and then take an old (or new) stuff sack and take it to a local seamstress and have them make you a custom fitted bag. I have had bags made that cost about $15 for the labor plus the cost of the bag and zipper. You could go crazy and buy a 1/2 yard of Dyneema fabric (only the best for the best book) which would not be that much more than a decent waterproof stuff sack.
Likes For John N:
Old 02-22-22, 09:13 AM
KC8QVO

John N - Interesting idea. Do you have any sample pictures of bags you've had made? Never thought of that one, but I was thinking of a small stuff sac then just roll it up. That might be more durable than a plastic zip loc bag.
Old 02-22-22, 10:06 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
John N - Interesting idea. Do you have any sample pictures of bags you've had made? Never thought of that one, but I was thinking of a small stuff sac then just roll it up. That might be more durable than a plastic zip loc bag.
tupperware (and clones) come in all shapes and sizes.
a little strategically trimmed foam padding will prevent slopping around.

i have one that sits flat in my hbar bag for wallet, passport, docs.
used many years, no leaks, even during monsoon season.
Old 02-22-22, 08:41 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Suggest mod move this to religion section....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-23-22, 08:28 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Why? Because the book is the Bible? Most of the suggestions are the same as if it were any other book you could buy on your tour at the local bookstore. Granted, the OP is only concerned about a specific book but again, the same advice could apply to say a leather bound personal journal like my wife uses.
Likes For John N:
Old 02-23-22, 08:40 AM
indyfabz

I would suggest you follow your own suggestion but P&R has been locked for nearly three weeks.
Old 02-23-22, 09:10 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by John N
Why? Because the book is the Bible? Most of the suggestions are the same as if it were any other book you could buy on your tour at the local bookstore. Granted, the OP is only concerned about a specific book but again, the same advice could apply to say a leather bound personal journal like my wife uses.
Thanks for the replies and ideas thus far in the thread.

To be clear - this thread is not, and never was intended, to be a "religious discussion". Its simply on the form factor of a book and protecting while riding in a bar bag for miles and miles and days and days - which is why I posted in the Touring forum in the first place. As John N states - the logic discussed here can apply to any "book" - journal, diary, pleasure read, what have you.

If others spam the thread with religious discussions that would derail the initial purpose of the thread I set out to achieve. Thus far that has not happened - and hopefully it stays that way.
Likes For KC8QVO:
Old 02-24-22, 07:20 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts

why?

topic is in no way related to single speed bikes.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 02-24-22, 11:15 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
why?

topic is in no way related to single speed bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.