Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Rec’s for using a high end commuter as an all-purpose family bike

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 02-23-22, 08:11 AM
dcdavys

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hi family cyclists, I could use some help assessing whether my high end commuter can work as an all trails family bike, or if I should cut my losses, sell it, and use the proceeds to buy a bomber and finance gear to get my toddler on the bike with me (helmet, trailer, etc).

It’s a circa 2011 Spot Acme—belt drive, IGH, aluminum frame/carbon fork, etc. It was awesome when I used it as my primary transportation, but it is no longer getting any roadtime since we no longer commute or even live in a place where I would feel comfortable in traffic. My son is turning 1 soon and I want to buy a used infant seat or Burley trailer and hit the greenways and trails (think flattish fire roads, not mountain biking). Eventually get a tag along and/or Mac ride.

When I look at my Acme, it just doesn’t seem that practical—I’m going to need an adapter to get a trailer on the IGH, I’m not sure we can find a seat that will easily transfer between my bike and my husband’s cross check, the tires seem ill suited to anything but pavement, the disc brakes might be problematic with a rear seat, etc. Am I overthinking this? Maybe I just swap in some beefier tires, pony up $25 for the IGH adapter, and hit the trail? Any recommendations?

At the same time, I see a bunch of vintage Trek 730s and 830s floating around on Craigslist for less than $200 or the newer FXs and Giant Escapes for ~$300 that seem like they would be perfectly adequate for the weekend warrior lifestyle. What would you do?
Likes For dcdavys:
Old 02-23-22, 12:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Upload some photos of your bike to your album.
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/550833

Looking up the 2011 Spot Acme online, it looks like it is a pretty sweet bike, and not easy to replace in the future. And, you'll be beat up if you try to sell it.

You really don't much for riding on paved park paths. Even gravel bike paths may be OK. And, the Spot Acme appears to have lots of clearance for a variety of tires to suit your needs. I consider tires as "consumables", and even if expensive, they're a part of riding. And, you could potentially swap to different tires depending on your use and terrain.

Bike trailers can connect to the bike in a variety of ways from clamping onto the chain stays to a separate quick adapter. Even clamping onto the seat post. My most recent trailer uses a round adapter and pin which you bolt onto the rear wheel axle bolt (or quick release). Get one adapter per bike, and you're set.

I'm not sure about a bike seat. I've seen some that go over the top tube. Both a good idea and a controversial idea.

If you get both a bike seat and a bike trailer, then one person may get the bike seat, and the other person would get the bike trailer (with adapters to swap the trailer).
Old 02-23-22, 01:15 PM
dcdavys

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the album (and all the other advice)! I think you're probably right...I got the Spot secondhand from a co-worker for a really nice price and I should probably make the most of it. Isn't there some saying along the lines of, 'the best bike is the one you have?'

Re: tires, any specific rec's? There are KwikTendril 700x32's on there now, but they are worn and probably on the way out anyway. Consumable, as you say!
Old 03-03-22, 12:13 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by dcdavys
high end commuter can work as an all trails family bike
Good hybrid tires are only slightly heavier than commuting tires, and I find they roll smoothly on paved roads and dry park trails.
Likes For soyabean: