Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Self Defense on Long Tours

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 02:30 PM
C_hepp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a tentative cross country tour this summer with 2-3 other people, and an issue that keeps coming up is safety. What do u guys bring? Is just a knife and maybe pepper spray enough or is it good to take it as far as taking a handgun?
Old 12-07-15, 02:38 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I don't carry anything but my Swiss Army knife, and it is for slicing cheese, not self defense. My wife and I have toured a lot, and have never felt the need for anything except situational awareness.

We have toured through places like Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Gary, Buffalo, and Cleveland; only armed with a smile. We have also toured in 11 other countries without a problem.

I recommend practicing your smile and leave the things that will cause more trouble than they prevent at home!

P.S. Correction: We got in the crossfire of two drunks in a rock fight while riding through Duncan, BC. Other than watching one with a poor aim break a window of a car stopped for a traffic signal, there really was not
much danger.

Last edited by Doug64; 12-07-15 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 02:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
All fire arm discussions go into P&R . https://www.bikeforums.net/politics-religion/

if you are insecure go tour a different country where Its not as Violent. Like Iceland or Switzerland.

Australia is even in summer Now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-07-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
I have a small 4 inch blade folding knife that I bring on all rides more lasting more than 1 day. Its for any number of purposes though and has only ever been used to cut rope or twigs.
I dont carry pepper spray because I havent felt the need, so I for sure havent carried a loaded gun.
I could see pepper spray being carried and wouldnt think twice if someone said they carry it.

I am unarmed, even with my kids on short tours.
Old 12-07-15, 02:44 PM
C_hepp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I figured. I don't think bringing something as drastic as a gun would be necessary. A small knife for other uses and a small can of pepper spray makes the most sense to me, especially since we will be in a group.
Old 12-07-15, 02:58 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
If you're travelling in a group, you will need less precaution since there is a fair amount of safety in numbers. As a solo rider, might be a different story but I still never carry a firearm.
Old 12-07-15, 03:20 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Pepper spray ,a machete and knowlege of krav maga,anyway until now only used some time the spray agains crazy dogs
Old 12-07-15, 03:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
I can't imagine that riding across the country (USA?) would be any worse than riding around town, or around your local country roads.

I do carry a Swiss Army Knife with me most of the time, but have never even thought I would need it for defence. It is used for making adjustments on the bike, or anything that needs a little trimming.

I have "stealth camped" in Europe. The one thing that is important. If you leave your bike outside at night, then lock it. If you are alone, can you bring it into the tent with you? Also, don't leave your bike unlocked unattended.

I've never pepper sprayed a dog either, but some people do recommend it for dogs or other animals. Apparently dogs will also break off chase with a spray from a water bottle, but I usually just yell at them to "GO HOME", very forcefully.
Old 12-07-15, 04:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I don't carry anything but my Swiss Army knife, and it is for slicing cheese, not self defense. My wife and I have toured a lot, and have never felt the need for anything except situational awareness.

We have toured through places like Detroit, Boston, Chicago, Gary, Buffalo, and Cleveland; only armed with a smile. We have also toured in 11 other countries without a problem.

I recommend practicing your smile and leave the things that will cause more trouble than they prevent at home!
This ^^

We've toured that way in 13 countries ... in the city and in the country.
Old 12-07-15, 04:48 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Do what ever you do around town at home or less. If anything I'd be less likely to worry about carrying something for protection when on tour as compared to home.

Another thing what would you do with a weapon if you wanted to go into federally owned building (post office etc.). Leaving it with the bike would be irresponsible and taking it in is a serious offense.
Old 12-07-15, 05:16 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you are concerned, take a kick boxing class. If you have not had training in how to use a weapon (I mean real training, like military training, not a couple hour lecture at a range), it is likely more dangerous to you and your friends than anyone else.

If having a can of pepper spray on your handlebar makes you feel safer, bring it along. But I do not know if any states have any rules on that.

Make sure you bring a lock, your unattended bike is likely less safe than you are. If you have a problem, it is likely theft when you are not watching. Bring your valuables, ID, phone, etc., inside with you at restaurants, grocery stores, etc. I carried a handlebar bag that had all my valuables, that went inside with me wherever we stopped.
Old 12-07-15, 05:25 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I was younger, for protection, I used to carry a condom but now I just carry Tums.
Lets face it at my age, I am more likely to get heartburn than to get laid.
Old 12-07-15, 06:13 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by C_hepp
I have a tentative cross country tour this summer with 2-3 other people, and an issue that keeps coming up is safety. What do u guys bring? Is just a knife and maybe pepper spray enough or is it good to take it as far as taking a handgun?
confrontations with one's own touring companions, IME, rarely escalates beyond the occasional threat and name-calling... but it's not uncommon to have differences of opinion from time to time, WRT routes and eating places and camp sites. i suppose you could carry a stout stick strapped to the toptube though if you felt threatened.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-07-15 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 06:27 PM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you brought this up. Today I had to use my pepper spray. On the route I usually take there is a dog that chased me about a year ago and I haven't seen since. Today as I came around the corner there he was and he came after me with a vengeance. I grabbed my pepper spray and hit him directly in the face. That put a stop to that. His owner was just inside the door of his house and was yelling for him to stop but he didn't listen. I hated doing it but I hate getting bit even more.

I have my spray mounted on the part of my fork tube above the headset. I cut the top strap off and it is easy to grab quickly.
Old 12-07-15, 06:33 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If your not alone (being with 2-3 other people) that's a lot of safety right there. I think dogs would be my biggest concern in rural areas... followed by bears. A pepper spray might be overkill but a lot of security with very little weight.
Old 12-07-15, 06:41 PM
dashely

Bikes: Rodriguez 6-Pack, Giant Halfway

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing but a smile as a solo tourist. There are few real treats that would go after a group.
Old 12-07-15, 07:01 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I carry pepper spray because I tour in bear country a lot but have never had an encounter that has made me uncomfortable. Like someone said, situational awareness is most important like storing food and keeping a clean camp but I just know I would kick myself if I were ever being eaten by a bear and thinking "why didn't I bring that spray!!!"

I know I will die one day but I don't want to feel foolish while doing it.
Old 12-07-15, 07:30 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rex615
When I was younger, for protection, I used to carry a condom but now I just carry Tums.
Lets face it at my age, I am more likely to get heartburn than to get laid.
Come here to the Philippines, lol. Problem solved.
Old 12-07-15, 07:33 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Another thing what would you do with a weapon if you wanted to go into federally owned building (post office etc.). Leaving it with the bike would be irresponsible and taking it in is a serious offense.
This is one of the biggest problems. Always being worried about having a loaded weapon and what to do with it if you park the bike, even just for a hike or to go into a store.
Old 12-07-15, 07:35 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bill Bryson (A Walk in the Woods) carried nail clippers to fight off the bears on the AT :-)
Old 12-07-15, 07:45 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I carry pepper gel:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
zip tied to my stem. Amazing stuff that I may never need.
No way on carrying a gun. So much liability involved (don't want to start that discussion).
I used to carry a baton, but it broke and I never replaced it. Pepper spray is by far the best non-lethal option. I will be carrying it on my tour next summer.
Old 12-07-15, 07:53 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Knives for self-defence are a huge legal issue. In many places there is an assumption that to use a knife is to attempt murder since there is a presumption they are not effective for self defence. Another common issue is that a knife use is deadly force and therefore repeated parries may be regarded as multiple uses of deadly force which can be a very sticky issue. Just be sure you are aware of the true legal situation you are entering, and the many jurisdictional issues.
Old 12-07-15, 08:00 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Do what ever you do around town at home or less. If anything I'd be less likely to worry about carrying something for protection when on tour as compared to home.

Besides the federal building issue, you must also follow the laws of wherever you are. if you shoot someone or even their dog I bet you will be detained for the length of the investigation, kinda messes up your tour. Brandishing a weapon is also illegal most places. Carrying a gun only gives them a excuse to shoot you. I have been yelled at and insulted often enough. Even run off the road a few times. Turning around and going the other way and let them move on, do not engage. Besides most Rednecks are not afraid of guns.
Old 12-07-15, 08:56 PM
C_hepp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally don't think a handgun is necessary like u guys are saying. I will have a knife for other purposes as well as pepper spray at an easy to reach location. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 12-07-15, 10:25 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I would, always did for extended camping anyway. I wouldn't rely on a knife for self-defense though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.