Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are bearings replaceable in my rim?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-29-20, 06:13 PM
djwhute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I have a 2007 Norco wolverine that has some pretty gritty bearings. I pulled them apart and cleaned them and the races are very pitted and spalled in 3/4 of the circumference of both the ineer and outer raceways. I would assume these can be changed out, but everytome I Google it, I get more confused.

The rim is a "Sun Rims" 559x31 size. I measured the bore that the outer race sits in and it's 29.5mm,but I can't seem to find a cup and come style bearing that I would be able to press in there. I guess my question is, can you buy replacement bearing assemblies for this type of rim, if not, can you buy a new hub (sorry if the terminology isn't correct here, I'm meaning the piece the spokes are attached to in the centre of the wheel) and if not, is buying a new rim the only option?

I'm hoping to keep costs as low as possible as the bike gets only light usage, but would really like to keep it useable. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-29-20, 06:58 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
The bearings are in the hub, the rim is just the rim, and the hub+rim+spokes=wheel. You can replace the bearings in the hub, or replace the hub, or replace the entire wheel (which is what I think you mean).

Cost-wise, hub replacement+labor may be as expensive as replacing entire wheel.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 04-29-20, 07:09 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
In bicycle terms, a rim is a very different part of a wheel than a hub, which it seems that you are having trouble with. IF you Google the name of the part of the wheel that is in need of repair, you will get better results. Your rim is not the problem
Old 04-29-20, 07:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Bearing cones might be available, depending on whst HUB you have.
Bearing cups are part of the hub for all intents & purposes and means the hub is trashed.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-30-20, 02:25 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You're a little inexperienced with terminology so I may be understanding you wrong, but I think your hub is a cup and cone style with loose ball bearings captured between the hub cups and the axle cone. In these systems, the cups are nearly never replaceable. The cones are, and are more often significantly worn, although getting a matching replacement can be a significant challenge. A well maintained bicycle has the bearings replaced and the hub cleaned and regreased on a semiregular basis and can enjoy very long service life in such cases, but in a hub that was always adjusted too tight and then run into the ground you can ruin the wheel in just a couple seasons. In the majority of cases, rebuilding the wheel with a new hub is not cost effective. I like this kind of bearing arrangement because the tools to service them are ubiquitous, and the bearings are readily available and cheap. In other hubs, the bearings are cartridge units. These are typically replaced rather than serviced per se, and have the advantage that the inner and outer races are replaced with the bearing cartridge.

The best you can do besides replacement is probably replace the bearings and cone and make do as best as possible. The cones are really hard to find a correct replacement for--it needs to match the shape of the old cones and the axle diameter and thread pitch. https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-p...cones.html?p=1 is probably the easiest source for cones. Most bike shops will pull them off dead hubs and have a drawer, possibly augmented by a few tackle boxes of new cones, and will try to match as best they can.
Likes For cpach:
Old 04-30-20, 10:43 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If the bearing cups are badly pitted you will need to replace the hub. If you can rebuild the wheel it is no problem. If not it's cheaper to replace the wheel and learn bike maintenance. I overhaul my hubs every 2500 miles and rarely need to change the balls.
Old 04-30-20, 10:51 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by djwhute
Hey, I have a 2007 Norco wolverine that has some pretty gritty bearings. I pulled them apart and cleaned them and the races are very pitted and spalled in 3/4 of the circumference of both the ineer and outer raceways. I would assume these can be changed out, but everytome I Google it, I get more confused.

The best you might be able to do is get replacement close to the original.
A year or so ago I had to replace the bearings/cones on a set of Shimano hubs. Turned out, the particular hub model had been discontinued several years ago. And after diligently searching, there was no apparent substitute for the components of the hub. So, the best I could do was order cones with the same dimensions. I think I found them at Wheels Manufacturing (link -- https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html). So...if you can get a caliper or micrometer and get accurate depth, thickness, and thread count measurements of the old cones...you might be able to find one from a different manufacturer with identical measurements that will work for you. Good luck.

Dan