Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why is there more love for Italian Steel bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why is there more love for Italian Steel bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 12:35 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I think people that enjoy steel bikes enjoy steel bikes. And there are some I'm sure enjoy the other European bikes and Japanese bikes. I have a few Japanese bike boom bikes I enjoy working on and riding.

But let's be real... Who wouldn't want a Colnago or Bianchi survivor or the like over a Takara or Bridgestone? If there is someone out there with an early 80s Italian bike that wants to trade for a hi-ten Asian built bike, hit me up. But I'd wager it will be the proverbial cold day before that happens.

Old 03-29-21, 10:50 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 278 Posts
I believe it was Holly and the Italians that pointed out, "Some strive for greatness, other have it thrust upon them, and some are just born Italian."
IIRC I first heard Holly and the Italians while BS'ing with Darrell back in the shop at Raincross Bicycles in Riverside, sometime in the early '80's. He was defending his Mondia against the Grandis I had at the time.

some things just don't seem to change
Old 04-02-21, 07:17 PM
mooseinmass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
A friend let me hold onto his Bianchi Sport SX from the 80's while he was in China for a year. It was so much fun that I am totally hooked on old steel bikes now.