Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Want to start Road cycling where to start? which bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Want to start Road cycling where to start? which bike?

Old 05-14-19, 10:31 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Armyguy1914
Well The two bikes that I posted so those are more of upright road bikes? Should be alot quicker being full carbon. I ride a Hybrid Trek Dual Sport 3 mostly on the greenways here which consists of Dirt, payment and gravel so my DS 3 has no problem. Well what position is the bikes I posted? I want to clock more speed and distance. I also want ride in groups and being able to keep up.
Giant classifies the Contend as an all-rounder and the Defy as endurance. I'm only going off memory right now, but the Contend is neutral and Defy is more upright.

These are just generalities -- so it's important that you go by your own feeling of good fit -- but going faster and going longer distances are usually at odds when it comes to ideal bike geometry.

To go faster, overcoming aerodynamic drag (on flats and descents) and gravity (uphill) are the two most important factors, so a bike meant for those purposes would minimize weight and/or be set up such that both it and the rider atop punch the smallest hole through the air.

To go farther, comfort is key, and most of us aren't flexible enough to hold a very low position on the bike for long, which is why they tend to be more upright and have allowances for wider tires (often easier to accomodate with disc brakes, which are heavier than rim brakes), wider gearing to go uphill without killing our knees, and may be less stiff or snappy to hard acceleration in exchange for smoother tracking and more vibration absorption.

There are going to be a wide range of bikes at group rides, so it's really up to rider preference. And it generally is true that the more time on bike you ride, the faster you'll get, unless you never push hard (unlikely given your goals, I'm sure), so an endurance bike is a good safe choice. But not knowing your strength and flexibility, it's also possible that a racier bike like the Giant TCR and bikes from other brands (e.g., Trek Madone/Emonda, Specialized Tarmac) could fit you to a tee. If you have the time, test ride some of those just to get a feel for the difference.
Old 05-14-19, 01:26 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
If you are truly new, the only thing that matters is that you have a decent bike that fits. It's the fit that's hardest to get right from an online order when you don't really know what you are doing.

Don't try to get the best bargain with the fancy drivetrain brands on your first bike. Spend $800-$1200 at your nearest LBS and get a basic bike that fits you. If you really take to road cycling, you can buy a better bike later. An inexpensive bike that fits is 1000X better than an "Ultegra" bike that doesn't.
That's where I would start. One other point....if you forego CF frame for aluminum you will get better components for the same price point.
Old 05-15-19, 03:48 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Don't forget to leave room in the budget for things like pedals, shoes, shorts, etc.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 05-15-19, 05:31 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- Thats an absurdly great bike spec for the price.
2- More important than spec is geometry and whether the bike fits.
3- How is Motobecane still using those handlebars in 2019?!?! I am shocked they havent managed to run production out of inventory yet. Ritchey must be more than happy to keep selling that style bars for OEM bikes since the aftermarket has to be all but dry.

Its already been said, but it bears repeating- fit is more important than components once you are looking at bike shop level bikes.
Fit is not nearly as important as the obsessed want you to believe. Do a small amount of research and use a small amount of common sense and you will get close enough to thoroughly enjoy your bike/rides.
Old 05-15-19, 07:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Fit is not nearly as important as the obsessed want you to believe. Do a small amount of research and use a small amount of common sense and you will get close enough to thoroughly enjoy your bike/rides.
Fit is not that important? You have 3 contact points with a bike and when 1 or more isnt good, it can be miserable.
Fit seems quite important.

Regardless, my point earlier was that fit is more important than groupset for someone starting out. A lower level group on a well fitting bike is 10x better than a high level group on an illfitting bike.

And when I say fit matters, it isnt simply if the stack and reach work- it's the geometry of the bike too. A bike must fit well for the rider and the rider's style of riding.

An onlinr road bike with a 74deg STA and 73.5deg HTA with 43mm of fork rake may fit a rider based on a general chart, but that bike may be too twitchy for the rider due to geometry.
That wouldn't be known to a beginner without either trying bikes in person or doing a good bit of deep research.

I do agree that a brand's fit chart will work most of the time, assuming the rider knows what frsme geometry they want.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-15-19, 11:11 PM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Giant classifies the Contend as an all-rounder and the Defy as endurance. I'm only going off memory right now, but the Contend is neutral and Defy is more upright.

These are just generalities -- so it's important that you go by your own feeling of good fit -- but going faster and going longer distances are usually at odds when it comes to ideal bike geometry.

To go faster, overcoming aerodynamic drag (on flats and descents) and gravity (uphill) are the two most important factors, so a bike meant for those purposes would minimize weight and/or be set up such that both it and the rider atop punch the smallest hole through the air.

To go farther, comfort is key, and most of us aren't flexible enough to hold a very low position on the bike for long, which is why they tend to be more upright and have allowances for wider tires (often easier to accomodate with disc brakes, which are heavier than rim brakes), wider gearing to go uphill without killing our knees, and may be less stiff or snappy to hard acceleration in exchange for smoother tracking and more vibration absorption.

There are going to be a wide range of bikes at group rides, so it's really up to rider preference. And it generally is true that the more time on bike you ride, the faster you'll get, unless you never push hard (unlikely given your goals, I'm sure), so an endurance bike is a good safe choice. But not knowing your strength and flexibility, it's also possible that a racier bike like the Giant TCR and bikes from other brands (e.g., Trek Madone/Emonda, Specialized Tarmac) could fit you to a tee. If you have the time, test ride some of those just to get a feel for the difference.
Maybe I'm missing something, but reviewing Giant's website, the frames are nearly identical with the difference being material; the Defy (carbon) and Contend (aluminum). No matter - test riding is the big advantage of the LBS.

I tested a Defy Advanced 1 with stock Gavia tires and Ultegra gearing and an Advanced 2 with105 and Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. Both rode comfortably, shifted well with the 1 feeling a bit faster which is probably all down to the tires, not the drive train. The things holding me back, the ugly (albeit effective) brake system, over the top branding, etc, Personal stuff, not performance. It felt good for the long rides, not races I like to do...so it still might be part of the stable by Memorial Day.

Now the reason I'm looking for a new road bike? I bought a deal online on a well spec'd carbon race bike - in my case supporting a charity auction - only to discover that at 6'1" a 56cm it is just too small. I've had to spend $$ on stems, etc. to try and get it to fit right at...the LBS. That said, I've ridden it a ton and learned a lot of what I do want so count it as a good experience. Now I've got to sink $$ in to new tires etc. or let it go to a new home and get something that actually fits.

Moral of the story: if I had to do it over again, would have bought my first roadie from my LBS.
Old 05-16-19, 09:55 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Originally Posted by zaxmalloy
Maybe I'm missing something, but reviewing Giant's website, the frames are nearly identical with the difference being material; the Defy (carbon) and Contend (aluminum). No matter - test riding is the big advantage of the LBS.

A cursory look at the geos shows that the Defy has a longer wheelbase and more BB drop than the Contend SL, typical of endurance bikes.
Old 05-17-19, 03:43 AM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Fit is everything if you plan to go on long "century" type rides
Bikes with race geos are not inherently faster than bikes with more upright geos
Carbon is not faster than steel, or aluminum
One groupo is not faster than another, it's all about the engine on top
Rider position, i.e low flat. and punching a smaller hole through the air is the difference

If you are keen, flexible,and don't mind a bit of toe overlap, a race fit is great
However, tweaking a race bike into an upright style bike is not the best route, they look goofy and are not meant to work that way
Focus on fit, saddle, bars, shoes
The latest 105 groupo is great !
Old 05-17-19, 04:51 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Beware of advice from anyone that uses the term gruppo or groupo.
Unless of course they are Italian.
Old 05-17-19, 05:24 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A cursory look at the geos shows that the Defy has a longer wheelbase and more BB drop than the Contend SL, typical of endurance bikes.
Sure enough. And not sure what point I was making anyway by trying to compare the two bikes.

I was trying to say 'Amen' to what most in this thread indicate - fit and feel are more important than technical specs - especially with your first road bike. Throw your leg over the top tube of a few at the LBS and ride them. Find a salesperson who cares about establishing a long term relationship with you instead of making a quick sale. Get what feels right. An online deal may not be such a bargain in the long run.

YMMV
Old 05-17-19, 11:19 AM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Or just old school
Old 05-17-19, 01:32 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Il gruppo 105 è eccellente e ti renderà più veloce dei tuoi amici Sora!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...iz.drSJBz-GSEk
Old 05-17-19, 11:45 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Fit is everything if you plan to go on long "century" type rides
Bikes with race geos are not inherently faster than bikes with more upright geos
Carbon is not faster than steel, or aluminum
One groupo is not faster than another, it's all about the engine on top
Rider position, i.e low flat. and punching a smaller hole through the air is the difference

If you are keen, flexible,and don't mind a bit of toe overlap, a race fit is great
However, tweaking a race bike into an upright style bike is not the best route, they look goofy and are not meant to work that way
Focus on fit, saddle, bars, shoes
The latest 105 groupo is great !
Great advice. It's exactly the approach I took when I first began cycling; only two months ago.
Old 05-19-19, 01:46 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
I would especially suspicious of anyone claiming to be Italian and using “groupo.”
Old 05-19-19, 01:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,815 Posts
Disagree.
Old 05-19-19, 03:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Maybe fit doesn't matter on a a one-minute downhill run, but if you plan on sitting on a tiny little seat for several hours, your weight has to be in all the right places and your posture has to be one you can sustain for the whole time ... because when you are fifty miles out and it starts hurting, you still have 50 miles to ride and the pain is likely only going to continue and to spread.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-20-19, 10:01 AM
Armyguy1914

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3, Trek Emonda 5 Full carbon road bike,

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good afternoon

Originally Posted by maartendc
Tiagra is fine for a beginner. Tiagra is 10 speed, 105 is 11-speed. That is about the biggest difference between the two. Even Dura Ace was 10 speed only a couple of years ago, so don't be fooled by the "arms race" of groupsets. If 105 is in your price range, by all means get it, but nothing wrong with Tiagra. Tiagra level is sooooo good nowadays. (although this forum has some people that look down their nose at anything under Ultegra, don't be fooled)

Look at this video, from one of the most sensible Youtubers out there in my opinion: (this is comparing the previous groupsets, but the same logic still applies).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaJDkVJ1K8E

Those Giant bikes offer very good value for the money. If the bikes fit you, go for it.

Ask if you can test ride the bikes. You can only know fit after a decent test ride, not just by standing over it in the store.

Good luck!
Yes sometime si would look on craigslist and online. I will be going to my LBS and get it straight from the jump.
Old 05-20-19, 10:06 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hey

Originally Posted by grayrest
From memory, the difference between 105 and Ultegra is 200 grams and Ultegra to Dura-Ace is about the same. They're the same design using different materials for reduced weight. As a new rider you probably have better things to do with a couple hundred bucks than save a couple hundred grams.
hey I watch some videos and from the sounds of it you really dont need Dura-Ace or Ultegra well If your a more seasoned rider or race your bike. I saw good things about the new Tiagra 4700 and the 105 R7000 so i want to pick one of them
Old 05-20-19, 10:11 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hello

Originally Posted by bruce19
That's where I would start. One other point....if you forego CF frame for aluminum you will get better components for the same price point.
Hey Well I saw a Contend SL 1 they had on sale but it was a Med large. If it was my size i would got it. Well I can get a carbon fiber frame still. The 2020 models shouldbe coming soon and i can get a deal
Old 05-20-19, 10:14 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ciao

Originally Posted by jlaw
Il gruppo 105 è eccellente e ti renderà più veloce dei tuoi amici Sora!

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...iz.drSJBz-GSEk
Sì, fino ad ora sono come il gruppo 105 Il nuovo 105 R7000 che è. HWta su Tiagra new 4700?
Old 05-20-19, 10:17 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well Im still new and not sure of the fitment as to where I want to be upright or down. Well I can get down but dont want to be in that position long because of my back.
Old 05-20-19, 10:20 AM
Armyguy1914

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hello

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Don't forget to leave room in the budget for things like pedals, shoes, shorts, etc.
Well i see what you mean. Those thing are not cheap. Those padded shorts help out on my last long ride but with my hybrid 22 miles!!.
Old 05-20-19, 11:41 AM
surak

Well Im still new and not sure of the fitment as to where I want to be upright or down. Well I can get down but dont want to be in that position long because of my back.
That's pretty common, you should be fine with something like the Defy or a more neutral geometry bike then. And if you want to leave some room for possibly getting lower later and are between two sizes, the general advice is to pick the smaller size and have the shop fit you with a longer stem (though Giant's proprietary mechanical/hydraulic stems may have more limited options). You would then leave open the option of removing spacers to get a more aggressive fit.
Old 05-20-19, 02:54 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
I want to start because of exercise and just wanting to try new things. What do I look for when getting a new road bike? I know group sets is one. Shimano 105 and Ultegra is a few. Dura Ace is very nice but expensive. Carbon is one thing i been trying to find reasonable. Should I love full carbon or just the folk?

2019 Motobecane Super Strada
Shimano Ultegra R8000 22 Speed Road Bikes
+Upgrade to New DT SWISS Wheels

Frame

New Semi-Compact, DoubleButted/HandCrafted aluminum, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2xH2O bosses H/T FRAME .RC:408/409 /410 /411 /412 /413mm FOR 47-50/52-54/56/58-60/62/64CM
HEAD TUBE Length: 47/50/52/54/56/58/60/62/64CM=115/130/140/150/170/190/210/230/250mm

Fork

Advanced StraightBlade INTEGRATED CARBON ( UD WEAVE ) 700C L: 340mm, 43mm OFFSET 1.125 inch steerer. 47/50/52/54/56/58/60/62/64CM=203/218/228/238/258/278/298/318/338mm

Derailleurs

F/DERA SHIMANO FD-R8000, ULTEGRA, FOR REAR 11-SPEED, DOWN-SWING, 31.8MM BAND
R/DERA. SHIMANO RD-R8000, ULTEGRA, GS 11-SPEED, TOP NORMAL SHADOW DESIGN, COMPATIBLE W/ 28-34T FOR DOUBLE

Shifters

SHIMANO SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER, ST-R8000, ULTEGRA 22 Speed

Brake Calipers / Levers

TEKTRO R540 BLACK Front w/P420 ALLOY CARTRIDGE SHOE Reach:39-51mm / SHIMANO
INTEGRATED WITH ST-R8000 Levers

Wheelset

DT SWISS P 1800 SPLINE 23 WHEELSET
RIMS DT SWISS 700C ALLOY BLACK ANOD. SLEEVED TUBLESS READY W/FV ( 1596g )
SPOKE DT SWISS STRAIGHTPULL DT NEW AERO & DT AERO COMP , BLACK , F/R:20/24PCS S.S. RADIAL / 2 CROSS W/DT ALUMINUM NIPPLES
F/HUB DT SWISS SPLINE ALLOY ROAD FRONT BLACK HUB 20H. OL:100MM
R/HUB DT SWISS SPLINE ALLOY ROAD REAR BLACK HUB 24H. W/ 3 PAWL SYSTEM , OL:130MM COMPATIBLE WITH SHIMANO 11-SPD

Crank
BottomBracket

FSA Gossamer Compact 50x34T HG C-Ring BLK ANOD. 170/172.5/175mm for 47-52/54-56/58-64C / FSA BB-6200 Road MegaExo Bottom Bracket-Ø24 Stainless bearing / English threading : 68mm width (BSC-1.37" X 24T)

Cassette/Chain

SHIMANO HG800-11, 11-SPEED, 11-13-15-17-19-21-23-25-27-30-34T/ KMC X11 SUPER NARROW CN 1/2x11/128"x110L.W/ CL555

Saddle

Racing Turbo W/CR-MO RAIL

Seatpost

RITCHEY 2 BOLTS, 6061 ALLOY BB BLK 27.2 X 350MM

StemRITCHEY COMP 4 AXIS 84/6D( ALLOY(6061) EXT-6°)90/100/110mm FOR 47-52/54-56/58-64CM,C/S:31.8/28.6x42mm, BB BLK

Handlebars

RITCHEY BIOMAX ALLOY(6061) D.B. BUTTED W/TUNNEL BUILT IN TYPE B/CENTER: 31.8mm 400/420/440mm FOR 47-52/54-56/58-64CM, D/R:130/82mm, BB BLK

Pedals

Road Clipless Pedals WELLGO RC-713 ALLOY POWDER COAT BLK ROAD PEDAL W/9/16" CNC CRMO AXLE, Compatible with SPD bolt pattern / 2-bolt sole pattern (cleats are not shoes)

Tires/TubesCONTINENTAL Ultra Sport II 700x25C 180TPI Folding Bead

This bike is from Bikes Direct right? I believe they bought the Motobecane name. It is not a real Motobecane which used to come from France. I had one that did come from France back in 1978. I believed they stopped shipping to the states in 79 or 80.

Anyway's, Bikes Direct does not have a good reputation. Prices are indeed low, but there is a cost. Just do some research on them.

As others have said, I would stay local. Spend no more than 1200 and even less on a starter bike. My first bike was a Specialized and was on sale for 900. After 3 years of riding it, I moved up to a full Ultegra setup and carbon frame from Felt.

The 105 or as others have said, even Tiagra is a good group set to start with. Put some miles on the bike and you will get a feel for what you may want to move in to if you stick with it. Last think you want though is a 1500 dollar wall hanging.

Get a cheaper bike and just swap out the wheels for better wheels and you will have a better bike than one that came off the shelf for 1200.

I would highly suggest you ride at least 3 different bike brands if you can. Believe it or not, there are differences between them all. Don't go just by brand. Go with what feels the best to you. My daughter rode 4 different bike brands before settling on a Scott aluminum bike from REI that was on sale for 650. So, test ride a few and look around. It is a lot of money and best to ride a few bikes to see which one feels the best to you and not just buy the cheapest or first one you see.

john
Old 05-20-19, 03:30 PM
PetKos

Bikes: Landshark (s), Masi 3V Wing, Dunelt, Griffen

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All that bike spec is great but you are missing one thing which is the most important thing to do first and that is a QUALITY bike fit so you know exactly what size bike to buy. This way you won't be making any 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 6th mistakes etc. Go to a fitter that doesn't have an axe to grind, namely selling one of the bikes in his store that may not fit you. For that matter if you live in New England, You can come see me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.