Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Tires

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 10:49 AM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I have used Conti's, 4000 and 5000 tires for some time now and they are great, no doubt. However I have recently switched to using Vittoria Corsa Graphene 2.0 tires and WOW! These are really nice tires and feel just as supple as my tubulars, IMHO.
Yeah, the ride is great. But in my experience they will flat from about anything.
Old 07-02-20, 12:21 PM
markynels

Bikes: CAAD13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
In light of discussion surrounding the 5000's, can anyone suggest a comparable (+/- minimal rolling resistance difference, similar puncture/tear resistance) with tan sidewalls other than Turbo Cottons or Vittorias which seem to be the most popular?

I see some folks on the Challenge Elites, but reviews haven't been great. Hutchinson also have a tan wall option, but clueless as to how good/bad they may be- any thoughts?
Old 07-02-20, 12:23 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 73 Posts
The Schwalbes I mentioned above are available in tan sidewall. No idea how good or bad. Ask me in a few months (I got the black ones though)
Old 07-02-20, 12:34 PM
markynels

Originally Posted by CyclingFool95
The Schwalbes I mentioned above are available in tan sidewall. No idea how good or bad. Ask me in a few months (I got the black ones though)
Good point, thanks! Interested to hear how they hold up! Reviews have generally been pretty good, especially tubeless..
Likes For markynels:
Old 07-03-20, 12:23 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I've been running Gatorskins on most of my wheelsets but have Diamante Pros on a set of Neutrons and Conti GP4000S IIs on another set of wheels. I typically run 23s at around 100-110 psi, and not planning on changing that.

I'm looking to pick up a set or two of GP5000s or similar. The big question is, based on looking on reviews/test/forums, is there any reason to even consider anything but the 5000s? Especially since the GP5000s are no more expensive and generally even a little cheaper. Pirellis seem to have slightly better cut resistance but dont roll quite as well. Comparable Vittorias are light but dont wear at all well, and seem to cut easily (not that I've had any issue with mine). etc... Anyone have any thoughts?
how about the gp4 seasons, I rode those on my last bike and only had 1 flat which was a piece of flint that I don't think about tyre could withstand! I recently switched to Corsa g and have so far had 2 flats, wish i had stuck with the 4 seasons!
Old 07-03-20, 08:14 PM
CyclingFool95 

Bikes: 1987 Pinarello Montello, 1996 Litespeed Classic, 1996 Colnago Master Light, 1997 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Opera Leonardo FP, 2006 Pinarello Paris FP, 1984 Pinarello Record, 89-ish Cornelo Profilo

I mounted up the Schwalbes this afternoon and took them out for a quick ride (mainly to adjust the new saddle I put on the bike as well). The comparison to anything else is unfair though because the wheels are new to me Hed Ardenne Plus SLs with crazy 25mm width. These 25mm tires measured out at 28mm wide at a paltry 85 psi, as compared to 23mm GP4000s IIs at around 24.5mm and 23mm Gatorskins at around 23.5. So, no surprise that the ride was ridiculously plush and cornering crazy glue like. I'm aiming for 50 miles on them tomorrow so should put them through a good test.

Likes For CyclingFool95:
Old 07-03-20, 09:13 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Red white and blue, appropriate for tomorrow
Old 07-06-20, 03:56 PM
markynels

I mounted up the Schwalbes this afternoon and took them out for a quick ride (mainly to adjust the new saddle I put on the bike as well). The comparison to anything else is unfair though because the wheels are new to me Hed Ardenne Plus SLs with crazy 25mm width. These 25mm tires measured out at 28mm wide at a paltry 85 psi, as compared to 23mm GP4000s IIs at around 24.5mm and 23mm Gatorskins at around 23.5. So, no surprise that the ride was ridiculously plush and cornering crazy glue like. I'm aiming for 50 miles on them tomorrow so should put them through a good test.
What's the verdict? Seems like they're comparable in measured vs. real width to the GP4000s. The GP5000 fit true to size and make matching them to an appropriate rim width ideal. Interested to hear how you found them at speed.
Old 07-09-20, 03:36 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
Yeah, the ride is great. But in my experience they will flat from about anything.
Too bad that you have had this experience. Very different from mine. I would say that flats are partially due to tire quality but more toward installation, riding style, inflation, etc.
Old 07-16-20, 09:44 AM
CyclingFool95 

Originally Posted by markynels
In light of discussion surrounding the 5000's, can anyone suggest a comparable (+/- minimal rolling resistance difference, similar puncture/tear resistance) with tan sidewalls other than Turbo Cottons or Vittorias which seem to be the most popular?

I see some folks on the Challenge Elites, but reviews haven't been great. Hutchinson also have a tan wall option, but clueless as to how good/bad they may be- any thoughts?
Continental just announced GP 5000 in tan sidewall (25mm only, I think, and a limited release).
Old 07-16-20, 09:51 AM
CyclingFool95 

Originally Posted by markynels
What's the verdict? Seems like they're comparable in measured vs. real width to the GP4000s. The GP5000 fit true to size and make matching them to an appropriate rim width ideal. Interested to hear how you found them at speed.
I've finally put a couple of hundred miles onto the pair of 25mm. I have 23s mounted up on my Neutron Ultras but haven't tried them out yet. It's still tough to compare my experience with 23mm Gators on 15mm wheels, against these 25s on 21mm rims. They are certainly noisy on the roads I run, but they also seem quite quick. The ride I did yesterday packs all the climbing up front with a nice gently downhill trending run that lasts for several miles - had some sustained runs at 20-30 mph and they seemed very nice and smooth. On the same ride, I hit a couple of bits of road debris, one metallic, that I sent shooting across the road - no tire damage that I can see. Handling through sharp turns is really quite good, but I have to wonder how much of that is the tire and how much the wide rim and lower pressures. I'm going to try to get a comparison run on the Neutrons in the next few days. I'm happy enough with them so far that I ordered two more pairs from Merlin - they seem hard to beat at the price.
Old 07-16-20, 12:10 PM
markynels

I've finally put a couple of hundred miles onto the pair of 25mm. I have 23s mounted up on my Neutron Ultras but haven't tried them out yet. It's still tough to compare my experience with 23mm Gators on 15mm wheels, against these 25s on 21mm rims. They are certainly noisy on the roads I run, but they also seem quite quick. The ride I did yesterday packs all the climbing up front with a nice gently downhill trending run that lasts for several miles - had some sustained runs at 20-30 mph and they seemed very nice and smooth. On the same ride, I hit a couple of bits of road debris, one metallic, that I sent shooting across the road - no tire damage that I can see. Handling through sharp turns is really quite good, but I have to wonder how much of that is the tire and how much the wide rim and lower pressures. I'm going to try to get a comparison run on the Neutrons in the next few days. I'm happy enough with them so far that I ordered two more pairs from Merlin - they seem hard to beat at the price.
Happy to hear so far so good! Ya, tough to isolate impressions with the added noise of rim width, but I'm sure the tires are contributing greatly. Looking forward to the 2000+ mile longevity review
The road conditions on my routes of late have been pretty poor (Mix of gravel, hardpack, potholes everywhere, glass, junk etc..). After seeing all the GP5000 sidewall and puncture issues on this forum, my butt is puckered in waiting... How are the road conditions where you ride habitually? Curious to see how they align especially with regards to longevity on this new tires.

Regarding the Conti tan wall release, THRILLED!!!
Finding them locally, or in Canada is a different story..
Old 07-27-20, 01:57 PM
CyclingFool95 

I put a set of 23s onto my Neutron Ultras and paired them up with the Litespeed (which I haven't ridden yet this year). I ran them around 100-105 front and 105-110 rear. Much quieter than the 25s were at the lower pressures. And, they certainly seem faster than the Gatorskins, and the ride seemed quite smooth for the high pressures I run. Cornering was crisper than with the wider wheels/tires but smoother than with the Gatorskins (which is what had been on these wheels). The usual road junk, and, in a moment of inattention, I ran straight over a large enough piece of gravel that I hit it with both wheels without it appreciably moving. Not a mark on the tires yet.

I've been seeing the Conti tan walls listed everywhere but they're expensive. Very expensive.
Old 07-28-20, 01:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you can't find the Conti GP5k cream sidewalls, check out the Conti GP Classic skinwalls (also 700x25 only). I've been riding a set for a year, over 3,000 miles, with remarkably little wear, a single nick on the rear tire and no penetration to the puncture shield. The ride is even better the past month after switching to latex tubes.

The reddish brown skinwalls are translucent, apparently very thin, but no problems with sidewall damage. I don't ride that bike on gravel and try to avoid debris, which may help.

The tread is old school, very '80s, reminiscent of some tires I bought back in the 1970s-'80s for my Motobecane. Raised center tread with sipes, shallow chevron tread on shoulders, which may be a tight squeeze with some road bikes. When new the GP Classic center tread slightly scraped the bottom of the rear brake bridge on my '89 Centurion Ironman with Suntour GPX brakes. That stopped after a couple of rides. Switching to another brake might help.

The specs aren't quite comparable to the GP5k -- 180 tpi vs 330 tpi -- but the GP Classics are about half the price too. Prices went up from around $30-35 each to $45 due to the pandemic slowdown, but recently dropped back to $32 so I grabbed another pair this week. Looking forward to putting them on a second road bike.