Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Pinstriping

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Pinstriping

Old 04-02-21, 07:57 AM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Pinstriping

Not sure if this is the correct subform or not but I am looking for advise.

I bought a frame off Ebay that is lugged steel, Champion 2 and I would like to pinstripe the lugs. I found several different ways to apply, brush, Vintage Beugler Striper De Luxe and a cheeper one on Amazon.

My question is has anyone used the Beugler striper or a brush and what does anyone recommend for an amateur?

Picture for reference...

Old 04-02-21, 09:20 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
The people I know of that do pinstriping use a buegler, which are still available new. And possibly a Kemper fluid writer and brushes. If you get a fluid writer, buy the large.
I have thought about getting a buegler, but I have no immediate need, so I keep putting it off. I imagine the main thing is just to practice.
Old 04-02-21, 10:43 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
The Google Groups "Classic Rendezvous lightweight vintage bicycles" group speaks well about using a Kemper Fluid Writer for lug lining, where a thin line is considered the nicer look. I would think for pin stripes a slightly wider line is the better look. For box lines back to the thinner width. So I guess a well equipped painter would have a few different tools. Andy
Old 04-02-21, 02:06 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Thanks, the Kemper Fluid Writer looks interesting. It looks like you might need to fill it every time you line a lug.

I was trained as a graphic artist so I've used different pens for drawing lines (Rapidograph) pre-computer aided drawing tools I just haven't tried anything lie
this. I'm probable going to order the Beugler and try it out.
Old 04-02-21, 03:53 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Joe Bell is the one that got me started using the Kemper Fluid Writer. I think that is what all my pro colleagues use now too. I've used a number of tools/methods over the years. Paint pens were popular for awhile until we got wind of the Kemper. Besides the application is also the problem of bits of removal if necessary. I've used toothpicks among other options. .
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-02-21, 04:20 PM
Jmpierce

I just saw another thread that, I don't remember what to call them, pens were used. I used these in a past life as a graphic artist. I only used ink but a video show them being used with paint. I have a bunch of Testers enamel paints I'm going to try.

I was able to find mine. They need cleaning but I think they'll work.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ing-brush.html

Last edited by Jmpierce; 04-02-21 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add link
Old 04-04-21, 02:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
I just saw another thread that, I don't remember what to call them, pens were used. I used these in a past life as a graphic artist. I only used ink but a video show them being used with paint. I have a bunch of Testers enamel paints I'm going to try.

I was able to find mine. They need cleaning but I think they'll work.

https://youtu.be/1Oo9WwzsR7g

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ing-brush.html
J.P.,
Those are ruling pens, I have used them and while they are good I have found if not careful small scratches can occur and it is difficult to turn a corner (maybe I need more practice/patience.). What is nice about them is for box lining they leave a sharp not a round end on the line that you are making.

For box linning, I have used thin cardboard as a guide....Put a layer of blue tape 1/8 of an inch away from the line you want to make and then overlay/lap the thin board as the guide. Much like we find on templates where there is a little space left so that the ink/paint will not flow under the template.

I have also had great success with Koh-I-Noor Rapiographs, which you may have in your arsenal. 4 or larger....thin the paint so that it flows easily. These are much easier to control than the others mentioned that have been mentioned because they are like a pencil or pen.

But for my cars, nothing beats a striping brush!

Best, Ben​​​​​​​

Rapidograph's

Super old school....harder to control....but it can make letters!

Nothing beats One Shot Enamel...if using Testors, be sure to thin it well, otherwise, it will not flow properly.

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Last edited by xiaoman1; 04-04-21 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-04-21, 02:59 PM
Jmpierce

Boy Ben, those Rapidographs take me back! I only have one left and its really small so it probably won't work.

I found a store by me that carries the One Shot so I'll try that. The thin board for a guide is a great hint, thanks. I also ordered a Kemper Tools Fluid Writer Pen to try my luck with. I have a Nashbar frame I'm going to use as practice.
Old 04-04-21, 03:55 PM
xiaoman1 

Boy Ben, those Rapidographs take me back! I only have one left and its really small so it probably won't work.

I found a store by me that carries the One Shot so I'll try that. The thin board for a guide is a great hint, thanks. I also ordered a Kemper Tools Fluid Writer Pen to try my luck with. I have a Nashbar frame I'm going to use as practice.
I bought a kemper but still like the Rapidio's...The Kemper is a lot like drawing with a digital canvas.... Hand/fingers not in the same "space" as the tip but you get used to it.
Try eBay for a Rapido's 4-6-8 they are there,
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 04-04-21 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-04-21, 10:15 PM
xiaoman1 

Joe,
Just be sure to get the board or acetate sheet high enough so that the paint doesn't bleed through.
Good Luck, Ben

Old 04-05-21, 08:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I am pretty sure I still have my Rapidos from when I did drafting. How do you clean paint out of them?
Old 04-06-21, 06:42 AM
Jmpierce

Ben,

I'm guessing you're using One Shot Enamel in the Rapidiograph. Do you thin it so that it flows in the pen or are you using it at full strength?
Old 04-06-21, 08:12 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
One thing I want to mention about doing pin striping and that is pin striping specific paint has more pigment so a couple of applications is not necessary so the paint color underneath is not visible. There is nothing more problematic that doing a nice job but the paint doesn't cover well enough and you can see through it to the base color. If one thins down regular paint so it flows more easily, then it can be too thin to cover the undercoat color adequately.

House of Kolor makes a pin stripping pain that comes in a very small paint cant. Of course it is expensive but they come in a variety of colors.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-28-21, 11:10 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
The video below was posted on the C & V section about the Taylor brothers bike business. At 25 minutes in, I believe that it may be Jack Taylor that is box lining a tandem frame. He does it so effortlessly. Of course, he has lots of practice.

It looks like a Beugler, with a wheel, however, it may be an English made one. There was also a video of Raleigh DL-1 getting box lined and the woman lining the frame used a similar device. So, this English wheeled pinstriper may pre-date the Beugler.

Wheels are good for pinstiping and boxlining. If you are talking about lug lining, then a wheel would not be the right tool.

I used a drafting ink tip with Testors paint. It worked, however the lines were not as thin as I would have liked. When I tested it on paper the paint made nice thin lines. When I moved to the bike frame the paint, the gold paint flowed out a bit more and became fatter than I would have liked. I was unsure if I needed to thin it more because it was already flowing too much. So, I am still looking for a better solution or need to improve my technique for lug lining.
Old 04-28-21, 11:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
The video below was posted on the C & V section about the Taylor brothers bike business. At 25 minutes in, I believe that it may be Jack Taylor that is box lining a tandem frame. He does it so effortlessly. Of course, he has lots of practice.
I think you meant about 12 minutes in. It does look effortless.
Old 04-29-21, 07:04 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I am pretty sure I still have my Rapidos from when I did drafting. How do you clean paint out of them?
Sorry, just saw this..... I thin the paint so that it will flow easier.....works best with larger-sized pens, the ones with a little offset on the tip. The offset also works well when lining lugs because it maintains a clean line at the edge.
Long straight lines use a thin piece of cardboard over a layer of acetate sheet or dbl masking tape so the paint won't bleed.
Best, Ben

Old 04-29-21, 07:06 AM
xiaoman1 

Ben,

I'm guessing you're using One Shot Enamel in the Rapidiograph. Do you thin it so that it flows in the pen or are you using it at full strength?
Jmpierce Yes. see my previous post.
Good Luck...practice first!

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 04-30-21, 04:18 PM
GrayJay

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
It looks like a Beugler, with a wheel, however, it may be an English made one. There was also a video of Raleigh DL-1 getting box lined and the woman lining the frame used a similar device. So, this English wheeled pinstriper may pre-date the Beugler.

Wheels are good for pinstiping and boxlining. If you are talking about lug lining, then a wheel would not be the right tool.

I used a drafting ink tip with Testors paint. It worked, however the lines were not as thin as I would have liked. When I tested it on paper the paint made nice thin lines. When I moved to the bike frame the paint, the gold paint flowed out a bit more and became fatter than I would have liked. I was unsure if I needed to thin it more because it was already flowing too much. So, I am still looking for a better solution or need to improve my technique for lug lining.
In one of the old Jack Taylor documentary films, they explain that the secret for hand-brush pin striping is to first go over to the neighboring pub and get a shot of strong whiskey to steady the hands before the brush-paint work!
Likes For GrayJay: