Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Tommasini Lounge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Tommasini Lounge

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 11:49 AM
Fourthgrace

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno EL OS, Pinarello Banesto Team Bike Oria ML45, Stephen Roche Cork EL OS Bio-Racer, Le Monde Chambery, Grandis Campione del Monde, Grandis Superleggera, Joe Waugh 753, Rourke MODUCEL 753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hack...ike/1273345224

I've seen Tommasinis as Thomas, but I've never seen one badged Tomas.

What is going on with those bars though?
That's because Tomas is an Italian bike maker in its own right. Unrelated to Tommasini.
Old 06-21-21, 05:13 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourthgrace
That's because Tomas is an Italian bike maker in its own right. Unrelated to Tommasini.
Thanks - yes I did find that info after a bit of digging. Looks like the seller has doctored some Tommasini decals!
Old 06-21-21, 05:18 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Oyama
With respect, I need your thoughts and helps to find the birthday of my Tommasini.
I believe Tommasini is still run by the family. Your best bet would be to make contact with them: Tommasini Bikes - Contacts and Information
Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-29-21, 10:56 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Regarding some Tommasini history, can anyone tell me the approximate dating on a Tommasini Racing (Strada) that has this Cinelli bottom bracket? What time period were these used by Tommasini? Thanks for any info.

Old 07-30-21, 05:24 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Perhaps Kevindale , T-Mar or repechage will be able to help you with that one👍😃👍

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-05-21, 09:20 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
I've never owned a Tommasini and had not looked at this thread before, but both those things have now changed. Having just acquired a Tommasini frame that I am waiting to arrive from Belgium, I've been through the whole thread, wow so many amazing bikes and paint jobs here in the lounge.

I'm due to take delivery of a 1991 Super Prestige frame this Saturday, I've already got over half of the components I need to dress it, and have been hitting eBay with gusto this week to purchase the remaining bits and bobs.

Sorry no pics yet I'm afraid, but the frame is pink with lots of chrome and with horses galloping along the top tube, I must admit it was the horses that tipped me over the edge and buy I frame I don't really need . It is just like those posted by theodor_d and nenad here: https://www.bikeforums.net/16757461-post326.html and https://www.bikeforums.net/20947336-post897.html
I notice both those frames have a different range of colours for the panels on the seat tube, and my one has different colours again on that same panel, but the down tube ones seem to the same as those above. The previous owner kindly forwarded me an email from Barbara at Tommasini, who confirmed the frame was built/sold November 1991 for Van Peterhem Sport in Belgium, who appear to be a Belgium distributor for the Tommasini brand. I don't know if the different colours on the downtube panel relate to them specifically, or if Irio and co just liked to play around with different colours to make frames a bit different.

Having scrolled through the whole thread I've been inspired to build it up with a 10 speed silver Campagnolo groupset, with white saddle, pedals and bar tape, and I have a pair of the 2nd gen Shamals with pink in the graphics that should look amazing on this bike. They are tubular though, so not my everyday wheels, so it will have some shiny clincher wheels to wear too.

I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas Eve, I'll post pics here when its all finished, but I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the lovely bikes contained here, amazing work.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 08-05-21, 11:06 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

botty kayer , good to gain another fan of Irio’s work👍,and yet another pink edition frame set. I’ll be looking forward to a build thread once you have the Super Prestige in hand.

Your build plan sounds like a nice choice, should be very nice to view and to ride. Hope you enjoy yours as much as many of us here do. I certainly enjoy my Prestige (and it’s pink😉!)

Bill
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 08-05-21, 06:09 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
this is the bike that inspired me to seek one out. Here's mine. I have put thousands of miles on it. The gruppo is a mish/mosh of Campy but suits me.

Likes For LouB:
Old 08-12-21, 01:07 PM
botty kayer

LouB the Tommasini water bottles are a nice finishing touch

My Tommasini frame arrived from Belgium last Saturday, many thanks to the seller Frank who was great throughout and did an excellent job of packing the frame. I built it up Sunday with the shiney-est components I had available, but then had 4 days of rain and crap weather that is typical of the UK even in the summer. A bike with so much chrome deserves to be appreciated in sunlight, so I've had a to wait a few days so see it really sparkle, but I must say for frame that in a few months will reach it 30th birthday, its scrubbed up rather well.

As mentioned previously the frame is from 1991 when bikes and kit were incredibly rowdy, and this is definitely in that category, a shy retiring type it is not. The frame is made from Columbus SLX, fitted with 10 speed Campagnolo drivetrain, Campagnolo BB, headset and seat post, 3ttt bars and stem, Cinelli saddle, and Fizik bar tape. And to confirm its Italian stallion status it has stampeding horses down both sides of the top tube, so I just hope my heart doesn't explode forever chasing them. For regular use I've got some Chorus hubs and Continental GP5000 clinchers.

And it shows a different colour array on the non-drive side

The wild horses close up

I've had these Campagnolo Shamal tubulars for a few years, but never had a bike the pink accents on the wheels go so well with, its like they were made for each other. So I had to see what it looks like wearing these wheels, which I think are things of beauty in their own right.

I absolutely love it, and look forward to many happy miles together.

Last edited by botty kayer; 08-12-21 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 01:29 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer

That is a beautiful ride.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 08-12-21, 01:51 PM
botty kayer

Thanks krakhaus
Old 08-12-21, 04:43 PM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

Finished this build last year - this paint scheme hides the blemishes well
Likes For SSRI:
Old 08-12-21, 09:31 PM
Celloplus 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
That is a beautiful ride.
chefs kiss 💋
Old 08-12-21, 09:35 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Celloplus

So this happened mid week. Not sure what direction I’m going to go on this bike, but I’m really excited to finally acquire this frame.

This paint job, outside of the Blue Paint/Yellow decal/font is to me, the best paint scheme/look for any Tommassini bike. Just amazing.
Old 08-13-21, 06:57 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Had one of those several years ago. In fact, there were so few of them made in each size with the chromed seat lugs (about half were painted, I think) that the frame may be the same:

Old 10-06-21, 12:47 PM
Trickie66

Bikes: Alan 1980, Gazelle Champion Mondial 1980, Concorde Aquila SL 1984, Tommasini Tecno El-OS 1996

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tommasini Prestige for sale

If you are looking for a red marbled Tommasini Prestige, I found one for sale in the Netherlands via 'marktplaats.nl'.

I'm not the seller but I know a lot of Tommasini fans are visiting this forum. 😉

Frame size 60. Asking price is 900 € but an offer is possible from 750 € onwards.

I'm not allowed to post a link or photo (10 post or more-rule). Maybe some other forum-member from the Netherlands or Belgium ...?
Old 10-16-21, 10:01 PM
RustySpokeTech

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
New Here

Hello, I have been building bikes for a non-profit bike shop in Phoenix for number of years. Recently someone donated a Tommasini frame and fork to the shop. Building bikes for a non-profit has its difficulties as one might imagine. The Tommasini presents even greater challenges. There isn't really the money to put the bike back to a factory like condition (i.e. full Campi group set, it only had one bb cup and the head set). I have been able to range a mostly intact Shimano 600 tri-color grey groupset, which I hope won't detract to greatly from the bikes value. What I'm hoping to get from some helpful and more knowledgeable enthusits is a better guess at the bikes age and market value From what I've been able to decearn, is it's a 77-78 racing edition. I'll post some pics tommorow. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-21, 04:32 AM
RustySpokeTech

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I guess I didn't see about the ten post restriction, so if I post some unimportant stuff to reach that threshold please excuse the apparent ramblings.
Old 12-07-21, 05:39 AM
RustySpokeTech

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Think I've met the post requirement.

I think this is a 78-79. Though I haven't remembered to measure it , it's likely about 56cm.

Likes For RustySpokeTech:
Old 12-07-21, 05:41 AM
RustySpokeTech

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
P.s.

I'll try and get some better pics up soon.
Old 12-07-21, 01:10 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Any sign of a serial number, anywhere? It’s quite a nice looking frame set.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-07-21, 01:25 PM
Mattdiano

Bikes: '83 Pinarello Super Record,'83 De Rosa Professional, '84 Guerciotti GLX7600, '91 Merckx Corsa Extra, 2004 Pinarello Dogma AK61 Magnesium, '13 Colnago World Cup, '14 Cinelli Experience, '16 DeRosa Planet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
It is tough to determine value...a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it! That being said, it has more value as a frame set and not built. Most people buying a Tommasini (not all, but most) will want to build it with Campagnolo. We see buying a built bike as a waste of money as those parts all have to come off, and we are paying for them, and for shipping. I cannot see the wheels and get a great idea of the condition, but somewhere around $400 for the frame and forks. I have a 1977 Tommasini racing and am selling the frame set for $400. I could possibly get more but could sit on it for quite some time. I don't see it getting over $600. It is a late 70's Columbus SL tubing frame. Great make, great frame, just not a really high ceiling on it. Built with Shimano 600...I would still try and get the buyer to strip the frame down. But if I was buying it built as shown...maybe 700-800? I am no expert, just telling you what I have seen. Built with Campagnolo....people like to get $1,200, but $1,000 is a little more realistic in my book. There are plenty with asking prices of $1,500 and the like...but they sit there and do not sell.
Old 12-07-21, 04:33 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
LouB the Tommasini water bottles are a nice finishing touch

My Tommasini frame arrived from Belgium last Saturday, many thanks to the seller Frank who was great throughout and did an excellent job of packing the frame. I built it up Sunday with the shiney-est components I had available, but then had 4 days of rain and crap weather that is typical of the UK even in the summer. A bike with so much chrome deserves to be appreciated in sunlight, so I've had a to wait a few days so see it really sparkle, but I must say for frame that in a few months will reach it 30th birthday, its scrubbed up rather well.

As mentioned previously the frame is from 1991 when bikes and kit were incredibly rowdy, and this is definitely in that category, a shy retiring type it is not. The frame is made from Columbus SLX, fitted with 10 speed Campagnolo drivetrain, Campagnolo BB, headset and seat post, 3ttt bars and stem, Cinelli saddle, and Fizik bar tape. And to confirm its Italian stallion status it has stampeding horses down both sides of the top tube, so I just hope my heart doesn't explode forever chasing them. For regular use I've got some Chorus hubs and Continental GP5000 clinchers.

And it shows a different colour array on the non-drive side

The wild horses close up

I've had these Campagnolo Shamal tubulars for a few years, but never had a bike the pink accents on the wheels go so well with, its like they were made for each other. So I had to see what it looks like wearing these wheels, which I think are things of beauty in their own right.

I absolutely love it, and look forward to many happy miles together.
Originally Posted by SSRI

Finished this build last year - this paint scheme hides the blemishes well
HELL YES! This is what I'm talking about.
Old 12-10-21, 09:58 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Merry Christmas to me! My grail bike has landed. ‘88-90 in Black Marble, 7400 Dura Ace. Mini build thread to come.
Likes For shoota:
Old 12-11-21, 08:50 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Hey Shoota, is that my bike?
Gotta check my garage.
Congrats on the new rig.
Whats the build plan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.