Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lack of Bike Parking!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lack of Bike Parking!

Old 08-25-21, 07:33 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette

As I was leaving I noticed a few SUV s parked and they all had bicycle racks. I then realised the shop caters to high end road cyclists who don’t cycle to the shop. So much for commuters…
If all those SUVs have bike racks, I'd say they were trail riders instead of road riders.
Old 09-01-21, 08:38 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
In some places any bike left unattended will be stripped of anything possible relatively soon after bike owner goes inside.

So maybe places intentionally don’t have bike racks so they don’t have to deal with upset patrons whose bike seat or wheels were just stripped off the bike?

I hope I’m wrong, but around here probably not.
Old 09-01-21, 06:44 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MacMorrighan
Hey guys, I plan to return to college to pursue my master's degree in vocal pedagogy and give singing lessons. Anyhow, I'll be moving from Iowa to southern Illinois, and the college I plan to start at has absolutely no bike parking infrastructure since I plan to commute back and forth from my apartment to the college and performing other errands, etc. I asked the Registrar's Office and Administration about this, and the only work around they could think of would be to strap my bike to a light post in the parking lot. But...that seems like it's asking someone to screw with it, because many college students still behave like children rather than adults! Also, I'd have to get special permission from the Security Department before doing so; and they could always reject the offer. What should I do, then? Honestly, I'm shocked that colleges don't simply buy a bike rack for potential students to use. I swear the last community college I attended had a bike rack! (A student from the dorm biked everywhere he went, and be had a booty to prove it!). What I found upsetting is that the college I'll be attending kept telling me over and over again that the school is not responsible for damaged or stollen property on campus property!

Another question is, what should I do when I need to park at a big box store for groceries (like Wal-Mart), or I want to see a movie at a movie theatre without any discernible bike racks of any kind and my bike might be out of sight for an hour or more?
Take it to your classes with you? and leave it at the back of the classroom while you are there?

Thats what i did mostly, saves time too, of course, that was when I was at UMass, more appropriately reffered to as ZUmass,

Last edited by Eds0123; 09-02-21 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 08:33 AM
Turnip5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good lock for when I commute into central London?
Old 09-07-21, 03:14 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
A U lock. I don’t know if you have the American brand Kryptonite over there but I’m sure you have Abus. From there it’s just a matter of weight. Thicker locks are harder to cut.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-07-21, 03:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
So very true. I recently went to this store to buy new tires , about 5 km both way and when I get there No place to lock my bike! I had to lock it
Without a support. Lets just say I was out the store asap.

As I was leaving I noticed a few SUV s parked and they all had bicycle racks. I then realised the shop caters to high end road cyclists who don’t cycle to the shop. So much for commuters…
I often bring my bike in with me and no one blinks.
Old 09-15-21, 05:48 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Any bike worth stealing is going to get stolen if left unattended. Friends have had success with a stripped down bike (no front derailleur, no lights, no rack, etc.) that they paint black or dayglo orange or dayglo green. Taking the front wheel with you when you go inside will also help. Best part is that with a $100 used bike if it is stolen your loss will be minor.