Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bikepacking bags/mounting points question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 12:49 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

I'm looking at purchasing a fat bike over the next few weeks. While I doubt I am going to find many long touring uses for it (maybe a return to the center of Iceland or running around the forests of Michigan's UP for a weekend), I am curious how critical mounting points are for the various bike packing options, even if for nothing other than day bag storage use. Are things like mid-fork bosses critical to be able to use many bags? Quite a few options I am considering don't have rack mounting bosses, I am curious if I don't get them now if it is going to really limit me later if I want to set it up with a bikepacking rig?

Last edited by jefnvk; 11-07-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 12:57 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm looking at purchasing a fat bike over the next few weeks. While I doubt I am going to find many long touring uses for it (maybe a return to the center of Iceland or running around the forests of Michigan's UP for a weekend), I am curious how critical mounting points are for the various bike packing options, even if for nothing other than day bag storage use. Are things like mid-fork bosses critical to be able to use many bags? Quite a few options I am considering don't have rack mounting bosses, I am curious if I don't get them now if it is going to really limit me later if I want to set it up with a bikepacking rig?
I have found Salsa Anything Cage mounts on the fork to be exceptionally useful. For winter commuting (and for non-winter too, since I ride a Surly Troll) I use a 10L rolltop bag strapped to each mount to carry clothing, shoes and food. You'd be surprised how much you can increase carrying capacity by puttying bags on the fork. Also, look for a bike that has bottle cage or anything cage mounts on the underside of the downtube.

Beyond those two spots it's all straps.
Old 11-07-17, 01:22 PM
jefnvk

Awesome, thanks! The Salsa fork bags were what I had in mind when I was thinking of this.
Old 11-07-17, 05:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I think the Salsa cages use three bolts, most others use two. I am not sure what the Blackburn Outpost cage uses. I have neither of these, so I can't advise further than that.

If I recall correctly, you are on a tight budget. For that reason you might be interested in this link:
How to make your own DIY handlebar roll harness | Bicycle Times Magazine
Old 11-07-17, 07:39 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If I recall correctly, you are on a tight budget. For that reason you might be interested in this link:
Meh, I often keep myself on a tight budget for projects, it makes things more interesting seeing what I can do without spending money. This is easily going to be the most I've ever plopped down on a bike and gear, it is a "congrats on a new job that is sending me to a snowy area" present t myself!

That is a pretty cool roll! I did a walk through Tree Fort bikes the other day, as they are local to me, someof their bikepacking gear was crazy!
Old 11-08-17, 03:21 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

You should be able to pick up a good condition used Salsa Mukluk for less than $1K. All the mounting points you will need. Great bike.
Old 11-08-17, 03:39 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by revcp
You should be able to pick up a good condition used Salsa Mukluk for less than $1K. All the mounting points you will need. Great bike.
I've got a thread on the bike itself going on in general, but to reiterate what I noted there, fat bikes by me don't pop up used all that often. Those that do are either beaten to hell, are asking nearly new prices, and the ones that are decent deals gone in a heartbeat (especially around that $1k mark). I've had a fat bike filter on my local CL for months now that I run through nearly daily, not much to show for it.

That, and I get mixed reviews of the Salsas handling 4.5-4.8" tires, and this is primarily for snow riding where I want the wider tires.

Last edited by jefnvk; 11-08-17 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 04:10 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've got a thread on the bike itself going on in general, but to reiterate what I noted there, fat bikes by me don't pop up used all that often. Those that do are either beaten to hell, are asking nearly new prices, and the ones that are decent deals gone in a heartbeat (especially around that $1k mark). I've had a fat bike filter on my local CL for months now that I run through nearly daily, not much to show for it.

That, and I get mixed reviews of the Salsas handling 4.5-4.8" tires, and this is primarily for snow riding where I want the wider tires.
A few things. First have you considered purchasing from someplace like the Twin Cities, where I am, where fat bikes are plentiful? I'd be happy to send links to you when I see something that would work for you.

Second, Muks a few years old and older won't fit 4.8", but that's not really an issue. I've been riding 3.8" to 4.0" since 2013, including twice riding the Arrowhead Ultra, and I've been fine. So have the majority of the riders I know. 4.8" is more marketing ploy than real necessity.
Old 11-08-17, 04:22 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
It seems like there are always creative ways to mount rear racks or even fork mounts without having the correct bosses. But if you know you want to go that route, I'd start with a bike that has the attachments.

A big factor is how much you pack. I am always trying to get my total gear down, but I'm always failing. I went from 4 panniers to 2, but that's usually two along with some other carrying options. I keep using my fork mounts for anything cages as an alternative to using a front rack. It works, and it helps me get more gear on the bike, but really I keep thinking I should eliminate enough gear to do without the anything cages. But I still keep using them.

And like @revcp says, if you're going for a full bikepacking set up, those fork mounts are the only real mounting points to worry about. But they do make for more versatile packing options. If it were me, I'd want mounts for a rear rack, and the 3-mount forks. But I'd settle for one or the other. I don't think I'd go with neither. But that's me. I carry too much junk.

I made a little chart to help me decide what I needed for bikepacking given what I was used to using for touring. Everything with volume in liters and cubic inches so I could decide if I could make the switch.

gear volume
ortleib backroller 20 1220
ortleib frontroller 12.5 763
ortleib accessor pack 3.5 213
Revelate Saltyroll 15 925
Surly Frame bag 8 500
Salsa anything bag 4.5 275
Revelate Terrapin 14 854
Old 11-08-17, 04:38 PM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
You can mount anything cages on just about any type of fork with Gorilla clips. I put a set on my Trek FX3 without issue. You can also even use a mix of mounting points with them. I made of short video of installing them and what they look like if you have interest.

I use a mixture in my bikepacking setup of Arkel Dry-Lites, frame bag, handlebar bag,and anything cages, etc. What I like about it is the ability to mix and match different setups depending on what my outing will be. Maximum flexibility for me and it seems to work pretty well. All my stuff is on my youtube channel if you have interest.

- Cpt. Bob
Old 11-08-17, 04:53 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I’d look at bikesdirect for a fat bike. I managed to find a used Moto on CL that needed upgrades, but they have great prices on nicely spec’d new bikes. The biggest issue you’ll have for bikepacking is the suspension fork if you go that route. Hard to attach cages, but a handlebar roll would work fine. Speaking of suspension forks, I would highly recommend getting one on a fat bike if you plan to ride singletrack. Not for snow, though.
Old 11-08-17, 05:09 PM
jefnvk

Thanks all. Actually pulled the trigger a little while ago, a Scott Big Jon is on its way (without fork mounts). After thinking about it a bit more, I realized my Carradice could probably take care of most my day trip needs, and the bike can handle a rear rack for anything more.

@zebkedic those look interesting, I'll keep them in mind!
Old 11-08-17, 05:14 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by alan s
I’d look at bikesdirect for a fat bike.
I would highly recommend getting one on a fat bike if you plan to ride singletrack. Not for snow, though.
This bike is Bluto compatible, if I decide to go front shock in the future, but for now it is a snow bike. I was really going back and forth on a BD bike, it was between this and a MB Sturgis, and eventually Jumbo Jim and full Shimano beat out Mulfut and fork brazeons.
Old 11-09-17, 04:50 PM
revcp 

Originally Posted by zebkedic
You can mount anything cages on just about any type of fork with Gorilla clips. I put a set on my Trek FX3 without issue. You can also even use a mix of mounting points with them. I made of short video of installing them and what they look like if you have interest.

https://youtu.be/CtT2nAakNB4

I use a mixture in my bikepacking setup of Arkel Dry-Lites, frame bag, handlebar bag,and anything cages, etc. What I like about it is the ability to mix and match different setups depending on what my outing will be. Maximum flexibility for me and it seems to work pretty well. All my stuff is on my youtube channel if you have interest.

- Cpt. Bob
Thanks for the heads up on the gorilla clips. Was not aware of them. I've upgraded my fatty from a Salsa Mukluk to a Borealis Yampa, but the Yampa has does not have anything cage attachments on the fork.
Old 11-12-17, 10:03 AM
zebkedic

Bikes: Surly ECR, Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Thanks for the heads up on the gorilla clips. Was not aware of them. I've upgraded my fatty from a Salsa Mukluk to a Borealis Yampa, but the Yampa has does not have anything cage attachments on the fork.
Glad it was helpful. A pretty neat solution to putting 3 braze layout on just about any tube or fork really.

- Cpt. Bob