Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Bikes Direct BMX Bikes,...

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 01-21-18, 06:48 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts

Looks like BD has decided to get involved in the BMX arms race. They have a few models of BMX bikes that I discovered today,...all 6061 aluminum, but still quite nice. Different size bikes as well,...

Gravity SuperFast BMX

Gravity Area51

Gravity Big Wake

Gravity CoJones EXPERT

Gravity CoJones PRO

I'm partial to the Area 51 & Big Wake models,...
Old 04-25-21, 04:23 PM
67Vert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for bike for my son who's about to turn 14. He's just going to cruise around neighborhood and is trying to learn to ride wheelies. He wanted an SE Bike Ripper/Flyer but none are to be found new in any shop. Prices are marked up crazy in in the aftermarket. Now I'm looking at this Gravity Big Wake 29' bike but can't seem to find any reviews or much info. Does anyone have any feed back on this bike?
Old 04-25-21, 07:59 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm sure that like most of their bikes, Bikes Direct's BMX offerings will be at least few steps above a department store bike. The spec sheet isn't bad -- decent chain, tires, brakes, and headset, and sealed hubs and a Euro bottom bracket. They're no-name components for the most part, but that's how they hit that price point. I'd like to know what the handlebar is made of. There's no geometry chart that I can see, so the ride quality is a bit of a crapshoot. I've dealt with several Bikes Direct bikes that customers have brought in to have built or serviced, and as much as my prejudices would like to tell you that they're junk, that really isn't the case. Not sure about the longevity under hard use/abuse, but for neighborhood cruising and wheelies, it should be more than adequate.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-26-21, 07:11 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by 67Vert
I'm looking for bike for my son who's about to turn 14. He's just going to cruise around neighborhood and is trying to learn to ride wheelies. He wanted an SE Bike Ripper/Flyer but none are to be found new in any shop. Prices are marked up crazy in in the aftermarket. Now I'm looking at this Gravity Big Wake 29' bike but can't seem to find any reviews or much info. Does anyone have any feed back on this bike?
How tall is he? The Gravity Big 20 kind of looks like an expert-sized race bike only with pro-sized wheels and not-very-fast tires. If your kid was interested in racing, would be fine for their first year, but if he's taller than about 5' that might be a little cramped, the Big24 probably good up to 5'8" or so, and if in USA or BMX Canada sanction, can use a 24" wheel bike in Novice class.
Though that's some pretty steep gearing on the Big24.....
Old 05-11-21, 05:34 PM
aryharun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freestyle BMX

The BMX Cinematic Freestyle