Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

20” tubeless rims and tires

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 06-29-19, 06:47 PM
2bridges1bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Has anyone here tried using 20” tubeless rims and tires?? What are your thoughts?
Old 09-22-19, 07:09 PM
gitanesearch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I remember them I think... they were a fad and too much for most people to bother with... I could be wrong and be remembering wrong.
Old 09-24-19, 02:56 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
My BMX rims are tubeless ready, though I’ve never had the inclination to run them that way. For starters, I haven’t seen a large selection of tubeless BMX tires out there.
Old 09-24-19, 03:49 PM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I know lots of Mountain Bikers and Roadies are starting to use them...

Never seen or heard of one on a BMX.
Old 03-01-20, 09:21 PM
DuneRider

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Been wondering about that too...

I got the new Tubolito ultra light tubes, but tubeless would be nice to try out because of the puncture resistance/ pinch flat resistance... Would love to hear if anyone’s tried it!
Old 04-02-20, 07:47 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts
Alienation TCS is the only system pushing tubeless for BMX that I'm aware of.

I talk to some guys that do it for racing - mostly the 'factory dads' on their kids' bikes if they've got an MTB background, and some of the top end riders. IRC Siren Pro for sure goes tubeless, along with some tires from Alienation that I haven't seen much. It is real that on road bikes the rolling resistance measures less with tubeless than tubed or tubular, and BMX tracks are mostly so smooth nowadays that should translate - but the difference is not huge.

A benefit I can think of for freestyle would be the same as MTB - to be able to run low pressures without pinch-flatting. I don't know whether lower pressures are desirable for tricks at all.
Old 04-02-20, 11:11 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Everyone is different, from what I gather, about the PSI. Part of it has to do with how big of a tire you're using, how big of jumps you are using. Etc etc. It's all very complicated and really comes down to what a guy likes. I've heard a few guys with fat tires run them low-ish but typically the bigger they are the more PSI you want cuz they roll better. And fat tires feel more sluggish apparently.

I don't know, I'm still learning about it all but from what I can tell there is not a big following or scene for tubeless tires. It seems like it would be asking for trouble, IMHO. Seems like it would be easy to let some air escape when hitting curbs and such. Unless they lock into the rim somehow. I don't know. I follow some pros and I have not seen any of them using tubeless tires yet. There may be someone out there doing it though.
Old 06-17-20, 07:36 PM
Bertrand Boxest

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
i prefer this one definitly 20
Old 12-04-20, 06:26 PM
BoneMonkey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read a bit about the "fad". Over all, it seems most people don't like them. They create too much of a mess, and are not worth the trouble or price. This is simply what I have read and viewed on the internet, not my own experience. There are some good Youtube videos out there about them.