Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is faster: KENT GZR700 Road Bike vs Trek FX2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-26-20, 07:51 PM
littleArnold

Bikes: Trek, Schwinn, Huffy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have seen some well reviewed very cheap road bikes. This is an all steel one by Kent.

KENT GZR700 Road Bike - steel road bike

would this ride at same speed as my Trek FX2 Hybrid or faster?

With my budget if I got a road bike I could only afford a very cheap one - Kent one is $189.00 on Amazon

I have figured if that is all I can afford I am better just sticking with my FX 2 for a few years till my financial situation improves, unless the Kent would ride better on paved surfaces and roads than my hybrid. I do live in an area with a lot of small hills. The Hybrid is Aluminum this road bike is steel..

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-20, 09:45 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
No $190 bike from Amazon is worth the space it takes up
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-26-20, 10:04 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Stick with the FX2 or buy something better used. That Kent is budget everything.
Likes For znomit:
Old 06-26-20, 11:50 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
If you’re looking to get more speed, upgrade that engine - healthy diet/lifestyle, plenty of training miles. From there, look to optimize your position on the bike. Doing those 2 things will net you more than any $10,000 bike will, and guess what - they’re not relatively budget friendly!
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 06-27-20, 04:18 PM
littleArnold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah I will probably just stick with the hybrid and not bother with a cheap road bike unless I can find a used schwinn varsity that is in good shape.
Old 06-27-20, 06:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
Yeah I will probably just stick with the hybrid and not bother with a cheap road bike unless I can find a used schwinn varsity that is in good shape.
Why would a cheap varsity be better than your trek?
Old 06-28-20, 07:41 PM
littleArnold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why would a cheap varsity be better than your trek?
...because I really know nothing about what makes a bike faster over another one and I was just guessing?

I was guessing because the varsity has much thinner tires and has the bent handlebars allowing the rider to assume a more hunched over power position that let you put more your legs and hips into cycling that this would equate to faster performance, but that was a guess.

on my Trek and in the gym on the stationary bike when I lean forward I seem to have more strength in my legs and hips to push the pedals downs at a faster pedal rotation speed in higher gears, pedaling seems easier for me in that position. On my trek I don't have any handlebars for the hunched over position so I just rest my elbows on the bike.

I thought the thinner the tires are = the faster the bike?

...and I thought the Varsity would be better than the Kent? If I did get the varsity since I am a smaller rider... probably would need size 117 17" or Junior 24" varsity...

I am only guessing?

Last edited by littleArnold; 06-28-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-28-20, 09:09 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
All things being equal you are generally correct

But that Kent is so much lower quality than your trek that it would most likely be slower than your trek

If you were talking about a roadbike of equivalent quality to your hybrid then things would be different
Old 06-28-20, 09:31 PM
sewupnut

Bikes: 2005 Seven Odonata (DuraAce /Reynolds),1983 Trek 950 (Mavic/Suntour/Regina), 1986 Stumpjumper Shimano/Suntour/Regina), 1986 MASI 3V, (Campy/Mavic/Regina) 1995 Schwinn LeTour (Suntour/Wienmann/Phil/Shimano/Regina): All Brooks Saddles

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by littleArnold
I have seen some well reviewed very cheap road bikes. This is an all steel one by Kent.

KENT GZR700 Road Bike - steel road bike

would this ride at same speed as my Trek FX2 Hybrid or faster?

With my budget if I got a road bike I could only afford a very cheap one - Kent one is $189.00 on Amazon

I have figured if that is all I can afford I am better just sticking with my FX 2 for a few years till my financial situation improves, unless the Kent would ride better on paved surfaces and roads than my hybrid. I do live in an area with a lot of small hills. The Hybrid is Aluminum this road bike is steel..

Thoughts?
A bike is only as fast as the person who is riding it. And heavy steel bikes get a lot more momentum going downhill.
Old 06-28-20, 09:45 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
The drop bars on the Kent will allow you the attain a more aero position, which might improve your efficiency at speed, but the bike itself seems pretty crappy - 31 lb, dubious reliability - the reviews on Amazon are pretty bad - there’s a real risk that a year from now you’ll have a $189 bike in need of repair but not worth repairing