Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling glasses with some modern helmets: over straps or under straps?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling glasses with some modern helmets: over straps or under straps?

Old 06-17-21, 06:59 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I wear under too. My sunglasses are prescription, so I basically don't take them off. If the straps were underneath, my glasses would likely be flying off my head, and possibly getting scratched, on every ride at the coffee stop.
Yup. Under. And that includes my sunglasses over my prescription glasses.

Imagine in cold weather and you have to wear a cap over your ears? Who wears glasses where the the arms aren't sitting on your ears?
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-17-21, 07:31 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
I would love to see a scientific study that proves wearing glasses under the straps of a helmet means that the helmet straps are not properly adjusted ant will prevent the helmet from protecting you.
You can never 'prove' anything scientifically, it's not possible. Like Newton's first law doesn't 'prove' anything about gravity, it only describes and predicts the motion of objects.

"Cyclist head and facial injury risk in relation to helmet fit: a case-control study."
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

While this doesn't prove anything, you can see from this qualitative study that anything that deviates from an almost 'ideal' fit the probability of getting an injury was much higher. .

Now in this study it doesn't distinguish if the helmet tipped back or moved to the side because it was too big or if the straps weren't adjusted properly, but you can infer that anything that could lead to these conditions (fit, straps, etc.) can lead to a reduction of the helmet's effectiveness in a crash. But my thinking is if the straps not as tight as they could otherwise be to accommodate glasses underneath or they stretch out then you may be at greater risk of the helmet tipping back than you would be otherwise opening yourself up to injury. But we can't really prove that can we?

My Specialized helmet only says not to wear anything under the helmet and not to attach anything to it like camera or mirrors, but nothing about something under the straps specifically. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to sue for that specific warning to get added by the lawyers! I might be paranoid about safely equipment, but I always ask myself, "Am I paranoid enough?"
Old 06-17-21, 08:10 PM
runner pat

Bikes: Invacare Force 3 handcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I wear two pairs like Robert Stack did in Airplane!
Likes For runner pat:
Old 06-17-21, 08:12 PM
kirbyx

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I'm not very smart.
When I wear straps under the sunglasses, without thinking, I sometimes whip my helmet off first. Which sends the sunglasses flying. Can't happen with straps over the sunglasses.
Likes For kirbyx:
Old 06-17-21, 09:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I wear my glasses under the straps. I've pulled my glasses off my head when removing the helmet when I wore the glasses outside the straps. I've never accidentally yanked the helmet off my head by wearing my glasses the "wrong" way.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-17-21, 11:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,576 Times in 2,894 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I see a lot of cyclists not wearing helmets lately but they do wear sunglasses.
I call them potential organ donors.

Old 06-18-21, 06:42 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Over the straps.

Rule #37: // The arms of the eyewear shall always be placed over the helmet straps.No exceptions. This is for various reasons that may or may not matter; it’s just the way it is.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-18-21, 06:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
one can avoid the issue w/ a helmet that has an eye shield
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-18-21, 08:08 AM
fettsvenska 

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
As a practical matter, I've had to get a helmet off my head as quickly as possible because a stinging insect flew into the vent (more than once); and I'm blind without glasses. Don't want to get stung, want to be able to see to continue riding safely ... I'll keep wearing my helmet over my glasses.

As for the pro look, well, nobody looking at me has made that mistake.
Same thing has happened to me 3 times and since I had my glasses under the straps I was able to remove my helmet without stopping. One time it was while I was riding in a duathlon and so it slowed me down but at least I didn't have to come to a complete stop.
Likes For fettsvenska:
Old 06-18-21, 08:51 AM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
one temple piece under (left) and one over (right)
gm
Old 06-18-21, 09:13 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

It depends on the width of the lenses. It’s not about style but function, unless you are about style over function, then you might need more help than you can find here. . I seriously doubt that any thinking person would give it a second thought how you wear them.

Old 06-18-21, 10:11 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I know this is heresy to some, but my glasses are more important than my helmet. They go directly on my head so they stay on, even if my helmet gets jarred.

I need glasses to see. Being a fashion statement, reducing sun glare and keeping bugs out of my eyes are nice extras.
Old 06-18-21, 10:23 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
It depends on the helmet and the sunglasses shape. On my current helmet with the glasses I usually wear while riding, going under smashes the arms of the glasses painfully against my temple and/or pulls the nosepiece too hard into my face, so I go over (when I think about it - or ride outside at all, mainly Zwift these days and not at all after being hit by a car a month ago as my bike and back are not functional). Other helmets that aren't as tight against the temple or glasses that don't go as far out before coming back in, and I might go under.
Old 06-18-21, 10:59 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I wear glasses, so I wear them under the straps. I don't want to take a tumble and risk my glasses flying off to parts unknown, leaving me essentially blind. That's also why I wear a strap on my glasses while riding, so if they do come off they will hopefully just dangle around my neck.
Actually, you DO want your glasses to fly off to parts unknown if you crash. Take this from someone who wore glasses on a strap, crashed, and narrowly missed losing an eye (65+ stitches - 3 layers deep - in my right eyebrow).
Old 06-18-21, 11:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I wear my glasses under the straps. I've pulled my glasses off my head when removing the helmet when I wore the glasses outside the straps. I've never accidentally yanked the helmet off my head by wearing my glasses the "wrong" way.
Strap over the glasses, both helmet and glasses feel quite secure because it's really being on both sides of the ears and under the jaw that secures the helmet straps. Put anything between the glasses and my head, however, and it's bound to knock the glasses loose. Me losing my glasses while riding would be a disaster--I'd basically be blind.

Last edited by livedarklions; 06-18-21 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-18-21, 11:30 AM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Sigh... I don't care what "the rules" say, since I'm the one who makes cycling rules, not the one who follows them. Also, I don't really care that much about losing my cycling glasses when taking off the helmet, since my cycling glasses are not corrective (I wear contacts). And, of course, I'm already well used to the fact that when taking off the helmet glasses should be taken off first. Yet I believe that a properly designed helmet should have its straps laying flat on the wearer's head for their entire length. The strap attachment points should be located on the inner surface of the helmet (or very close to it). What Specialized did with its Prevail II is weird. (I have no experience with the original Prevail, so I don't know whether it was also like that).

I ended up retuning this helmet. Got myself a POC Ventral Air SPIN instead. POCs are somewhat goofy and not as "serious" looking as Specialized helmets. POC's design definitely borrows something from mushrooms from Mario universe. But deep in my soul I have always wanted a POC. So, this was my chance. That POC does not suffer from this issue.

Last edited by AndreyT; 06-18-21 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 12:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by AndreyT
Sigh... I don't care what "the rules" say, since I'm the one who makes rules, not the one who follows them. Also, I don't really care that much about losing my cycling glasses when taking off the helmet, since my cycling glasses are not corrective (I wear contacts). And, of course, I'm already well used to the fact that when taking off the helmet glasses should be taken off first. Yet I believe that a properly designed helmet should have its straps laying flat on the wearer's head for their entire length. The strap attachment points should be located on the inner surface of the helmet (or very close to it). What Specialized did with its Prevail II is weird. (I have no experience with the original Prevail, so I don't know whether it was also like that).

I ended up retuning this helmet. Got myself a POC Ventral Air SPIN instead. POCs are somewhat goofy and not as "serious" looking as Specialized helmets. POC's design definitely borrows something from mushrooms from Mario universe. But deep in my soul I have always wanted a POC. So, this was my chance. That POC does not suffer from this issue.
falling or failing 7 times sounds painful

Old 06-18-21, 01:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Yup. Under. And that includes my sunglasses over my prescription glasses.
Imagine in cold weather and you have to wear a cap over your ears? Who wears glasses where the the arms aren't sitting on your ears?
Why would wearing glasses over straps keep the arms from resting on your ears?
Old 06-18-21, 06:31 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
one temple piece under (left) and one over (right)
gm
Be careful with this, as this will cause you to dog-track crookedly down the road.
Old 06-18-21, 10:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
...Got myself a POC Ventral Air SPIN instead. POCs are somewhat goofy and not as "serious" looking as Specialized helmets. POC's design definitely borrows something from mushrooms from Mario universe. But deep in my soul I have always wanted a POC. So, this was my chance. That POC does not suffer from this issue.
You'll like the POC in summer heat. The ventilation is excellent. I have an Omne Air Spin. I originally intended it only for riding my hybrid, but wound up wearing it often on the road bikes in summer daytime rides for the better ventilation. Only problem with the Omne Air Spin is the brow is a bit low so when I'm in the drops I have to crane my neck up a bit for an unobstructed view. So I don't wear it for harder workout rides when I expect to be in the drops, or with aero bars. I have other helmets for that.
Old 06-19-21, 06:40 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I wear my sunglasses under the straps. A habit from wearing a "beanie helmet" when riding my Harley.
My full-face helmet has a built in visor.....but I digress.
Old 06-21-21, 11:57 AM
olddcarnutjag

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are getting money from your sponsor, don’t hide the logo, It started with golf you get a close up side shot while putting, that why the logos moved to the sleeve.
Old 06-21-21, 11:59 AM
REV160

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I go over the straps for safety, not for looks. If you crash, you want your glasses to go flying off you rather than to be pushed into your eye or face possibly causing loss of sight or permanent disfigurement. If your new helmet does not allow you to put the glasses over the straps, I'd suggest returning the helmet.
Old 06-21-21, 02:06 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
And then always remember rule #5
Old 06-21-21, 03:33 PM
REV160

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rule # 5 would say to pick up your eyeball from the road along with those bloody hunks of skin from your face, straighten out your handlebars, and finish the ride; but it would not say to intentionally do something foolish that requires invoking Rule #5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.