Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Time to update - to one of these?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 04:01 PM
SteveG23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I am recently retired and currently riding my 1969 3-speed Schwinn Racer; which I've had from new and am still pretty happy with it, except that (a) some parts are wearing out that will be hard to replace (certain cables), and (b) it's pretty heavy. I'm not a competitive biker, but generally do three 20-mile rides a week (plus shorter ones), on suburban streets and (mainly paved) bike trails with some hills. I sometimes carry my Schwinn plus another bike on my car bike carrier, so weight matters somewhat.

My local bike shop is recommending a Reid City Original, like this one: https://www.reidbikes.com/product/original-city-bike/, for $450, or a Marin Kentfield 1, like this one: https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-kentfield-1, for $480. Both are significantly lighter than what I have now and I like their physical layout (handlebars, shifters, etc.). I'm inclined toward the Marin, which has disc brakes - the shop owner (sensibly, I think) says I don't need disc brakes but they are lower maintenance. This price range is OK, but I wouldn't want to go much higher without a good reason. I can get something for significantly less on Amazon with what appear to be similar overall characteristics, but not the same ones, and I don't think this shop is overcharging me at all. Any comments on these, or other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-07-21, 05:58 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
My personal opinion would favor the Marin bike. Not because of the disc brakes, but because of the shifter. The Marin has the rapid fire shifter, where as the Reid has the grip shift Revo shifter.

Now, others may say otherwise, but I haven't had good experience with the Revo shifter. It was on my daughters bike and it was really hard to shift for me let alone a young girl at the time. Her current bike has the rapid fire shifters and it's much easier to use.

Honestly, I think you need to stick with that bike shop. Sounds to me like they are really able to help you out and you won't get that from Amazon.

I like the red on the Marin bike...but that green color on the Reid is really nice. I think you would get your money's worth though with the Marin.

Edit: OH and another thing I just noticed. The Marin has a more modern cassette, where as the Reid has an older freewheel. In the future when these two wear out, the cassette will be easier to find and replace. Or to upgrade should you want. The reid's crankset has a 42 tooth chainring. That is a great if you like going faster, but if your not fast, the smaller 38 tooth chainring on the Marin would be more comfortable to ride and better to ride up the hills with.

Last edited by travbikeman; 09-07-21 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 09-07-21, 07:05 PM
SteveG23

Originally Posted by travbikeman
My personal opinion would favor the Marin bike. Not because of the disc brakes, but because of the shifter. [remainder skipped]
Great input - thanks.
Likes For SteveG23:
Old 09-07-21, 07:42 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I agree with travbikeman that it sounds like your local shop will get you taken care of in either case.

On the brake subject, both disc and rim brakes have specific pros and cons. I've owned all of them -- various types of rim brakes, cable-operated disc brakes, and hydraulic disc brakes. I like hydraulic disc brakes on a mountain bike where there are often a lot of environmental contaminants (dirt, mud, etc.) and where you need a lot of braking power. For most other uses, however, I've come to prefer the ease and performance of good rim brakes. Linear pull brakes (like what come on that Reid) are easy to setup and very effective -- especially with high quality brake pads like Kool-Stop. If you plan to bike in mostly dry weather and at moderate speeds, I'd keep an open mind to rim brakes.

If possible, ride both and see what strikes your fancy. A test ride will likely tell what the best option is for you.
Old 09-07-21, 07:49 PM
SteveG23

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I agree with travbikeman that it sounds like your local shop will get you taken care of in either case. <snip>
If possible, ride both and see what strikes your fancy. A test ride will likely tell what the best option is for you.
Thanks. I will ask for a test ride before buying. I have no strong preference between brake types.

Last edited by SteveG23; 09-08-21 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-07-21, 09:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I also prefer the (red!) Marin, better build for the price; but it's your butt, and a test ride should tell you a lot. Just make sure the bikes are set up properly. Let us know which one you choose!
Old 09-08-21, 07:15 PM
SteveG23

I got the Marin

Picked it up today. I didn't care much about the color, but the one on the sales floor was indeed the dark red people chose from the manufacturer's site. I was able to take it for a test drive on the local streets near the dealership before buying, and it felt good - brakes, shifting, handgrips, general fit. I do like the shift mechanism, though it will take a little getting used to. I may change the seat, but the original, although skinny, is more comfortable than I expected. I haven't taken it for a longer ride yet; spent a while transferring things like the lights, speedometer/odometer, etc. from my old one. (The last item took a while because there is significant clearance between the forks and the spokes, where the magnetic sensor has to align closely.) And it goes on my car carrier a lot more easily! I was very pleased with the dealership: Never Ending Cycles, in Streamwood IL.

Now my project is to work on the old Schwinn - all its bearings are long, long overdue for overhaul - before deciding whether to sell it or give it away.

Thanks for the input, folks. I'll get back here if I discover anything surprising about it.
Likes For SteveG23:
Old 09-08-21, 11:55 PM
Prodigy4299

Bikes: 1990 Trek 850, 2005 Cannondale R1000, 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
Great to hear that you got the new bike.

A couple of pointers to keep in mind:

1) There is no correlation between seat width and comfort. The seat that's on the bike may or may nor work with your butt, but getting a wider one is no guarantee that the second will be more comfortable.

2) Disc brakes (much more so than rim brakes) require bedding in for proper performance. Park Tools did a great video on it:

It'll take just a few minutes and makes a huge difference in braking performance.

Enjoy the bike!
Old 09-10-21, 05:30 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Congrats on the Marin! They made good bikes and hopefully still do.
I bought a Marin Muirwoods in 1995 BNIB, I put a ton of miles on it and never left me stranded.
My son (1 yr younger than the bike) now rides it and prefers it over his modern hybrid.