Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which bike should I choose? Need quick help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-21, 11:39 PM
Tobias_MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hello everyone,

I’m new to mountainbiking and therefore looking for a little advice regarding a new bike.

I’ve been offered a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 (Carbon) from 2013 with full Shimano XTR gear group, that haven’t been used that much, for what seems to be a GREAT price.

Seeing that it is an older bike however the original gear system is 27-speed and the wheel size is 26” and I’m therefore wondering if it would just be better to go for a cheaper alternative (new bike) with 12-speed and 27,5” which I think would be my preferred wheel size?

I do not have the option to purchase a high end full suspension bike as a new bike, so this “old” Trek is really talking to me :-)

Need help fairly quickly considering that I only have today to consider the Trek bike, before he will sell it elsewhere!

Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-21, 06:23 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
If you are new to mountain-biking it is very unlikely that an older high-end bike would hold you back at all.
I bought a 2007 Cannondale--24 speeds, 26" wheels--but it also had a full Fox Float suspension, and was in superb condition. The bike has capabilities way beyond what I need .... and maybe won't ever need.

It all depends on whether the bike fits, first and foremost .... and what shape the bike is in, not just superficially. Make sure the suspension is in good shape--you can buy a cheap bike and steal the drivetrain, but you cannot buy cheap suspension. if the forks and shock are in good shape, the bike fits, and the ancillary systems work, it might be a good deal.
Old 09-15-21, 07:11 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
If it is the correct frame size, get it. Don't fall for number of gears marketing. If you have the gear range (biggest and smallest) you need, it doesn't matter if it is 8, 9, 10, or 11 speeds. I shave been riding single speeds for 20 years, they still get me around just fine.
Old 09-15-21, 07:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
If it is the correct frame size, get it. Don't fall for number of gears marketing. If you have the gear range (biggest and smallest) you need, it doesn't matter if it is 8, 9, 10, or 11 speeds.
Yup. Unless you are racing at a level where your bike is free from a sponsor, a few extra ratios won't make your ride better.
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I shave been riding single speeds for 20 years, they still get me around just fine.
He has been riding single speed in the mountains of Texas. He'd be walking if he tried to ride up an actual mountain.

(not trying to be mean .... but if your mountains do rise up into the clouds, 42/17 isn't going to get you there.)
Old 09-15-21, 07:48 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yup. Unless you are racing at a level where your bike is free from a sponsor, a few extra ratios won't make your ride better. He has been riding single speed in the mountains of Texas. He'd be walking if he tried to ride up an actual mountain.

(not trying to be mean .... but if your mountains do rise up into the clouds, 42/17 isn't going to get you there.)
I've been all over the country.
Old 09-15-21, 07:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Well seeing how you posted in the General Discussion instead of the Mountain Biking sub-forum, I'll assume you want to generally discuss this and get the views of everyone.

So....

Are you nuts? Get a road bike instead!

No, I'm kidding. If you want a mountain bike and will be off the paved roads and paved paths, then go for it. However generally, I have no idea what to recommend but probably a higher percentage of those that go into the mountain biking sub-forum will have an idea.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-16-21, 01:40 PM
Tobias_MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all for your replies :-)

i bought the bike and it feels amazing!
Likes For Tobias_MTB:
Old 09-16-21, 02:30 PM
kahn